Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
yes! I love Google photos sharing ability. and google photos in general is much better than Apple's photos IMO

I prefer the feel of the panda more than the black but it does feel different.

Glad you got the panda. So now, are you keeping the panda or sending it back?

Keeping! I'm down to just the panda and the X. I normally have an iPhone and Android. So I'm all set till spring.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So I found the finger print gestures on my pixel and enabled that so I could pull down my notification shade, which seems like a neat trick (would be nice to use for scrolling also) and told my sis about it

I can't find it on her device? She doesn't have 8.1 just the ota with the saturated color mode. Was it disabled in that ota? I don't have the software version in front of me.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
So I found the finger print gestures on my pixel and enabled that so I could pull down my notification shade, which seems like a neat trick (would be nice to use for scrolling also) and told my sis about it

I can't find it on her device? She doesn't have 8.1 just the ota with the saturated color mode. Was it disabled in that ota? I don't have the software version in front of me.

it's under settings -> system -> gestures -> "swipe fingerprint for notifications". I'm not sure what software level introduced it, I've been on the 8.1 betas before moving to the final 8.1 OTA. But I thought it came about before 8.1.

Reactions: slitherjef

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
it's under settings -> system -> gestures -> "swipe fingerprint for notifications". I'm not sure what software level introduced it, I've been on the 8.1 betas before moving to the final 8.1 OTA. But I thought it came about before 8.1.

Thanks
Not sure why I couldn't find it again lol. I usually don't tinker much with the settings.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
A rare site in South Texas, snow!!! It was fairly dark out, but I continue to be impressed with the camera.

Attachments

• IMG_20171207_180110-3024x2268.jpg
    IMG_20171207_180110-3024x2268.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 186

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Anyone know if the google pop up store in NYC sells devices? I'm going to be in NY all next week.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Anyone know if the google pop up store in NYC sells devices? I'm going to be in NY all next week.
They do, but I believe device sales are handled by a 3rd party authorized Verizon dealer. As a result the devices themselves will be the Verizon version, not the Google Store version.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
They do, but I believe device sales are handled by a 3rd party authorized Verizon dealer. As a result the devices themselves will be the Verizon version, not the Google Store version.

Alright, forget that. lol

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Seems like 8.1 brought out many fixes. Not all is resolved but most of the earlier issues. Good job, Google.

Bring on Albacore, Blueline, and Crosshatch. And Wahoo while you're at it. The 2018 Pixels could be amazing. I wish Google adopts the dual lens or even triple lens setup.

I don't care for B&W or bokeh photos. I want wide-angle from LG with at least 5X optical zoom with Telephoto. If they need to pack a 40 MP, so be it. I was wrong a few weeks ago. I believe Samsung was the worst Nexus OEM.

Best Nexus/Pixel OEM for Google

1. HTC
Nexus One, Nexus 9, Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2

2. LG
Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 5X, Pixel 2 XL

3. Huawei
Nexus 6P (first Nexus to be perfected)

4. Motorola
Nexus 6

5. ASUS
Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013)

6. Samsung
Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 10

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I'm sure we'll see dual lens pixii(?:confused:)seeing as Google mocked others for a dual lens set up just like they mocked others about the headphone jack then promptly removed that as well...

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

Have you actually visited the store? I'm wanting an official usb type A to C cable and can't get one in time from Google in the UK. I'll be in New York on Thursday, so hoped to pick one up.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I'm sure we'll see dual lens pixii(?:confused:)seeing as Google mocked others for a dual lens set up just like they mocked others about the headphone jack then promptly removed that as well...
I think we will see dual lens but like what LG does...a wide angle camera. I don't believe they would waste all that time time developing portrait mode for a single lens just to use it for 1 year. So technically they could still mock apple.

But its google...they have done some crazy things so who knows lol.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
My sis got her project fi sim card in today. I've never set fi up, I'm sure it's easy. Curious to see how it works.

Edit:

Ran into a slight issue. She was porting over her number from Sprint instead of trying a new line to test things out first.

Problem with this, her device is leased and although the lease is over she still needs to either hand the device back (not going to and thus) or pay the small fee to keep it.

Since she has yet to do so, I suspect Sprint wants the cash first and would lock the account until they have it.

Or not, but I really don't trust them... Long story but returned a couple note 4s to them about 3 years ago and they charged us full price for both of them :mad::eek::(

Any other fi users here?

Last edited:

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Is it possible that there's a difference in performance between the black and the black & white Pixel 2 XL?

Had trouble with the fingerprint sensor not working with a couple of apps, then I noticed "ok Google" wasn't working and needed to set it up again. So I decided to set up the one I bought in case I had trouble. 8.1 was waiting straight away without even inserting a sim and putting pics on it took almost half the time compared to the black models I've had.

There shouldn't be any difference in performance but the it was night and day different to the time taken to load it with media.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Is it possible that there's a difference in performance between the black and the black & white Pixel 2 XL?

Had trouble with the fingerprint sensor not working with a couple of apps, then I noticed "ok Google" wasn't working and needed to set it up again. So I decided to set up the one I bought in case I had trouble. 8.1 was waiting straight away without even inserting a sim and putting pics on it took almost half the time compared to the black models I've had.

There shouldn't be any difference in performance but the it was night and day different to the time taken to load it with media.
That would be weird.

I saw the all white little Pixel 2 was back in stock in all sizes. It’s almost tempting because I miss the great selfies from the Pixels. But I still haven’t gotten a refund on the return from my black one yet. :eek: I’ve not had time to deal with a customer service call, yet. I’m dreading it.

I was on the road today in the snow with my family and got some great IPhone X pictures I didn’t think would turn out because of the speed we were going. However selfies taken inside the car were just awful. I didn’t have my Samsung with me. I’d grabbed the wrong purse. That phone doesn’t do great selfies either, anyway. Sigh...missing the Pixel 2’s fabulous selfie camera. I wasn’t trying to take pics of myself exactly but was trying to get an interior shot of all of us on the ride.

Reactions: michael9891

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I don't know if maybe the better transfer speeds is because the black & white is from a newer batch. The black & white only came back into stock on Monday and is out of stock again in the UK.

Now the Pixels have £50 off in the Google store which is disappointing.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Google customer service at least seems good. It was convenient to be able to do it in chat and then they sent me an email until my problem is resolved. Apparently my return never made it into the postal system and definitely never made it back to Google. It’s now an issue with a building mail room and the post office and our credit card insurance. Sigh. FWIW the refund was prompt when my husband returned his.

If I ever see my money again I will feel confident trying Pixel again sometime. Or Pixel 3. That’s what I’m most looking forward to now.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Has anyone gotten the 8.1 ota prompt yet?
Still waiting on both devices. My device never seen the previous ota either :confused:

Could be because I'm rooted?

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Has anyone gotten the 8.1 ota prompt yet?
Still waiting on both devices. My device never seen the previous ota either :confused:

Could be because I'm rooted?

In the UK, I opened one and got the update straight away without even having a SIM inserted. But another I'm still waiting. Tried different SIM cards with no luck.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.