Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Has anyone updated to Oreo beta and toggled on Pixel Visual core yet?

I have but from what I read on AC, it only activates the camera goodies in other apps. I haven't done much picture taking to test. But I have seen reports on reddit and other online forums that it has sped up the camera performance in general and HDR doesn't take as long to process.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-enable-pixel-visual-core-hdr-plus-android-81-google-pixel-2

AC said:
So here's the thing: enabling HAL HDR+ doesn't change the photo quality from the built-in camera app — after all, it already has HDR+ on its own without utilizing the Pixel Visual Core. Because this is a beta release, the focus is on enabling the Pixel Visual Core for third-party apps to use. Once you turn on HAL HDR+ processing, any third-party app that plugs into the standard Android Camera APIwill have its photos processed with the Pixel Visual Core, giving them the HDR+ treatment much in the same way the Google camera app does already purely with proprietary processing software.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
My Panda was delivered today and is waiting for me now (i am still at work). Will compare it to my Note 8 and we will see who takes the crown:D

Very different user experiences, imo. Neither one better or worse, just a breed apart. I think the Note 8 is the single best smartphone on the planet right now. Samsung hit it out of the ballpark, and this is insane to suggest but based on the X and Pixel hype, the Note 8 seems a bit of a sleeper. I've been running mine into the ground for over 3 months now and it does not skip a beat. Pixel XL is all about speed and fluidity. Note 8 is fast compared to past Samsung devices but it still can't match stock on a Pixel.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Soooo, what is the verdict so far with the replacement?

I am not sorry whatsoever I did the 50% off Verizon deal with trade-in. This smartphone is aces as far as I am concerned.
It has been great so far. Still has the blue tint of course but it is not noticeable unless i look for it.

I enrolled in the beta program and got 8.1 installed. I like it so far. I will take some pics this weekend and post them.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
It has been great so far. Still has the blue tint of course but it is not noticeable unless i look for it.

I enrolled in the beta program and got 8.1 installed. I like it so far. I will take some pics this weekend and post them.

How is stability on 8.1 beta? Phone runs so smoothly I'd hate to do anything to change that experience.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Does anyone know if the display used on the Pixel 2 (non-XL) uses PWM? There are a few threads about this with the iPhone X about people mentioning they've had eye strain/headaches. I've noticed that I've been having more headaches than I normally would and I'm trying to determine if it's the phone screen causing it. I've used this phone for about a month now and didn't make the correlation until I read the threads in the iPhone section.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Just a quick snap with portrait mode. So easy go get a clean pic from this thing.

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20171129135559924_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20171129135559924_COVER.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 99
Reactions: deany and nospleen

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Hmm delivery by end of day today :eek:

Will see :confused:

--

Edit:

It just showed up not too long ago. Got it halfway set up enough to get in to open up developer settings and USB debugging so I can bootloader unlock. Accidentally took the OTA before I could unlock things, but thats ok. I am waiting for it to install now. I kind of think my sister may actually want root. o_O

Edit 2:

And my sister is now a part of team burn in! I mean team pixel! :p
A side note, I took a glance at the updated color mode for the device and there is for sure a difference! I mean kind of way saturated, but I have using the muted colors on mine. For some reason I see the saturated mode to be a bit more prone to burn in. Hope this is not the case.

Last edited:

Kiezpirat80

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Germany
Very different user experiences, imo. Neither one better or worse, just a breed apart. I think the Note 8 is the single best smartphone on the planet right now. Samsung hit it out of the ballpark, and this is insane to suggest but based on the X and Pixel hype, the Note 8 seems a bit of a sleeper. I've been running mine into the ground for over 3 months now and it does not skip a beat. Pixel XL is all about speed and fluidity. Note 8 is fast compared to past Samsung devices but it still can't match stock on a Pixel.
Yes pixel is fast but I cannot see a big difference compared to my note 8 and ram management is even worse.
My panda has a blue tint which is noticeable, but I could live with that.
The thing which ruins the panda for me is the black smear, I never saw this before but when turning down brightness in bed and scrolling through Twitter and Tapatalk I noticed it immediately.
The black smear even happened when I cranked up the brightness to 40%.
So goodbye pixel 2 XL and back to Note 8.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

Could not decide between the two of them after I had them at the same team. So guess what I ended up doing?
:)

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I just switched my color setting to Boosted from Saturated. I noticed a HUGE difference in photos comparing my P2XL and my iPad Pro 12.9, which I consider to have fantastically accurate colors. The pics on the P2XL looked a little silly side by side. Boosted looks pretty good and once my eyes adjust to the reduced saturation I’ll decide. But side by side, Boosted on the P2XL looks almost indiscernible from the iPad Pro when viewing the same image on both.

Just my $0.02.
[doublepost=1512060562][/doublepost]
I wish the AOD on my Pixel 2 XL would show battery percentage

I too wish AOD was more flexible. Some various clock styles, calender, battery, etc. I like what Samsung and LG offer on that front. Hopefully Google will either build in for functionality or allow 3rd party tweaks

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.