Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Just done a factory reset. It's still there. The wavy lines are because screens are hard to capture but you can see the big grey box!

Not sure what to do now, get a replacement or just forget about Pixel this year. I did also notice a few times this morning I had to double press things to work.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Just done a factory reset. It's still there. The wavy lines are because screens are hard to capture but you can see the big grey box!

Not sure what to do now, get a replacement or just forget about Pixel this year. I did also notice a few times this morning I had to double press things to work.

Are you in the return period? If so, consider just sending it back. If not, you have two options.

1) get a replacement from Google if you still want to run a Pixel device
2) get a replacement, don’t open the box, and sell it online

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I was really contemplating this phone as a second phone but the more I read and see the QC of the displays the more I'm convinced to just hang on to my OG Pixel XL.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Are you in the return period? If so, consider just sending it back. If not, you have two options.

1) get a replacement from Google if you still want to run a Pixel device
2) get a replacement, don’t open the box, and sell it online
Yes, I only received it yesterday!

The other pixels I owned had issues but they were things you either lived with or didn't. But this one is clearly defective. Should have kept the one I pre ordered from Google.

I'm going away soon, so have little time to be waiting for replacements. So have to decide if it's worth it.
[doublepost=1512225494][/doublepost]Another thing that was strange, I couldn't backup my settings and apps (just said "waiting for backup") before I did the factory reset. So have to set up from new again.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

The other pixels I owned had issues but they were things you either lived with or didn't. But this one is clearly defective. Should have kept the one I pre ordered from Google.

I'm going away soon, so have little time to be waiting for replacements. So have to decide if it's worth it.
[doublepost=1512225494][/doublepost]Another thing that was strange, I couldn't backup my settings and apps (just said "waiting for backup") before I did the factory reset. So have to set up from new again.

I’d say return it. The screen isn’t going to magically get better. Life’s too short to have something that expensive be like that.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I’d say return it. The screen isn’t going to magically get better. Life’s too short to have something that expensive be like that.

Obviously I’m going to return it, not a chance I’d keep it. I meant I’m unsure if I want it replacing or refunding.

Went for the replacement. And then bought another so I can have 2 to choose from as surely I’m not going to have 3 defective devices. Would rather put the expense on a credit card temporarily, than find I have another defective product and no time for a replacement.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Obviously I’m going to return it, not a chance I’d keep it. I meant I’m unsure if I want it replacing or refunding.

Went for the replacement. And then bought another so I can have 2 to choose from as surely I’m not going to have 3 defective devices. Would rather put the expense on a credit card temporarily, than find I have another defective product and no time for a replacement.

Oh, I had meant refund. But the Pixel 2 is still a good device, so good luck?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

Don't get a replacement, return it for a refund! From my understanding a replacement device doesn't extend your return window. So if the replacement device doesn't work out, you'd likely be out of the return period. You can rebuy a new one, but I cannot recommend a replacement device for this reason.

Reactions: 5105973

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Don't get a replacement, return it! From my understanding a replacement device doesn't extend your return window. So if the replacement device doesn't work out, you'd likely be out of the return period. You can rebuy a new one, but I cannot recommend a replacement device for this reason.

All purchases from November 25th to December 25th are eligible to be returned until January 22nd. It’s on their website under returns and had this confirmed over email before I placed the order for the one I’m returning.

Might even be worth taking a second one on holiday so I have a backup, because I won’t be able to do any exchanges abroad.
[doublepost=1512235031][/doublepost]It is a shame though that there seems to be so many problems with the Pixel.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Definitely return it if you don't like it. My "sell it" suggestion was only if you were out of the return period, because you're likely to get close but unlikely to be made completely whole again.

Reactions: timeconsumer

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
All purchases from November 25th to December 25th are eligible to be returned until January 22nd. It’s on their website under returns and had this confirmed over email before I placed the order for the one I’m returning.

Might even be worth taking a second one on holiday so I have a backup, because I won’t be able to do any exchanges abroad.
[doublepost=1512235031][/doublepost]It is a shame though that there seems to be so many problems with the Pixel.
Oh that's right, you're within the holiday return period. My mistake! I usually forget about that. In that case you're probably fine with either option.

And yes, it is a shame there are so many problems. Fortunately for me the Pixel 2 has been really good so far. Seems to just be the 2 XL.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Switched it back on so I could put some apps on as I'll need to use it for a couple of days and the grey box isn't there anymore. It's still going back, especially as the screen was flashing earlier.

Also, the fingerprint sensor has trouble recognising my right index finger. Think this one definitely slipped through QC. lol

Reactions: 5105973

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Went to Best Buy today to window shop. I know a salesman there, he let's me play with the phones with the security tether off.

- Pixel 2 XL = Wow, as in wow not impressed. I'm a huge Nexus fan, and the Pixel 2 XL seemed sort of meh, zero wow factor, zero coolness. Design seemed dated like something from last year or two years ago. The Frankenstein forehead bezel looks weird, and overall the phone seems awfully large for just 6" display. Screen looked nice, not great not bad. But not Note 8 quality at all. I have the LG V30 now, and the V30 style wise looks so much nicer, but I prefer stock Android #1, was thinking maybe get the Pixel 2 XL, but after a short play time with it, just did not grab me or excite me. This is off my list for now.

