Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
That’s what Steven Seagal said...

View attachment 743030

I’m glad to hear this. We need solid alternatives to Apple. Google needs to step up to the plate along with other Android phone makers.

I’m a bit bummed right now reading about how Apple throttled phones with old batteries. I’m fine with them doing that if there’s transparency about what’s going on. What bugs me is that people are saying they couldn’t buy new batteries even if they are willing to pay for them out of pocket, because their local Geniuses run the diagnostic and claim the battery is fine and send them back out with a badly performing iPhone. I’m tired of Apple calling the shots on everything down to the ability to buy a new battery with our own flipping money.

I heard that this particular Panda's white fur turned blue when viewed off-axis and had shoddy build quality. Seagal demanded a replacement and luckily the second one was much better.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I heard that this particular Panda's white fur turned blue when viewed off-axis and had shoddy build quality. Seagal demanded a replacement and luckily the second one was much better.
:D:D:p:p Made me lol!
[doublepost=1513882487][/doublepost]
The panda was the one at risk here..... tic....

Steven Seagal Accused of Panda Molestation
https://yeahboss.wordpress.com/2008/12/08/steven-seagal-accused-of-panda-molestation/
:eek: #pandametoo. Oh no!

Kung Fu Panda may be talking to the press next about what he was asked to do to get those movies released.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
And look how the curtains and the deep green wall sets off the whole look. Very stylish, this looks better than some print ad work I’ve seen. It’s not the “box on the kitchen table” photo we all usually share around here. Lol, or in my case, on the grubby back deck with stray cats nosing around.

I feel I need to share a picture of the room now for context... lol.

Here ya go:

jFcjY2G.jpg

I'm all set up and running now on the 2 XL.

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it until I had it in my hands and set up how I like it, but honestly, I'm not really sure after a few hours with it.

Do you know what I am finding? I think it's too big. Having used the iPhone X since launch, which BTW was probably the most perfect phone for my small hands, this seems humongous.
It also doesn't feel very 'premium' to me for the cost of the thing. It's pretty slippy, and also quite light. I can't decide if the lightness is a bad or a good thing. In a phone this size, the lighter the better I guess, but at the same time, it makes it feel cheaper still. The X is pretty weighty, and feels amazing.

Screen (now saturated mode is on) is perfectly serviceable to me. Looks good, not as good as the iPhone X. This mode is probably too saturated to my tastes, with the others leaving something to be desired - very similar tale to that of the OG Pixel.

I keep picking my Pixel 2 XL up and waiting for the screen to unlock automatically, then remembering. And now I get it. I get FaceID.
As much as I moan about it when it doesn't work and how it's sometimes finicky, the majority of times it does work it is pretty flawless. The back fingerprint reader of the 2 XL is fine, but I still maintain the back is the worst place to put it. Front or side please.

I love the camera, obviously. Have taken a couple of test shots and already know it is fantastic. Goes without saying.

I love the little Oreo touches - Spotify's 'now playing' in the notification tray when pulled down looks amazing with the lick of colour taken from the album artwork. Very nice touch.

Like how there's a visible notification light - not tucked into the speaker grill. Weird, but I hate it when they're put in there.

The phone flies, it really is the iPhone Android. I just wish the software was on the X design! :p.

I think whilst comparing both devices I am starting to really dig my iPhone X more than I thought I did. It's so typical of me to confuse being satisfied with boredom, and having the 2 XL kind of proves that to me. Whilst I do prefer Android, I like sexy hardware and sometimes the performance, camera and fantastic software isn't enough when the phone can't be used one handed or sit in the hand comfortably. These are things I guess I didn't consider - again, typical Aneres. :rolleyes:

So I'm not sure. I actually really like both phones, if I could keep both of them you bet you I would, but that isn't a possibility. So now I am very very torn.
Tomorrow I will put my X in a drawer and take the 2 XL out and about with me and see how I feel. Then hopefully have a clearer decision by tomorrow evening. Wish me luck lol.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Here ya go:

jFcjY2G.jpg

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it until I had it in my hands and set up how I like it, but honestly, I'm not really sure after a few hours with it.

Do you know what I am finding? I think it's too big. Having used the iPhone X since launch, which BTW was probably the most perfect phone for my small hands, this seems humongous.
It also doesn't feel very 'premium' to me for the cost of the thing. It's pretty slippy, and also quite light. I can't decide if the lightness is a bad or a good thing. In a phone this size, the lighter the better I guess, but at the same time, it makes it feel cheaper still. The X is pretty weighty, and feels amazing.

Screen (now saturated mode is on) is perfectly serviceable to me. Looks good, not as good as the iPhone X. This mode is probably too saturated to my tastes, with the others leaving something to be desired - very similar tale to that of the OG Pixel.

