Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Did the Pixel 1 use Samsung? When I played around with the 1st gen Pixel the screen looked fine.

Both the Pixel 1 and Pixel 1 XL used Samsung screens. The smaller Pixel 2 uses a Samsung panel as well and has a better screen than the 2 XL because of no grain and normal blue tint.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don’t know. The LG V30 seems good for some people. But you had one and didn’t much care for it, right?

I did kind of wonder how Google was going to manage to put out a phone this year when for months we didn’t hear many solid rumors about them locking down a manufacturer. I wasn’t even expecting a Pixel release this year. I was pleasantly surprised when it happened, but now deeply disappointed with how things have played out for most of us who gave it a good faith effort at a Pixel 2.

About the iPhone X displays, are you all aware of the thread about some MR forum members having to give up their iPhone X’s due to unusual eye strain on the mild end and debilitating migraines at the extreme end? I’m a migraine sufferer who can get a variant that’s so severe it resembles an extended grand mal seizure. A really bad one can render me unable to speak, read, write or even comprehend speech for hours to days. Fortunately, over time I’ve identified all of my triggers and rearranged my life to avoid them as much as humanly possible. There is one grocery store I can’t shop at anymore because they redid their lighting and I need be in there for only a few minutes and lose the ability to speak. Jeez! :confused::eek:

Yet at worse with the X, I get some eye strain and find it a bit difficult to focus on text. There’s a subtle flicker to the display. Pulse width modulation I think is what the more technology fluent members said it was and it causes people who have never before had a migraine to end up at the doctors office in great pain and suffering. Wow. Oddly enough my distance vision has noticeably improved since I got my X. I can now get around small rooms fine without my glasses. I’ve been like Mr. Magoo for over 20 years (super nearsighted cartoon character for you Millennials who never heard of him) so this is a rather odd development for me. Tech and the human body work in mysterious ways!

Some folks there on that thread say the LG displays don’t use pwm. So I suppose there’s that to be thankful for.

So what do you all think is going to happen with the Pixel2/XL line? It was released only in October/November so I wonder if it is still way too soon for Google to give up on it and leave the output as trouble prone as it is. I know from how it worked out for my family and IPhone 7 Plus that Apple hustled pretty fast to ensure the batches sold around Christmas didn’t have the issues that plagued the 7’s at release. None of our 7 Plus phones nor those of friends who bought way after the preorders had the trouble with hiss and whatever else people were reporting about their early release units.

Do you think Google is going to be able to tighten up quality control for the next batches and get LG to up their game on the display issues? Or has that ship sailed and they’re just going to focus on Pixel 3 now?
The HTC u11+ has a LCD display and wireless charging and IP68 certification and an all around better build quality than the current 2XL. Google was to decide between the HTC u11+ and the current 2XL built by LG as the 2 versions in the running to become the Pixel 2 XL. They went with the LG version and have had a lot of quality control issues.

I have read some of the threads about X users getting headaches and eye strain because of the screen flicker and pulse modulation. I myself had some eye strain as well.

I am on my second 2XL and have started to have touch issues on the display. Sometimes i have to touch the display a couple times for the touch to register......

So frustrated with the quality issues on this phone! Between the display and now the touch issues I am going to send this one back and just slip this years model.

I wish Google had gone with the HTC u11+ as this years 2XL........

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The HTC u11+ has a LCD display and wireless charging and IP68 certification and an all around better build quality than the current 2XL. Google was to decide between the HTC u11+ and the current 2XL built by LG as the 2 versions in the running to become the Pixel 2 XL. They went with the LG version and have had a lot of quality control issues.

I have read some of the threads about X users getting headaches and eye strain because of the screen flicker and pulse modulation. I myself had some eye strain as well.

I am on my second 2XL and have started to have touch issues on the display. Sometimes i have to touch the display a couple times for the touch to register......

So frustrated with the quality issues on this phone! Between the display and now the touch issues I am going to send this one back and just slip this years model.

I think Google has promised a software update to fix those touch issues.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

You and me both.
That way, I would have bought the 2XL (U11+) before the X came out and stuck with Android!
I'm really enjoying my X don't get me wrong, more than I ever thought I would. But that U11+ looks sublime!
I loved the look of the regular U11, but this seems to improve on an already great phone in many ways!

Reactions: jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

If I remember correctly, doesn’t Google feel OLED is required for VR, specifically their Daydream setup? Having one of their flagships not properly set up for success with their VR platform wouldn’t have been a great promotion for Daydream.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If I remember correctly, doesn’t Google feel OLED is required for VR, specifically their Daydream setup? Having one of their flagships not properly set up for success with their VR platform wouldn’t have been a great promotion for Daydream.
Yeah I believe you’re correct on that point.

I have read that some people said they squeezed their U11 and cracked the glass on it. Yikes!

