Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Play store says my device is uncertified in settings...

My sister's device is bootloader unlocked as well as critical unlocked. She got the prompt a couple days ago for 8.1

Edit: her device reads uncertified in the play store as well. :confused:

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Play store says my device is uncertified in settings...

My sister's device is bootloader unlocked as well as critical unlocked. She got the prompt a couple days ago for 8.1

Edit: her device reads uncertified in the play store as well. :confused:
So, if you unlock your boot loader so that you can customize your phone, you can’t use the play store or get your security patches? Am I understanding this correctly?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So, if you unlock your boot loader so that you can customize your phone, you can’t use the play store or get your security patches? Am I understanding this correctly?

I sure the heck hope not! If so this'd be the last Android device I'd buy from Google! I'm chatting with Google now. So far they had me uninstall play store updates and I rebooted.

Went back into the play store and it now reads certified.

Still wondering about those otas however. I want to make sure before I prep for things which is going to be a bit of a task o_O

Reactions: 5105973

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
so.....had to return my Pixel 2XL. It has just way too many screen issues with burn in and ghosting.
They are sending me another one and it should be here on Monday....ordered the storm trooper model this time.

This will be my 3rd 2XL and very last one.....

Sorry to hear this dude. You’ve not had much luck with the old XL 2 have you? Definitely seems like Google have some QC issues that need ironing out.

What do you think you will go to if this one doesn’t fare any better?

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sorry to hear this dude. You’ve not had much luck with the old XL 2 have you? Definitely seems like Google have some QC issues that need ironing out.

What do you think you will go to if this one doesn’t fare any better?
I'm really interested in the Mate 10 Pro. Might have to get on of those to test out. The camera is supposed to be great!

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm really interested in the Mate 10 Pro. Might have to get on of those to test out. The camera is supposed to be great!

Yeah I read that too. Well hopefully third time lucky with the 2 XL. :)

EDIT - so just beamed the Mate 10 Pro review to my tv from Android Central. Phone looks fantastic! Now even I’m tempted. Lol.

On a side note, the guy reviewing it showed as being in Chester at one point - that’s right by me!! Who knew. :p

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That one isn’t in America, is it?

I think for me and Android at this point it’s Google or bust. I’m very interested in the Samsung phones but my S8+ is good at giving me what I want out of the Samsung ecosystem. The battery standby time is great. I am now curious to see if Samsung’s promise about the battery longevity will come true.

Apple needs to work on that. Apple batteries degrade so fast.

Anyway I want to see what Google can do. I just hope I don’t get a defective phone again.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I think for me and Android at this point it’s Google or bust. I’m very interested in the Samsung phones but my S8+ is good at giving me what I want out of the Samsung ecosystem. The battery standby time is great. I am now curious to see if Samsung’s promise about the battery longevity will come true.

Anyway I want to see what Google can do. I just hope I don’t get a defective phone again.

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-mate-10-pro-verizon-att-us-release-823245/

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I noticed some burn in from Waze on my Pixel 2 XL earlier in the week. I haven’t used Waze since, but it’s still there. I’m going to have to see what my return/replacement options are. This is ridiculous after only a month’s use.
2a4e5f67fb08b6bc1a8c74b404721053.jpg

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

It is not on any carriers yet. But there are rumors that it will come to Verizon and AT&T early next year.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I noticed some burn in from Waze on my Pixel 2 XL earlier in the week. I haven’t used Waze since, but it’s still there. I’m going to have to see what my return/replacement options are. This is ridiculous after only a month’s use.
2a4e5f67fb08b6bc1a8c74b404721053.jpg

:eek: dang! That's really bad :eek:

I see a bit on mine but so far only the nav bar on videos. Sometimes I have to look for it, other times it's noticable.

Been fairly common for me to have issues with every Nexus / and now pixel device I have gotten. :(

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
This device is interesting me because of the pure vanilla Android. However I’ve heard that apps aren’t as polished on Android compared to iOS. I’m wondering if the Pixel 2 non XL is different since it’s a Google phone?

Anyone want to share their experience? Thanks!

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
This device is interesting me because of the pure vanilla Android. However I’ve heard that apps aren’t as polished on Android compared to iOS. I’m wondering if the Pixel 2 non XL is different since it’s a Google phone?

Anyone want to share their experience? Thanks!
You should visit the alternatives to iOS section of Macrumors. That’s where all the information is.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Android phones to consider:

OnePlus 5/ 5T
Pixel 2
Pixel 2xl
Galaxy s8/+
Note 8
Lg v30
Huawei mate 10 pro

All of these phones will serve you well. Some of the best info is found on the android subreddit on Reddit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.