Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I quite enjoyed my time with the X but at the end of the day, iOS seems stale to me which it never has before (I had the 7+ at launch and loved it!). But after using the latest round of Nougat and Oreo, Android has caught up to iOS in terms of smoothness and UI interaction. That for me, coupled with the customization, has me firmly in android camp for the time being.

Sorry to hear about the eye straining. I couldn't get comfortable reading a large amount of text on the X either. I'm not sure if it's the size or the screen but my Pixel 2 XL is much more pleasant to look at for long amounts of time.
There is something up with the iPhone X display. I’m on the eye strain thread about it. I noticed something last night that I just posted over there, about a huge difference between my husband’s iPhone X display and mine.

His has very noticeable blue shift and is much dimmer on the same 50% brightness setting than mine is. But his display has less flicker at that setting. There’s a possibility I could return my X and try for a display more like his. Sadly it would from an aesthetic perspective be quite a good deal less attractive, but I could more easily read on it.

I don’t think I will bother. I’m going to be a realist and own up to the fact I will trade this phone in when the new models come out. I may go for the LCD option if they don’t make the cameras too weak. I have a few more days to mull it over.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I wanted to bring my xl 2 with me to work this morning but had what I can only describe as a charging snafu :eek:

I tried all day to run my battery down so I could charge it full before I went to bed but ended up at 20% so I figured I'd toss it on the charger when I woke through the night as I usually do.

So about 3 I plugged it in, laid back down and when I got up an hour later it only charged to 27% and had 5 hours left on fast charging. o_O

So I think either the cable or plug I was using went junk, at least I hope. It was the Nexus 6p charger I was using. So I pulled the new one from the pixel box and used it. It went from about 27% to about 45 % in about 20 min while I was taking a shower and getting ready for work.

Hope it's not an issue with the device

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I got my 2nd Pixel 2 XL yesterday and I've already requested a return. I went to apply the screen protector this morning on it fresh out of the box. Cleaned the screen with a microfiber cloth and there was a few pieces of dust that would not come off. I tried a bit of water, and even used the tip of my fingernail but it wouldn't come off. Upon closer examination it's part of the screen. Not sure what it is but they are clearly visible when the phone is off and they would not come off. My day is ruined. :(

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I got my 2nd Pixel 2 XL yesterday and I've already requested a return. I went to apply the screen protector this morning on it fresh out of the box. Cleaned the screen with a microfiber cloth and there was a few pieces of dust that would not come off. I tried a bit of water, and even used the tip of my fingernail but it wouldn't come off. Upon closer examination it's part of the screen. Not sure what it is but they are clearly visible when the phone is off and they would not come off. My day is ruined. :(

dang, that sucks! sorry to hear about this. I hope they get you a replacement asap.

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Google has some real quality control issue imho. I am on my 3rd Pixel 2 XL.....
Hopefully they get a replacement out to you quickly.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Google has some real quality control issue imho. I am on my 3rd Pixel 2 XL.....
Hopefully they get a replacement out to you quickly.

This one I got also has blue tint wayyyy worse than my original one and my co-workers. Anything off angle and it goes from white to blue instantly and harshly. It's amazing how 2 phones can look so different.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I’m also on my third P2XL and each have had different issues. The first one had pretty harsh blue tint. The second one had major Wifi issues. The third, and current one, is good on WiFi but back to major blue shift. Having used the iPhone X and other AMOLED screen phones, this is not something I think I should just “deal with” considering the price of the phone.

I’ve got a Huawei Mate 10 Pro on the way so I can check that out. Just might be good enough for me to return the P2XL for good.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This one I got also has blue tint wayyyy worse than my original one and my co-workers. Anything off angle and it goes from white to blue instantly and harshly. It's amazing how 2 phones can look so different.
So far I feel luck with the 3rd one. It is the storm trooper panda model. The build quality seems better somehow than the last 2 black ones. It actually feels snappier than the last 2 2XLs i had. It still has the blue tint but not as bad as the last.....so far so good....fingers crossed.
The only good thing is Google is so good at the return process.....

