Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ah I see. I'm a Trekkie but I'll watch Star Wars eventually. I remember the Tribbles quite well! I haven't been following this thread too closely but why'd you get rid of your Pixel 2? Does your husband still have his 2 XL? I thought I remember him having one.
Lol, I have a tribble that’s about 26 years old now. I got it when there was a huge 25th anniversary Star Trek exhibit at the Air and Space Museum in DC. I’m disappointed that there wasn’t quite the same celebration there of the 50th. They had some things but I ended up only seeing the model of the Enterprise. It was behind glass this time. If I remember correctly, 26 years ago it was suspended over the visitors’ heads.

Lol, to get back on the topic of Pixels, how are you all finding the video capabilities? The one I returned was really defective so I was not able to truly see what the Pixels could do, video-wise.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It's not safe anywhere these days.
Don’t worry, they’re stormtroopers. They’ll hit your doorways, your walls, your tv, your dresser but their energy bolts won’t ever touch you. Unless you’re wearing a red shirt, then everyone dies...

53E440FC-6296-448B-80FE-FFE8675706C4.jpeg

7295F401-0DC5-4315-A6F5-B3E7CBE84A71.jpeg

And yes, I haz an envy!

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I'm getting impatient and I'm about ready to unroot and reflash my factory image and hope the sucker boots up so that I may manually force the 8.1 update.

I still have this little thought I may need to wipe my device and unlock critical :eek:o_O:(

Edit:
My sis got the 8.1.0 update. No issues with her bootloader unlocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
I played with the Google pixel 2 XL in a pop up shop in Los Angeles earlier yesterday. I was really impressed by the camera quality and also the screen! Wow the colors looked so accurate. I didn’t like having those buttons on the bottom row, but I did enjoy the interface and googles “portrait” mode.

I went ahead and ordered the phone unlocked online and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using their Project Fi service?? Is it reliable or a good alternative? Is it worth the price? Thanks in advance

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Anyone having trouble with delayed answering of calls on their Pixels? I slide up to answer and say "hello" and sometimes have to say it 2 or 3 times after because it hasnt connected yet. It doesnt do it all the time and will do it on both Wifi Calling and LTE (Verizon). Any ideas?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Anyone having trouble with delayed answering of calls on their Pixels? I slide up to answer and say "hello" and sometimes have to say it 2 or 3 times after because it hasnt connected yet. It doesnt do it all the time and will do it on both Wifi Calling and LTE (Verizon). Any ideas?

Seems fine here with T-Mobile. I have Wifi Calling on but set to Mobile preferred and VoLTE turned on as well.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
What's everyone's Brightness Level at with Adaptive Brightness turned on?

Unlike Auto-Brightness, playing around with the brightness slider with Adaptive turned on will set the minimum brightness level for Adaptive. Toggling Adaptive Brightness On/Off will not set back to factory values, and will stick with what you last set.

I'm more interested in knowing the stock brightness value with Adaptive Brightness, from someone who did not change their brightness settings.

Update: Was bothering me, so did another factory reset. Default brightness with Adaptive on is 50%.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973 and Six8

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I played with the Google pixel 2 XL in a pop up shop in Los Angeles earlier yesterday. I was really impressed by the camera quality and also the screen! Wow the colors looked so accurate. I didn’t like having those buttons on the bottom row, but I did enjoy the interface and googles “portrait” mode.

I went ahead and ordered the phone unlocked online and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using their Project Fi service?? Is it reliable or a good alternative? Is it worth the price? Thanks in advance

My sis has been using fi for the past couple days, so far she is very impressed

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Well I'm proud to say, I bit the bullet and just ordered a Black and White Pixel 2 XL from Google. Afraid I will get a bad screen phone, but currently having the LG V30, if it's the same the V30's I'm totally fine with that.

I am just a stock Android nerd, having owned the Nexus-One, Nexus-S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Motorola Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, and this will be my first Pixel.