I just can’t help wondering if Google simply didn’t have enough time to sit down with ONE manufacturer and spec out the hardware the way they would have preferred or that would have been optimal. They did seem a tad sheepish introducing it as another slab. They really pushed their software, which of course is pretty good as we have seen.

I am a bit wary now of how they’re stomping on our privacy. Before you all laugh me off the page for mentioning Google and privacy in the same sentence, let me clarify I mean about them collecting data without our knowledge and consent.

We already consent to give them pretty much everything they could want to know about us so that we can have good functionality on our services. But that means when we do turn off location tracking or don’t expect some other tracking to occur in certain circumstances, our wishes and more importantly our settings should be respected. They shouldn’t be implementing ways to work around the settings that they themselves provide to us.

I’m not going to overreact to any new revelations about privacy infringement and scream that I’m boycotting Google. I know there is no privacy. It’s an illusion at best. But I find it to be yet another disappointment I’ve had with Google this year that they accessed data they really had no right to. It’s enough our carriers have that data and law enforcement can with a warrant. It doesn’t help the creepy image Google has. A lot of iOS users are very privacy minded and so when I recommend Google services to them to help them become more platform independent, I don’t want to end up with egg on my face when these little news scandals break. I won’t freak out but I know a lot of people will.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Been having such a hard time deciding between the Note 8 and 2 XL. The all round better phone (in my opinion) is without a doubt the Note. Can't fault it and was a great proper introduction to Android for me.

But mainly because of the better camera capabilities (especially the front one), I've finally decided on the Pixel and sold my Note which I have to send out soon. I've no doubt I'll be trying a future version of the Note. If I do run into any major problems with the Pixel, I'm eligible to return it until January 22nd. So that gives me peace of mind.

It might have cost me £300 to switch phones but I'm pretty sure the Pixel will hold it's value better. One thing I know for certain, I won't be returning to Apple anytime soon. I don't think I could handle not being able to place apps where I want anymore. lol And if the rumours of all 3 iPhones next year are to be believed by including the notch, even more reason to stay away.

Oh, and also bought the black, orange and grey fabric cases at buy 2 get 1 free. So that's a bonus!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Maybe they aren’t selling that great through Verizon, they tried first with 50% off bill payment WITH trade now they are trying this.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Pixel aka Nexus phones are designed to be easily rooted, and possibly ROM'd if into that.

If for some reason your not into that, then just get a Galaxy Note 8, and don't buy the developer friendly phone.

Reactions: slitherjef

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Pixel aka Nexus phones are designed to be easily rooted, and possibly ROM'd if into that.

If for some reason your not into that, then just get a Galaxy Note 8, and don't buy the developer friendly phone.
I think I fit somewhere in the middle of this statement. I don't need to root my devices but I wouldn't buy a non-stock Android device. Why the Pixel 2 stands out to me is: 3 year OS/monthly security updates, 2 year warranty, photos/video storage and of course stock Android. I've tried Samsung products in the past and I don't like those. I get overwhelmed because I start installing launchers and it's just too many options for me. But stock Android is fine and doesn't overwhelm me at all.

While I do agree with you that the Nexus line was designed for developers, I think the Pixel was meant to be a more mainstream device. That said, I think it's ridiculous that Google wouldn't leave the bootloader unlocked for all variants. But, I don't think the majority of users really care about that.

Until they try to sell it and realize the unlocked bootloader model is more expensive.
This is a good counter-point and something I did consider after I posted. But at the device level, they are exactly the same with exception to the bootloader. I have taken advantage of some good trade-in offers that I no longer sell my devices, so for me this would be less of a concern.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
So, after finally selling my Note and deciding on a Pixel (which I received yesterday and spent ages setting up again), today I notice a big greyed out area on anything on the screen. Shows up particularly bad on websites and email.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171202-105501.png
    Screenshot_20171202-105501.png
    347.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20171202-105226.png
    Screenshot_20171202-105226.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_20171202-105130.png
    Screenshot_20171202-105130.png
    336.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20171202-104934.png
    Screenshot_20171202-104934.png
    331.5 KB · Views: 109

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
So, after finally selling my Note and deciding on a Pixel (which I received yesterday and spent ages setting up again), today I notice a big greyed out area on anything on the screen. Shows up particularly bad on websites and email.
You need to post photos of the phone, not screenshots.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
You need to post photos of the phone, not screenshots.

Yeah, just realised that!
[doublepost=1512214400][/doublepost]Ignore that it’s not in focus but you can see how blatant the problem is.

Attachments

• F347200E-0824-4A88-8718-AC8CB55EEEAB.png
    F347200E-0824-4A88-8718-AC8CB55EEEAB.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 133
  • D108C757-800F-492A-BB19-87B2053DEB97.png
    D108C757-800F-492A-BB19-87B2053DEB97.png
    476.2 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.