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’ve lost track. Is there anybody still on this thread who did NOT need or want to return their first Pixel2/2XL?

@jamezr well you know the saying “Practice makes perfect”. Sadly, Google should have the return process perfected by now.

My Pixel 2 would have been perfect for anyone who doesn’t like to shoot videos. I know plenty of people who could have owned that phone and had it for a year and not realized it could not record video without producing strange blotches. Even then, they might have shrugged off the blotches.

Or worse, I have a sister-in-law who thinks everything is caused by ghosts. I kid you not. She trips, it’s because a ghost pushed her. And when it comes to digital photos she is obsessed with “orbs”. Basically she loses her mind over glowing dust specks in pictures. They’re dust. Just dust. Really. I believe in the possibility of ghosts or “something” because I’ve seen some weird things that defy a rational explanation, aside from Justin Bieber’s popularity, but this is just dust. If she were to see those odd blotches in my videos she would swear it’s her deceased cousin trying to make contact. She already won’t listen to reason about lens flare. I guess every family has that eccentric aunt. She’s the one for the kids in our family. I’m really quite bothered by this, because I wanted to be the crazy aunt. But she’s got me beat by a mile. I have more cats though, so there is still hope. :D

Reactions: Wildo6882

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I’ve lost track. Is there anybody still on this thread who did NOT need or want to return their first Pixel2/2XL?

@jamezr well you know the saying “Practice makes perfect”. Sadly, Google should have the return process perfected by now.

My Pixel 2 would have been perfect for anyone who doesn’t like to shoot videos. I know plenty of people who could have owned that phone and had it for a year and not realized it could not record video without producing strange blotches. Even then, they might have shrugged off the blotches.

Or worse, I have a sister-in-law who thinks everything is caused by ghosts. I kid you not. She trips, it’s because a ghost pushed her. And when it comes to digital photos she is obsessed with “orbs”. Basically she loses her mind over glowing dust specks in pictures. They’re dust. Just dust. Really. I believe in the possibility of ghosts or “something” because I’ve seen some weird things that defy a rational explanation, aside from Justin Bieber’s popularity, but this is just dust. If she were to see those odd blotches in my videos she would swear it’s her deceased cousin trying to make contact. She already won’t listen to reason about lens flare. I guess every family has that eccentric aunt. She’s the one for the kids in our family. I’m really quite bothered by this, because I wanted to be the crazy aunt. But she’s got me beat by a mile. I have more cats though, so there is still hope. :D
LOL....we have a family friend that thinks....all unexplained occurrences are spirits of the departed that cannot pass through this plane of existence to the next (her words not mine). If you have lens flare in a picture.....spirits.....dog barks and noting is there...spirits....had a weird dream....spirits.....I could go on but i think you get what I am trying to say.
Sounds like you will have to go the cat route to beat her though!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Mine works great, even if I did move to the iPhone X.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
These things just won't let him sleep....
b5e40af8065c87e15ea991bffa0fe278.jpg

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
I wanted to bring my xl 2 with me to work this morning but had what I can only describe as a charging snafu :eek:

I tried all day to run my battery down so I could charge it full before I went to bed but ended up at 20% so I figured I'd toss it on the charger when I woke through the night as I usually do.

So about 3 I plugged it in, laid back down and when I got up an hour later it only charged to 27% and had 5 hours left on fast charging. o_O

So I think either the cable or plug I was using went junk, at least I hope. It was the Nexus 6p charger I was using. So I pulled the new one from the pixel box and used it. It went from about 27% to about 45 % in about 20 min while I was taking a shower and getting ready for work.

