Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Got all my fabric cases today (cement, carbon & coral). Haven’t seen the cement in person before and just like the others, love how it looks on the black 2 XL.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Is that a current deal Google has right now ? A free Home mini, and money towards cases or whatever ?

Yep!

upload_2017-12-5_13-10-15.png

https://store.google.com/

Reactions: Tig Bitties

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Can I trade in my Nexus 6P for a credit towards the Pixel 2 XL ? Lol doubtful

yes, but it's not much but depends on storage and condition. click on the Google Store link and click buy Pixel 2, and then scroll down and click the trade in banner. Probably better off selling on Swappa

upload_2017-12-5_13-20-8.png

upload_2017-12-5_13-18-52.png

upload_2017-12-5_13-19-18.png

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
yes, but it's not much but depends on storage and condition. click on the Google Store link and click buy Pixel 2, and then scroll down and click the trade in banner. Probably better off selling on Swappa

View attachment 740405

View attachment 740403

View attachment 740404

LOL $70 tops. Ha

I'll just keep it as a Home WiFi phone

And the iPhone 6S Plus, launched around same time as the Nexus 6P is selling for like $300 on Swaapa, and can still be bought brand new from Apple for like $500.

One thing that sucks on Android phones, they drop like the Titanic a year later, and two years later they work nothing. Whereas iPhone's hold true value well

Last edited:

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
LOL $70 tops. Ha

I'll just keep it as a Home WiFi phone

And the iPhone 6S Plus, launched around same time as the Nexus 6P is selling for like $300 on Swaapa, and can still be bought brand new from Apple for like $500.

One thing that sucks on Android phones, they drop like the Titanic a year later, and two years later they work nothing. Whereas iPhone's hold true value well
Google was offering $130 for 32GB initially then they changed it a few weeks ago.

Wasn't the 6s plus 750 while the 6p 499 when released? So if the 6s plus currently selling on swappa for 300 then the 6p at $50 would be pretty much the same money lost.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I assume most everyone here is on the Google bought Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL, and not the gimped Verizon version ? And are on ' Off Contract ' plans ?

What carrier and plan are you using with it ? The best deal seems to be the ATTGo Phone SIM ? Isn't that like $55 / month for unlimited, if subscribed to monthly auto payment ? T-Mobile I think is $70 for similar off contract plan.

Thx

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I assume everyone here is on the Google bought Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL, and not the gimped Verizon version ? I am think you are on ' Off Contract ' plans ?

What carrier and plan are you using with it ? The best deal seems to be the ATTGo Phone SIM ? Isn't that like $55 / month for unlimited, if subscribed to monthly auto payment ? T-Mobile I think is $70 for similar off contract plan.

Thx

I'm using T-Mobile One Plus Unlimited for $70 (free Plus add on which is normally $10 and have auto-pay turned on) on the Google store bought Panda XL

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I assume most everyone here is on the Google bought Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL, and not the gimped Verizon version ? And are on ' Off Contract ' plans ?

Thx

Running wifi only right now. I am however thinking about ordering Google fi for it to give that a spin. Also have the option of pulling the at&t sim from my Nexus 6 and using that, but at&t is pretty useless inside of buildings at least data wise and I get a bunch of robo calls and spam which at&t promptly told me to just download an app to address the issue :mad:

I'm thinking about dumping at&t or at least get a data only plan and a tablet *cough* iPad o_O

My sis has a fi sim on order for her device and I'm really curious how it works. Maybe good enough to dump Sprint and at&t

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Wow, definitely could be louder. First tried with some cheap Bluetooth headphones and didn't have a whole lot of volume. Next was a wired pair of earbuds (also quite cheap but can be loud) with the USB c adapter (looks a bit off with my right angle connector) and still quiet meager in loudness.

I know normally on Nexus devices I usually end up going in and changing the mixer paths values. I'm not sure if that's possible with the pixel due to USB c sound, nor if I want to do this since it modifies the /system which I may have already done :eek:

I'm going to have to do some flashing and work around to get the 8.1 on my device a bit later.

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
Good luck if you try to take advantage of the Google trade in offer. They’ve had my Pixel XL for almost a month and have yet to evaluate it for my refund credit.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Good luck if you try to take advantage of the Google trade in offer. They’ve had my Pixel XL for almost a month and have yet to evaluate it for my refund credit.

Same issue here. You'd think they'd give a free mini or something for the inconvenience. They sent an apology email, but that's it.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Found a great deal locally and managed to snag a Pixel 2 XL 128GB for $700, brand new in box. Blue tint is there, but otherwise everything looks good. I'm keeping it Boosted mode, as Saturated just looks blown out to me. Setting it up now and will give it a few days go, but I'm swayed to return my iPhone X already.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Got to try out both the Pixel 2 and 2 XL last night at Best Buy and I was pretty impressed. They had the Kinda Blue Pixel out on display which I really liked, shame it's only got 64 GB of storage. The XL was nice too but I'm not that crazy on bigger phones and I actually don't care for the bezel-less look, plus the QC issues put me off a bit. So far I think the Pixel 2 is a big contender for when I'm due for an upgrade early next year.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Maybe this should be filed under “Duh”, but with the P2XL burn-in scare, I was wondering what I could do to potentially stave off that and then it hit me. Substratum Theming! I found a Substratum Theme that reduces the brigtness and the opacity of the navigation buttons. I think this should work nicely. And, of course, it themed out the rest of the OS in a darker set up.

