Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
https://twitter.com/joshuatopolsky/status/939979163888504832

I think I have to agree. yes, I know you have to play the screen lottery, but if you get a good one (like mine), I thoroughly think it's one of the best phones I've had.
Eh, I thought I won the screen lottery on the X but the pink stain that haunted me on my S8+ seems to be spreading on my X and the crispness looks to be “disintegrating” for lack of a better word. I’m having my husband take a look but I’m going to be returning my X, too, and go back to my 7 Plus awhile.

We are just beginning the process of finding out what happened to my Pixel 2 return. Google is not at fault for that. It’s a missing package issue and the package went missing at the point where it was left at a mail room.

So basically there’s always some kind of QC lottery going on. Apple has a small advantage in having stores where you can make returns and purchases. But Google customer service is better than I expected and better than what I experienced with Samsung.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Eh, I thought I won the screen lottery on the X but the pink stain that haunted me on my S8+ seems to be spreading on my X and the crispness looks to be “disintegrating” for lack of a better word. I’m having my husband take a look but I’m going to be returning my X, too, and go back to my 7 Plus awhile.

We are just beginning the process of finding out what happened to my Pixel 2 return. Google is not at fault for that. It’s a missing package issue and the package went missing at the point where it was left at a mail room.

So basically there’s always some kind of QC lottery going on. Apple has a small advantage in having stores where you can make returns and purchases. But Google customer service is better than I expected and better than what I experienced with Samsung.

ugh, sorry to hear about all of that! My X screen was flawless, but I only had it for 14 days before I returned it (not for any issues, just out of preference).

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
ugh, sorry to hear about all of that! My X screen was flawless, but I only had it for 14 days before I returned it (not for any issues, just out of preference).
Yeah im kind of bummed out. I had considered my display flawless too. The pink edging was present from the beginning but very narrow, confined to the utmost edges and very faint, so I dismissed it completely. Starting yesterday, I noticed it intruding on my field of view more. Now the display looks less even. I’m not sure what’s going on, but after what I went through with the S8+ I have decided “not again”. This time I don’t have Samsung issuing a software fix. We just aren’t granted that level of control over our displays on iOS. I know from seeing many flawless S8 displays that I don’t have to have this at all, so I won’t. I intend to get another X but after the supplies are no longer constrained at all, in case the replacement needs replacing. :rolleyes:

Reactions: co.ag.2005

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Found my project fi sim card that I had ordered over a year ago and never stuck in my 6p as planned. To my surprise, when I checked the fi website to order a new card it said the one I had was still active. No charges, no data used nothing. Just ready to go! So, may shove the sim into the pixel in a bit and give it a whirl. 1gb seems like it may be a bit low however.

My sis got things taken care of with sprint to get her number ported over so hopefully that will not break my main device when she ports her number over.

Both of us are still waiting for the 8.1 OTA prompt...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Found my project fi sim card that I had ordered over a year ago and never stuck in my 6p as planned. To my surprise, when I checked the fi website to order a new card it said the one I had was still active. No charges, no data used nothing. Just ready to go! So, may shove the sim into the pixel in a bit and give it a whirl. 1gb seems like it may be a bit low however.

My sis got things taken care of with sprint to get her number ported over so hopefully that will not break my main device when she ports her number over.

Both of us are still waiting for the 8.1 OTA prompt...
Oh wow. Let us know what you think of the coverage and service when you log some time with it. :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Has anyone gotten the 8.1 ota prompt yet?
Still waiting on both devices. My device never seen the previous ota either :confused:

Could be because I'm rooted?

I have not gotten it so far, I check a few times each day and reboot my Pixel XL 2 but I do not think that is really necessary.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
AR stickers now out and working on the new Pixels. They work pretty well. My kids are gonna love it!

Attachments

• IMG_20171211_112822.jpg
    IMG_20171211_112822.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 86

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Oh wow. Let us know what you think of the coverage and service when you log some time with it. :)

She is on the phone with google or sprint right now... Evidently the number did not port over or something in the system is dragging (usually it takes a couple minutes) but texts are still going to her old phone.

Also noted on reboots with the pixel it reads "no sim card" briefly before reading fi in the status bar.

Edit:

Google says 1-2 days to port a number. Status reads in progress...

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
She is on the phone with google or sprint right now... Evidently the number did not port over or something in the system is dragging (usually it takes a couple minutes) but texts are still going to her old phone.

Also noted on reboots with the pixel it reads "no sim card" briefly before reading fi in the status bar.

Edit:

Google says 1-2 days to port a number. Status reads in progress...
Yikes. That’s an inconvenient amount of time.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Yikes. That’s an inconvenient amount of time.

Yeah, but looks like its resolved and the number ported. She can send and receive texts at least on wifi at the moment, we haven't been out of the house yet. Turns out she put the wrong pin number in for sprint so that kind of borked things. So, she is officially on fi, though I wish she would have set up a new line for the phone FIRST to try it out instead of just straight porting her number over :eek:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah, but looks like its resolved and the number ported. She can send and receive texts at least on wifi at the moment, we haven't been out of the house yet. Turns out she put the wrong pin number in for sprint so that kind of borked things. So, she is officially on fi, though I wish she would have set up a new line for the phone FIRST to try it out instead of just straight porting her number over :eek:
Ah, sisters! You should see the work my husband’s sister puts him through on tech support. There’s a long convoluted story behind why she can’t get the iPhone 6S Plus I passed to her working fully. She’s a mess.:p

Reactions: slitherjef

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I'd say give it a go. Google has a good return policy if you decide it's not for you. I've loved my time with the 2 XL so far

Yeah I am really thinking about it. I also want to do some coverage on my Youtube channel on it even though its pretty late in its lifecycle. I would just go to Best buy and grab a Verizon version to use with AT&T.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Yeah I am really thinking about it. I also want to do some coverage on my Youtube channel on it even though its pretty late in its lifecycle. I would just go to Best buy and grab a Verizon version to use with AT&T.

Err ummm...
IMHO

If you are going to buy a verizon version from best buy to use on AT&T, do yourself a favor and just order an unlocked model from google, at least then you'd own the device.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Err ummm...
IMHO

If you are going to buy a verizon version from best buy to use on AT&T, do yourself a favor and just order an unlocked model from google, at least then you'd own the device.

Well if I get it from BB it will be an unactivated device so technically it would be mine, and a little of it is that im impatient and want it today lol.
[doublepost=1513024606][/doublepost]
Err ummm...
IMHO

But I might do the Google Store because I have to deal with not getting updates and things like that so I prob will order from Google.

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
Ughh, just noticed that my Pixel 2 XL screen is retaining several images from Waze (which is my most frequently used app). I’ll try not using Waze on my Pixel for a few days to see if the images go away, but this is not good.
9a7184ec986f6520c6ad35e169cb247d.jpg

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Starting to wish I didn't open the black & white Pixel when I had a bit of trouble with mine. Now can't decide which colour I prefer.

Quick question. Google are very quick to replace faulty devices by sending you a link to order it without paying. Does anyone know if that depends if they're in stock? Or do they keep plenty for such circumstances? Because the black and white is never in stock for very long.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

I would not recommend the Verizon Pixel, as it's not a true Google phone. They lock it down and your beholden to Verizon then.

A Google Phone is only a true unlocked phone if bought directly from the Play Store.

Plus on principal I couldn't give the Nazi carrier one penny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.