- iPhone X = Wow, as in super cool very impressive. As you know I am no iPhone fan, but damn did Apple get the design of the X just right. Stunning phone, and super compact. You put the iPhone X next to the Pixel 2 XL, and the X looks like it's from2018 the future, and the 2 XL looks like it's from 2016. And why is the Pixel 2 XL so HUGE next to the iPhone X ? The screen sizes are so close 5.8" and 6.0", for only a minor 0.2" difference, the 2 XL you would think should be like 6.5" display, it's way too large of a phone for a 6" screen, where the X is so much more compact and easiest to hold, with a screen just a very little bit smaller. I really liked the iPhone X a lot though, just a fantastic phone. Screen is super bright, and looks wonderful. The wight and feel in hand, overall package is damn near the best phone I've ever held. Thing is, I'm not a iOS fan, it works like something from 2009, just such a crap OS. The X needs a JB bad to make it even tolerable I'd imagine.

There is no perfect phone, to me the perfect phone would be the iPhone X running stock Android 8.1

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Does anyone know how long it takes to get your refund from a return? Do you get an email or am I going to have to log on and hunt through the credit card statements which my husband doesn’t really want me doing (and he doesn’t want to look either) because of our Christmas shopping.

When he got his refund it was less than a week and he got an email. I’m going on close to four weeks now.
[doublepost=1512249143][/doublepost]
Went to Best Buy today to window shop. I know a salesman there, he let's me play with the phones with the security tether off.

- Pixel 2 XL = Wow, as in wow not impressed. I'm a huge Nexus fan, and the Pixel 2 XL seemed sort of meh, zero wow factor, zero coolness. Design seemed dated like something from last year or two years ago. The Frankenstein forehead bezel looks weird, and overall the phone seems awfully large for just 6" display. Screen looked nice, not great not bad. But not Note 8 quality at all. I have the LG V30 now, and the V30 style wise looks so much nicer, but I prefer stock Android #1, was thinking maybe get the Pixel 2 XL, but after a short play time with it, just did not grab me or excite me. This is off my list for now.

- iPhone X = Wow, as in super cool very impressive. As you know I am no iPhone fan, but damn did Apple get the design of the X just right. Stunning phone, and super compact. You put the iPhone X next to the Pixel 2 XL, and the X looks like it's from2018 the future, and the 2 XL looks like it's from 2016. And why is the Pixel 2 XL so HUGE next to the iPhone X ? The screen sizes are so close 5.8" and 6.0", for only a minor 0.2" difference, the 2 XL you would think should be like 6.5" display, it's way too large of a phone for a 6" screen, where the X is so much more compact and easiest to hold, with a screen just a very little bit smaller. I really liked the iPhone X a lot though, just a fantastic phone. Screen is super bright, and looks wonderful. The wight and feel in hand, overall package is damn near the best phone I've ever held. Thing is, I'm not a iOS fan, it works like something from 2009, just such a crap OS. The X needs a JB bad to make it even tolerable I'd imagine.

There is no perfect phone, to me the perfect phone would be the iPhone X running stock Android 8.1
The physical design of the 2 XL does not compare well to that of the X, though the Panda variant has a lot of charm. I agree it would be so cool if we could run Oreo on an iPhone X. But I do like iOS 11 on the X. It runs well on the X.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Makes me wish the GPE program was still around. I love stock Android 8.1, I think it's the best smartphone OS to date. 8.1 makes Nougat even feel a little dated already, the nice little minor tweaks and small additional features just make 8.1 so much sweeter, and cool touches.

I would love the option of buying a flagship Android phone, but have it the GPE version, meaning run stock Android. I think the LG V30 would be the best, or the HTC U11+

Reactions: slitherjef

fjd726

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
I returned the X, that notch was just a stupid idea. I'm pretty sure it's here to stay too, so not going to buy that design flaw in the future for me.

Reactions: AppleRobert

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Definitely looks like a hardware defect. Send that puppy back!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
This is my final post, just to say I ordered the Pixel 2 XL, sadly I have a 3 month wait before it is estimated to be delivered. Oh well.

Thanks for the years of discussion & banter, sometimes infuriation, oftentimes laughter, but it is finally time to mosey on and re-invest in life. Take care of yourselves.

Slán Abhaile to all. MRU

I don’t have anywhere near the gravitas MRU had amongst these forums but going to take a cue from him and call it a retirement from forum life. Enjoyed the lively discussions over the years. Best of luck to all. Take care.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Been all through Google help sections etc and can't find how to backup app data and device settings. Even tried turning Google drive backup on & off and still nothing. All I get it "waiting to backup". Can't see any options to force it or do it manually. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171203-101213.png
    Screenshot_20171203-101213.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 97

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don’t have anywhere near the gravitas MRU had amongst these forums but going to take a cue from him and call it a retirement from forum life. Enjoyed the lively discussions over the years. Best of luck to all. Take care.
Ah, but I’ll miss you, too! :( I hope all is well with you and that you have a happy healthy holiday season and a wonderful New Year.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Completely understandable, I have enjoyed reading your posts here, thanks for your contribution to these forums, I wish you well! I am honestly getting close to this point as well. Being apart of a forum such as this kind of makes it difficult for me to enjoy what I've got as I'm constantly second guessing my decisions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.