Attachments

• EAE42905-9805-4376-BBAF-1E79CFB36A92.png
    EAE42905-9805-4376-BBAF-1E79CFB36A92.png
    200.3 KB · Views: 102

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC

Since I was complaining about this just a few days ago, I thought I should update to note that I heard from Google today and they are giving me the full $400 for the Pixel XL I sent them when I bought the Pixel 2 XL.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Since I was complaining about this just a few days ago, I thought I should update to note that I heard from Google today and they are giving me the full $400 for the Pixel XL I sent them when I bought the Pixel 2 XL.

Ditto, I just received my notice yesterday.

VO2Max

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
I don't post much but have been lurking in this thread for a while now. I'm on the fence about possibly switching to the smaller pixel 2 from iPhone 6s. I'm OK with a smaller phone as long as it has all the features I want, which honestly aren't a lot. I've been on the iPhone since the 5 came out. I had a bad experience with that phone (camera and battery issues) but decided to give the 6s a go when it came out 3 years ago. The 6s has been great so far. I'm on ios 11.2 and no issues. My plan was to go another year on the 6s but there are some pretty good deals on the Pixel 2 now with the Google trade in offer and the Verizon promotion. I am a long time Verizon customer and don't anticipate switching carriers.

My requirements:

- A good camera is at the top of the list since I have young kids and the phone is my primary camera 95% of the time. I like the fact that Google will allow free full resolution photos to be backed up for free. I currently utilize Google Photos on my iPhone but use the high quality (free unlimited) option. I am not invested in iCloud and probably never will be unless they offer similar options as Google currently does. I know the Pixel 2 has one of the best cameras out there. Is the camera on the 2 and 2XL the same or is the 2XL better?

- I want a phone that will last me a good 2 years at the very least without craping out on me. 3 would be more ideal as I don't need to upgrade every year. Basically when the device is paid off I will consider upgrading. Anybody have the original Pixel that is still going strong a year later?

My concerns:

- iMessage. Honestly I'm not sure I would miss this or not since I've always has an iPhone and a majority of my friends and family have iPhones. What are some considerations here? Same for Facetime. I don't utilize Facetime all that much, maybe when the wife is out of town 1-2 times a year.

- Regular and quick updates. Apple is pretty good about pushing out security updates quickly. I always here about issues with android devices slow to get updates. I don't necessarily need the latest OS but security updates are a must.

- Wife and I utilize the Apple calendar to coordinate our busy lives. I would rather not ask her to download a new calendar app. Is there something that I would be able to use to sync with the Apple calendar to work just as seamlessly?

- How well does Pixel 2 play with a MacBook? I do utilize Photos app on Mac to store photos and free up space on my phone. How would this work? I may consider a Chromebook down the road if I do purchase a Pixel 2 and things work out. I assume this would make the photo thing a non-issue, correct?

What are the advantages/disadvantages from buying an unlocked phone thru Google vs. buying from Verizon? I think financially Verizon is the better deal at the moment.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
- iMessage. Honestly I'm not sure I would miss this or not since I've always has an iPhone and a majority of my friends and family have iPhones. What are some considerations here? Same for Facetime. I don't utilize Facetime all that much, maybe when the wife is out of town 1-2 times a year.

it was hard for me to give up iMessage but I did. I'm a green bubble to the 99% of the people I message with the most. Most of the time it's not an issue, until someone sends a video and it gets reduced down to MMS sized quality (i.e. postage stamp with major blur). But when that happens, I just request that video be shared via Whatsapp and that works well. I do miss iMessage but not enough to go back to iPhone. I get by with SMS/MMS pretty well.

for facetime, I had my immediately family get the Google Duo app but Whatsapp video calling works great too. But I also have an iPad if FaceTime is the only option. But I don't video chat very often.

If you do switch (I hope you do, the Pixel is amazing!), make sure to de-register your phone number from iMessage first. Turn off iMessage on your iPhone and signout on all your macs, ipads, etc. (you can sign back in on those devices later and only use your email address, but you want to make sure your number gets removed). and then also go to this site to de-register. If you don't properly de-register your number from iMessage, it'll get stuck in iMessage "pergatory" and you won't receive messages from your contacts with iPhones. But if you follow those steps, you should be in the clear.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
it was hard for me to give up iMessage but I did. I'm a green bubble to the 99% of the people I message with the most. Most of the time it's not an issue, until someone sends a video and it gets reduced down to MMS sized quality (i.e. postage stamp with major blur). But when that happens, I just request that video be shared via Whatsapp and that works well. I do miss iMessage but not enough to go back to iPhone. I get by with SMS/MMS pretty well.

for facetime, I had my immediately family get the Google Duo app but Whatsapp video calling works great too. But I also have an iPad if FaceTime is the only option. But I don't video chat very often.

If you do switch (I hope you do, the Pixel is amazing!), make sure to de-register your phone number from iMessage first. Turn off iMessage on your iPhone and signout on all your macs, ipads, etc. (you can sign back in on those devices later and only use your email address, but you want to make sure your number gets removed). and then also go to this site to de-register. If you don't properly de-register your number from iMessage, it'll get stuck in iMessage "pergatory" and you won't receive messages from your contacts with iPhones. But if you follow those steps, you should be in the clear.

I really wish Apple would adopt Google Photos' ability to send a link to a video.

On another note, got my Panda in yesterday. The feel of the black is better due to the brushed metal but damn this is a hot look for a phone.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I really wish Apple would adopt Google Photos' ability to send a link to a video.

On another note, got my Panda in yesterday. The feel of the black is better due to the brushed metal but damn this is a hot look for a phone.

yes! I love Google photos sharing ability. and google photos in general is much better than Apple's photos IMO

I prefer the feel of the panda more than the black but it does feel different.

Glad you got the panda. So now, are you keeping the panda or sending it back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.