I am returning my V30 this week. I really liked the V30 a lot, great phone, super good phone, but I am looking to be off contract, and have an unlocked phone, as well as an unlocked bootloader phone, and with the 3 year support Google said they'd give the Pixel 2 line, as well as a free Google Home Mini, I'm in.

Let's see how this goes. I ordered 2 cases, the Carbon Fabric case, as well as Peel Silver case.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well I'm proud to say, I bit the bullet and just ordered a Black and White Pixel 2 XL from Google. Afraid I will get a bad screen phone, but currently having the LG V30, if it's the same the V30's I'm totally fine with that.

I am just a stock Android nerd, having owned the Nexus-One, Nexus-S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Motorola Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, and this will be my first Pixel.

I am returning my V30 this week. I really liked the V30 a lot, great phone, super good phone, but I am looking to be off contract, and have an unlocked phone, as well as an unlocked bootloader phone, and with the 3 year support Google said they'd give the Pixel 2 line, as well as a free Google Home Mini, I'm in.

Let's see how this goes. I ordered 2 cases, the Carbon Fabric case, as well as Peel Silver case.
Cool! I hope you like it a lot and share some of the things you do with it. I miss my Pixel 2 experience more than I expected to. I would rather have the larger phone, but finances dictate the smaller one for me when I do go back. And I intend to go back. If I don’t get the Pixel 2 for Christmas I’ll buy it on my own. I’ve been reading up on things I didn’t know I could do with the Pixel 2 while I had it. I overlooked a lot in the short time I had it.

I like reading about the Galaxy S9 but I don’t want to do curves screens and my S8+ is going to hold me a long time. Even my S7 and S7 Edge we’re still viable and I really didn’t need to upgrade when I did. I actually downgraded my audio experience for video recording.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I love the style the iPhone X, it looks like a great smartphone, but my overall beef with iOS doesn't last long. Every iPhone I've had I like a lot at first, but as the weeks go by, I really start to get irritated with the way iOS works compared to stock Android. And then a month or two of owning an iPhone I start get mad and frustrated. But the thing is, that iPhone X is just such a great design really has the best overall feel, roudned edges, very comfortable. But man I just wish iOS 11 didn't feel like something from five years ago.

OS = I prefer stock Android #1
Hardware = I prefer iPhone X best

At the end of the day, I interact with the OS mostly, so cool awesome looking hardware goes to the side, and the preferred OS is important.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I love the style the iPhone X, it looks like a great smartphone, but my overall beef with iOS doesn't last long. Every iPhone I've had I like a lot at first, but as the weeks go by, I really start to get irritated with the way iOS works compared to stock Android. And then a month or two of owning an iPhone I start get mad and frustrated. But the thing is, that iPhone X is just such a great design really has the best overall feel, roudned edges, very comfortable. But man I just wish iOS 11 didn't feel like something from five years ago.

OS = I prefer stock Android #1
Hardware = I prefer iPhone X best

At the end of the day, I interact with the OS mostly, so cool awesome looking hardware goes to the side, and the preferred OS is important.
To further your point, am I the only one that feels that Apple missed a huge opportunity with iOS 11 and OLED displays? I mean, Apple FINALLY adopts OLED -- FINALLY -- and they make absolutely no good use of it. No ambient/always-on display, no lift-to-check time and date (without the entire screen turning on)... oh, and notifications still turn on the whole screen, is that right? Color me surprised.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
To further your point, am I the only one that feels that Apple missed a huge opportunity with iOS 11 and OLED displays? I mean, Apple FINALLY adopts OLED -- FINALLY -- and they make absolutely no good use of it. No ambient/always-on display, no lift-to-check time and date (without the entire screen turning on)... oh, and notifications still turn on the whole screen, is that right? Color me surprised.
And no dark mode. Really. I know there’s a way to make everything look dark but it’s not a true dark mode.