I keep picking my Pixel 2 XL up and waiting for the screen to unlock automatically, then remembering. And now I get it. I get FaceID.
As much as I moan about it when it doesn't work and how it's sometimes finicky, the majority of times it does work it is pretty flawless. The back fingerprint reader of the 2 XL is fine, but I still maintain the back is the worst place to put it. Front or side please.

I love the camera, obviously. Have taken a couple of test shots and already know it is fantastic. Goes without saying.

I love the little Oreo touches - Spotify's 'now playing' in the notification tray when pulled down looks amazing with the lick of colour taken from the album artwork. Very nice touch.

Like how there's a visible notification light - not tucked into the speaker grill. Weird, but I hate it when they're put in there.

The phone flies, it really is the iPhone Android. I just wish the software was on the X design! :p.

I think whilst comparing both devices I am starting to really dig my iPhone X more than I thought I did. It's so typical of me to confuse being satisfied with boredom, and having the 2 XL kind of proves that to me. Whilst I do prefer Android, I like sexy hardware and sometimes the performance, camera and fantastic software isn't enough when the phone can't be used one handed or sit in the hand comfortably. These are things I guess I didn't consider - again, typical Aneres. :rolleyes:

So I'm not sure. I actually really like both phones, if I could keep both of them you bet you I would, but that isn't a possibility. So now I am very very torn.
Tomorrow I will put my X in a drawer and take the 2 XL out and about with me and see how I feel. Then hopefully have a clearer decision by tomorrow evening. Wish me luck lol.
somebody went to interior design school....my complements! :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Here ya go:

jFcjY2G.jpg

:eek: That room is too perfect to be real. Admit it, it’s a set for a photo shoot! That is seriously gorgeous...and tidy. I’m in awe. I have a home office but when I got a precancerous issue that needed attention awhile back, I got sidetracked from finishing it up and we kept throwing things in there that we didn’t know what to do with, so now it’s basically a store room. I’m a disgrace. I keep intending to get to work on it but my schedule now is so choppy. A project like that needs at least a week of uninterrupted time and I just can’t get that. I have this week off but then I got the flu. :oops:

Anyway, I’m just stunned.

We will be retiring in a few years to a small condo. Perhaps I can make a small corner for myself there that looks like your office. I need just one gorgeous wall!

I completely get what you’re saying about the build of the Pixel 2XL. My husband and I said the same thing. It is in the same price range as the IPhone X and the Samsung flagships but lacks the aesthetics and design that you’d expect in that price class. After seeing your office I can see how that is especially important to you.

However, I’ve had my gorgeous X in an Otterbox Defender the last few weeks. (I’m hoping to get more stylish cases for Christmas) and of course that reduces the phone down again to the functionality and software experience. Which is in fact very enjoyable. I’m loving the X, no denying that. I’m able to run two lines and one is always reserved for an Android phone. And if I could have only one, it definitely would be the X over the Pixel 2...at this point. I’m still very tied to iMessage communication with the other parents I’m friends with and with my own extended family members.

But there is just something I missed dearly about owning the Pixel. When I do get back into it I am going to get the smaller Pixel 2 again. I feel the value for the $ is there. The deal on photo storage is very appealing, too. What exactly do I miss? A sense of adventure and potential, I think. Lol, there’s also something about it that reminds me of the Millennial Falcon, it’s this unassuming package that you feel is going to do impressive things. Am I really going to see that in THIS generation of the Pixel? I don’t know but I want to find out. I’ve got to take the plunge sometime. I had a good run with Samsung and may again someday but they’re not the Android I am looking for at this point in time. (Sorry for so many Star Wars references, I’m such a geek girl).

It does get hard to spend $1000 on a second phone. Especially given that I had already done that in buying the S8+, so technically it was my third big phone purchase of the year. So even as much as I think the Panda version is so appealing, I can’t commit to its price tag. I’m small and have small hands but I’m able to adjust to handling any phone, somehow. It’s down to carrying them around where I appreciate the smaller phones.

Lol about Face ID...I still use my 7 Plus a lot. I find myself staring at it, waiting for it to unlock. :rolleyes: I keep swiping up on it, too. I’m really messed up when I navigate my S8+ now. :oops:

Reactions: jamezr and Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
:eek: That room is too perfect to be real. Admit it, it’s a set for a photo shoot! That is seriously gorgeous...and tidy. I’m in awe. I have a home office but when I got a precancerous issue that needed attention awhile back, I got sidetracked from finishing it up and we kept throwing things in there that we didn’t know what to do with, so now it’s basically a store room. I’m a disgrace. I keep intending to get to work on it but my schedule now is so choppy. A project like that needs at least a week of uninterrupted time and I just can’t get that. I have this week off but then I got the flu. :oops:

Anyway, I’m just stunned.