Hope it's not an issue with the device
It is the 6P charger you're using, as it's known to cause issues charging Pixel devices due to hardware implementations they've made to the charger for the 6P exclusively. I would stop using the 6P charger and stick with the OEM charger/cable you received for the Pixel.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth

I still got my slightly blue tinged a wee bit burnt in status bar original (edit: original meaning the first one I ordered myself, not the actual first gen pixel :)) XL 2

The blue tint, is honestly not a big issue for me, I see the shift as just a shadow of the pixels. The burn in from the status bar irks me. I haven't noticed burn in anywhere else. I'm about 31% brightness.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
These things just won't let him sleep....
b5e40af8065c87e15ea991bffa0fe278.jpg
Squeeeeeeeeee! I’m definitely getting a Pixel 2. It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine! Edit to add that I saved this pic so I can look at it whenever I need cheering up. Dogs and porgs...too much cuteness!

In response to your other post that’s my sister-in-law to a T. You’re all the way on the other side of the country so I’ll assume your family friend is, too, otherwise I’d think we have this person in common. Yes, I’ll have to go the cat lady route. Or crazy Porg lady.
[doublepost=1513811170][/doublepost]
I still got my slightly blue tinged a wee bit burnt in status bar original XL 2

The blue tint, is honestly not a big issue for me, I see the shift as just a shadow of the pixels. The burn in from the status bar irks me. I haven't noticed burn in anywhere else. I'm about 31% brightness.
My husband’s iPhone X has a Pixel 2XL-worthy off-axis blue tint. Fortunately he’s not bothered by it. But we were both a little surprised since it is a Samsung display.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I don't like using HDR on the front camera during the day, because it gives your face a kind of oversharpened look. Hard to describe.

But just took some at night where you can barely see your face with it switched off. But turn it on and it works brilliantly. And without the oversharpened look. Love the Pixel and the main reason I wanted one was the camera. And it hasn't disappointed.

Fingers crossed no problems with my black & white, where each of the just black had one issue or another. Here's a quick pic I took this morning overlooking Lake Michigan.

Last edited:

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I don't like using HDR on the front camera during the day, because it gives your face a kind of oversharpened look. Hard to describe.

But just took some at night where you can barely see your face with it switched off. But turn it on and it works brilliantly. And without the oversharpened look. Love the Pixel and the main reason I wanted one was the camera. And it hasn't disappointed.

Fingers crossed no problems with my black & white, where each of the just black had one issue or another. Here's a quick pic I took this morning overlooking Lake Michigan.
View attachment 742934

Incredible pic!!

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada

View attachment 742934
That looks great!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Look at that gold phone in the background :D
And look how the curtains and the deep green wall sets off the whole look. Very stylish, this looks better than some print ad work I’ve seen. It’s not the “box on the kitchen table” photo we all usually share around here. Lol, or in my case, on the grubby back deck with stray cats nosing around.

Reactions: Aneres11 and jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I picked up a panda and I have no issues with it.
That’s what Steven Seagal said...

5522D306-F8C4-476C-9B2F-261CA7839C07.jpeg

I’m glad to hear this. We need solid alternatives to Apple. Google needs to step up to the plate along with other Android phone makers.

I’m a bit bummed right now reading about how Apple throttled phones with old batteries. I’m fine with them doing that if there’s transparency about what’s going on. What bugs me is that people are saying they couldn’t buy new batteries even if they are willing to pay for them out of pocket, because their local Geniuses run the diagnostic and claim the battery is fine and send them back out with a badly performing iPhone. I’m tired of Apple calling the shots on everything down to the ability to buy a new battery with our own flipping money.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
That’s what Steven Seagal said...

View attachment 743030

I’m glad to hear this. We need solid alternatives to Apple. Google needs to step up to the plate along with other Android phone makers.

I’m a bit bummed right now reading about how Apple throttled phones with old batteries. I’m fine with them doing that if there’s transparency about what’s going on. What bugs me is that people are saying they couldn’t buy new batteries even if they are willing to pay for them out of pocket, because their local Geniuses run the diagnostic and claim the battery is fine and send them back out with a badly performing iPhone. I’m tired of Apple calling the shots on everything down to the ability to buy a new battery with our own flipping money.

Did that panda end up attempting to maul Steven? lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.