Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Completely understandable, I have enjoyed reading your posts here, thanks for your contribution to these forums, I wish you well! I am honestly getting close to this point as well. Being apart of a forum such as this kind of makes it difficult for me to enjoy what I've got as I'm constantly second guessing my decisions.

Same, minus the second guessing. When I first started posting here, it seemed more about people sharing their enthusiasm for different phones. Now it’s just Samsung folks spamming every thread obsessing over how awful the iPhone is.

Probably time to bow out. I enjoy my phones. Too many folks post here for validation.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm somewhat interested in switching to a Pixel 2 next year, what are some thoughts from people who switched from a 6S?
I had a Pixel 2 for a while and a Pixel 2 XL for a while. I went from the 7 Plus, but I remember what made the 7 better than the 6S. Here are a few short things

Pixel 2/XL over 6S
  • Camera on Pixel 2 is 100x better. The both Pixel 2 models' camera is incredible
  • Battery life is likely much better on Pixel 2 (XL even better)
  • Notifications are better on Pixel 2/XL
  • The screen is different. Off axis viewing is super blue on XL, gets dimmer on Pixel 2.
6S/7/8 over Pixel 2/XL
  • The screen on the iPhone is a known commodity. The LCD displays are very, very good.
  • The ambient light sensor/backlight on iPhone is incredible. The screen gracefully moves between backlight settings based on room lighting (I never appreciated how good iPhone is at this until I moved to various Android devices)

Reactions: timeconsumer

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Finally got a case in for my device, a Spigen liquid crystal slim and soft.

Slapped it on my XL and not sure what I think of it. It's definitely bulked up the device however. I figured the case would be slimmer then it is. It does make me feel a little better about setting my device down on a table.

Not a huge issue, it was a fairly cheap case. I may try others

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Finally got a case in for my device, a Spigen liquid crystal slim and soft.

Slapped it on my XL and not sure what I think of it. It's definitely bulked up the device however. I figured the case would be slimmer then it is. It does make me feel a little better about setting my device down on a table.

Not a huge issue, it was a fairly cheap case. I may try others
Yeah, I have the thinnest Otterbox I could find for iPhone X. I don't love it, but I really don't want to pay the large sum to get it fixed.

Reactions: slitherjef

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Underrated feature on Pixels -

24/7 chat support. Just go under the Settings and search for it. I chatted with them twice on questions I had since my 2x tap to wake didn't always work on 7.1.1. It was mostly resolved with 7.1.2. Keep raise to wake turned on as well.

Usually you would be chatting with someone from India or the Philippines. Such an unheralded feature for Pixels but an extremely practical one on-the-fly and not everyone lives near retail stores.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-google-pixels-built-in-support-tool/

theres-built-in-customer-service.jpg

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Very good deal if your on Verizon;

https://www.droid-life.com/2017/12/...ixel-2-xl-deal-live-50-off-google-home-bonus/

Is a Pixel still a Pixel if it can't be rooted and is locked down on Verizon ? Serious question. Why get a locked down Pixel phone ? I thought these were "developer" phones, designed to be rooted and even ROM'd ? How would a Pixel 2 L be if never rooted, and just ran stock ? Would it last the two years and still be smooth and lag free ?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth

https://www.droid-life.com/2017/12/...ixel-2-xl-deal-live-50-off-google-home-bonus/

Is a Pixel still a Pixel if it can't be rooted and is locked down on Verizon ? Serious question. Why get a locked down Pixel phone ? I thought these were "developer" phones, designed to be rooted and even ROM'd ? How would a Pixel 2 L be if never rooted, and just ran stock ? Would it last the two years and still be smooth and lag free ?

I don't think a pixel is a pixel if it can't be rooted at least in my mind's eye. To me this would probably be closer to being called Google's iPhone :eek: you know, clean stock(ish) Android that's secure with fast updates, less fragmentation and fully controlled by Google. I do have a wondering if eventually root will be going away as well as unlockable bootloader's. I mean it's getting trickier to achieve root with each iteration of Android and most manufacturers are headed this way already.

If this is the case, I may just pick up an iPhone if that is what Google is aiming for o_O

I may have went on a bit of a tangent with this post o_O

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

It's an interesting question, but the Pixels are not developer phones. They're not Nexus phones.

If an Android phone can run two years lag-free, the Pixel had better be that phone.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
It looks like 8.1 is supposed to come out today. Anyone receive it yet? I'm on 8.1 DP2 but hoping to get upgraded to the final version once OTA's start rolling (or posted on Google's website). Maybe OTA's will be behind the image rollout by a few days.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
This is how insane I am with this stuff: I've been rocking the black and it's the same damn phone yet Panda haunts my dreams.

;)

I just like that it's different than all the black monoliths out there. I use mine without a case the majority of the time and I still love the look.

but I don't want to sway you. I'm not responsible for any impulse purchase you make make in the near future :p

Reactions: Tig Bitties

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
;)

I just like that it's different than all the black monoliths out there. I use mine without a case the majority of the time and I still love the look.

but I don't want to sway you. I'm not responsible for any impulse purchase you make make in the near future :p

As my wife has learned, I am unswayable. I shall always err on the side of BUYING.

This would be my last smartphone purchase till the spring and the new wave of Android flagships. Probably. Definitely. No, really.

Maybe?

Reactions: co.ag.2005

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
iJustine seems to enjoy her Pixel 2 XL. She probably gets it for free from Google since that's the company that pays her. YouTubers get Google money. She rarely talks about it but she does use Android as a secondary being the most popular YouTuber Apple fangirl. She showed off her Nexus One and Samsungs to her viewers before.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
iJustine seems to enjoy her Pixel 2 XL. She probably gets it for free from Google since that's the company that pays her. YouTubers get Google money. She rarely talks about it but she does use Android as a secondary being the most popular YouTuber Apple fangirl. She showed off her Nexus One and Samsungs to her viewers before.

She's a cutie, but sometimes she's a little WAY too into Apple stuff, borderline freakish in love with all iPhone stuff. Like man it's just a phone.
[doublepost=1512497996][/doublepost]
That didn't take long ;) But hey, but you get a free Google home mini and $100 to the Google Store. Not too shabby.

Is that a current deal Google has right now ? A free Home mini, and money towards cases or whatever ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.