We will be retiring in a few years to a small condo. Perhaps I can make a small corner for myself there that looks like your office. I need just one gorgeous wall!

I completely get what you’re saying about the build of the Pixel 2XL. My husband and I said the same thing. It is in the same price range as the IPhone X and the Samsung flagships but lacks the aesthetics and design that you’d expect in that price class. After seeing your office I can see how that is especially important to you.

However, I’ve had my gorgeous X in an Otterbox Defender the last few weeks. (I’m hoping to get more stylish cases for Christmas) and of course that reduces the phone down again to the functionality and software experience. Which is in fact very enjoyable. I’m loving the X, no denying that. I’m able to run two lines and one is always reserved for an Android phone. And if I could have only one, it definitely would be the X over the Pixel 2...at this point. I’m still very tied to iMessage communication with the other parents I’m friends with and with my own extended family members.

But there is just something I missed dearly about owning the Pixel. When I do get back into it I am going to get the smaller Pixel 2 again. I feel the value for the $ is there. The deal on photo storage is very appealing, too. What exactly do I miss? A sense of adventure and potential, I think. Lol, there’s also something about it that reminds me of the Millennial Falcon, it’s this unassuming package that you feel is going to do impressive things. Am I really going to see that in THIS generation of the Pixel? I don’t know but I want to find out. I’ve got to take the plunge sometime. I had a good run with Samsung and may again someday but they’re not the Android I am looking for at this point in time. (Sorry for so many Star Wars references, I’m such a geek girl).

It does get hard to spend $1000 on a second phone. Especially given that I had already done that in buying the S8+, so technically it was my third big phone purchase of the year. So even as much as I think the Panda version is so appealing, I can’t commit to its price tag. I’m small and have small hands but I’m able to adjust to handling any phone, somehow. It’s down to carrying them around where I appreciate the smaller phones.

Lol about Face ID...I still use my 7 Plus a lot. I find myself staring at it, waiting for it to unlock. :rolleyes: I keep swiping up on it, too. I’m really messed up when I navigate my S8+ now. :oops:

Ha you're too kind!
We just bought a new house (new build) and interior design is seriously my bag, so it was like a blank canvas for me to just go wild haha. I could show you the other rooms, as the office is actually my least favourite (honestly!) even though I love it, compared to the others we finished. But I won't de-rail the thread!

I'm currently wondering whether I'd prefer a V30 to this Pixel 2 XL.
What is wrong with me?! :mad:

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Honestly tempted to get the Pixel 2 XL. Already have an 8 Plus but I just feel the need to have an Android phone and tried a few of them at stores today. Didn't ideally want to spend tons on a secondary phone, but I like flagship features which unfortunately means if I want what I like, I have to pay flagship prices.

I found the Samsung's overblown with features, like there's so many it's just a bit overwhelming. Yes the screens and design are best in class, hardware is similar to most high end Androids too, but software also matters.

I found the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL perfect in the software department. It's fast, fluid, looks good, and isn't overwhelming to use. Both screens on the pixels were fine to me, with the Pixel 2 XL screen looking just a bit better with more vibrancy and sharper (1080p vs 1440p). Design isn't the best but it's hardware is still on par with other Android's, and the camera is the best in a phone at the moment. Also, one of the few flagships to have stereo speakers.

OnePlus 5T came in a close 2nd from my hands on today, with the software being very quick, and the screen being nice. Hardware is similar to other Androids too, but that camera, despite it proving to be decent from reviews, I just can't get past it not having OIS, and some things lacking on OnePlus like HD video (at the moment) in my mind.

Ahhh, I know I'm being pedantic, but my 8 Plus has most of these things - stereo speakers, good cameras, solid build, good screen, etc, and if I'm trying Android (tried it before but never stuck with it, and now getting a bit bored of iOS) even if it's a secondary, I'd prefer to give it the best shot/chance it can get and don't want to feel like I'm missing anything. Hope that makes sense!?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Almost...
The first gen pixel was more akin to an iPhone overall. The second gen, cleanness software wise :)

BTW have you seen the spoof video someone made when the first gen came out?

:eek::D

Have not, and am at work so I really can’t. But I’d argue that this generation really marks the iPhone-ification of the Pixel. Why? Because Google is starting to add hardware differentiation. No other phone will have the Pixel Visual Core.

And it will likely continue from there.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Honestly tempted to get the Pixel 2 XL. Already have an 8 Plus but I just feel the need to have an Android phone and tried a few of them at stores today. Didn't ideally want to spend tons on a secondary phone, but I like flagship features which unfortunately means if I want what I like, I have to pay flagship prices.

I found the Samsung's overblown with features, like there's so many it's just a bit overwhelming. Yes the screens and design are best in class, hardware is similar to most high end Androids too, but software also matters.