I’m just glad I am able to run two, even three different phones concurrently. (I ran my Samsung on WiFi when I had a Pixel 2). Most of what I want to do can be done well on iOS but there are times it drives me crazy, like on YouTube or when I want to buy books inside of the Kindle app and can’t. I just set my iPhone down and pick up my Android phone for a few things here and there.

The reverse is also true. There’s a certain trust I have in iOS that makes me reach for it when the poop hits the fan in my life. Maybe it’s because I’ve had so many more years on iOS and it’s an old friend at this point. I don’t know.

~~Oh I did see the new Star Wars movie. Porgs were everything I hoped they would be. They don’t take over the movie like Ewoks did so I don’t think anyone will hate them. They’re just animals and in a few scenes adding local color. I am glad Pixels can have Porgs! And that’s all I will say about the movie.~~

Reactions: v0lume4

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
And no dark mode. Really. I know there’s a way to make everything look dark but it’s not a true dark mode.

I’m just glad I am able to run two, even three different phones concurrently. (I ran my Samsung on WiFi when I had a Pixel 2). Most of what I want to do can be done well on iOS but there are times it drives me crazy, like on YouTube or when I want to buy books inside of the Kindle app and can’t. I just set my iPhone down and pick up my Android phone for a few things here and there.

The reverse is also true. There’s a certain trust I have in iOS that makes me reach for it when the poop hits the fan in my life. Maybe it’s because I’ve had so many more years on iOS and it’s an old friend at this point. I don’t know.

~~Oh I did see the new Star Wars movie. Porgs were everything I hoped they would be. They don’t take over the movie like Ewoks did so I don’t think anyone will hate them. They’re just animals and in a few scenes adding local color. I am glad Pixels can have Porgs! And that’s all I will say about the movie.~~
Yes, being able to have the best of both worlds is ideal. :)

Also, regarding Star Wars -- I plan to see it over the next couple of weeks. Can't wait! I'm not even aware of these "Porgs" -- is that what's in your profile pic?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
FE956002-23A9-4C9B-BC6D-06E514DEC41F.jpeg
Yes, being able to have the best of both worlds is ideal. :)

Also, regarding Star Wars -- I plan to see it over the next couple of weeks. Can't wait! I'm not even aware of these "Porgs" -- is that what's in your profile pic?
Yes those are porgs. I put in a fan picture so you can see them a bit better. They appear in the trailer with Chewie. Pixel 2 has AR stickers that enable us to set porgs and other Star Wars characters like Stormtroopers into pictures. People over on Android Central say this feature eats through battery capacity and heats up the phone a bit so it’s not a feature I think anyone will use heavily. But it’s seemed to have charmed and won over more people and garnered less criticism than Animoji.

I love Animoji, by the way but use it very sparingly and only with family. It could get very annoying very fast.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
so.....had to return my Pixel 2XL. It has just way too many screen issues with burn in and ghosting.
They are sending me another one and it should be here on Monday....ordered the storm trooper model this time.

This will be my 3rd 2XL and very last one.....

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
so.....had to return my Pixel 2XL. It has just way too many screen issues with burn in and ghosting.
They are sending me another one and it should be here on Monday....ordered the storm trooper model this time.

Oh jeez, sorry to hear that. I do hope the third one works out. I would have liked a Pixel the size of the 2XL but its higher price tag and issues like you’ve experienced keep me from choosing it. I was happy enough with my Pixel 2 display it was typing on it that was challenging.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

What were the other issues you had outside of burn in and ghosting?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Oh I forgot to mention I was planning on returning my iPhone X because it has a pink border on the display like my Samsung has, but less obnoxious due to the flatness of the display.

But looking at the pictures of other people’s display issues and seeing how much nicer my display is than my husband’s even though his lacks the pink (but has blue shifting) I decided to keep it after all. The QC lottery on the iPhone X hasn’t been much fun to play, either. 2017 has been a sucky year for display issues.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Picked up a midnight fabric case from the pop up store today. The Pixelbook was tempting, given how much cheaper it is than in the UK.

Reactions: nospleen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.