I found the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL perfect in the software department. It's fast, fluid, looks good, and isn't overwhelming to use. Both screens on the pixels were fine to me, with the Pixel 2 XL screen looking just a bit better with more vibrancy and sharper (1080p vs 1440p). Design isn't the best but it's hardware is still on par with other Android's, and the camera is the best in a phone at the moment. Also, one of the few flagships to have stereo speakers.

OnePlus 5T came in a close 2nd from my hands on today, with the software being very quick, and the screen being nice. Hardware is similar to other Androids too, but that camera, despite it proving to be decent from reviews, I just can't get past it not having OIS, and some things lacking on OnePlus like HD video (at the moment) in my mind.

Ahhh, I know I'm being pedantic, but my 8 Plus has most of these things - stereo speakers, good cameras, solid build, good screen, etc, and if I'm trying Android (tried it before but never stuck with it, and now getting a bit bored of iOS) even if it's a secondary, I'd prefer to give it the best shot/chance it can get and don't want to feel like I'm missing anything. Hope that makes sense!?

I'd say the Pixel 2 XL would be great choice to try, as it's very similar in size overall to your 8 Plus, so it won't feel alien.

And the Pixel 2 XL really is the top dog of stock Android phones. It's better than the OPO 5t with a way better camera, and bring waterproof, plus direct updates from Google themselves, promised 3 years of updates on the 2 XL. And the smaller Pixel 2 XL is too small, with huge bezels and tiny battery, so I'd scratch that off your list.

I say go for it

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Well getting a RMA from Google which I'll receive next week. Curiosity got the better of me and I tested for burn in and what do you know, my navigation bar is already burned in after 2 weeks of use. I also get a crackling sound from the earpiece when on a call that I didn't really notice until recently. Should be receiving my new unit mid next week, but debating if I should just sell the new one I'm getting rather than play the lottery.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
My Pixel 2 XL drama continues (some of it self induced)

-Bought on launch but returned at 14 days because I was not convinced I liked it more than my iPhone X
-Purchased again about a week ago because I missed it to much
-Phone went on sale the day after I order for $75 off
-Google said no price matching and to return it and re-order
-Re-ordered
-Returned the one that Google told me to return
-Received new one but it has a screen defect and arranged a return
-Sent phone back but Google never sent a replacement. Simply gave me my money back (or is in the process). Google told me to just re-order.
-Placed new order yesterday and will get it late next week if I'm lucky.

I must REALLY want this phone....

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

-Bought on launch but returned at 14 days because I was not convinced I liked it more than my iPhone X
-Re-ordered
-Sent phone back but Google never sent a replacement. Simply gave me my money back (or is in the process). Google told me to just re-order.

You are a very determined person! :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

-Re-ordered

That’s insane that they wouldn’t price match. Jeez, that’s so stupid of them. Very Dilbert (the comic about the idiocies of corporate bureaucracy) of them. It almost seems like they’re just trying to get a lot of practice in processing returns. :rolleyes:

Despite my being sick I went out last night with my X and my S8+ on a drive through a Christmas light show. With my 2016 phones I got terrible results trying to take pics of lit up wireframe displays from a moving car. What a difference a year makes...I got some really good shots on the 2017 Samsung and iPhone. The X outperformed the S8+ in most cases especially in terms of color accuracy. I was wishing I had a Pixel 2 to test as well. 2017 has definitely been a good year for smartphone cameras. :)

The X is an amazing phone but for me the Achilles heel is the battery life. My husband says he gets good battery life on his but mine drains fast. Playing Animal Crossing Pocket Camp on it doesn’t help. But using the camera drains it a bit fast, too. I usually charge this phone twice a day. My 7 Plus was once a day to a day and a half, even with very heavy camera use. Well it used to be anyway. iOS 11 wrecked that for a long time and it took several iOS 11updates to get some of that excellent battery life back.

Still, my 7Plus isn’t the same phone on 11 that it was on 10. The smoothness is gone. It gets choppy when I’m not expecting it. I’m starting to worry someday in the not too distant future my very eXpensive and smooth X is going to start performing like cheese on the next iOS upgrade, too. With Apple showing both some innovation in hardware but some strategic weaknesses in software, for me there has never been a better time to pit the top Android phones against the iPhones. 2018 better see all of them bringing their A game. Especially Google.

I wish Google would stop trying to emulate the iPhone strategy so closely and instead realize they can drop the prices a little bit, emphasize the simplicity of their hardware and the versatility and capability of their software in contrast to Apple’s complex, expensive hardware and rigid one size fits all approach to software. That’s actually sort of what they are doing now, but they botched it by pricing the phones a little bit too high especially considering their QC has been horrible and they don’t have the reputation and carrier support to charge Apple level prices. And they picked a bad time to remove the headphone jack. They jumped the gun by at least a year. Especially with Samsung still including it.

Getting back to battery life for a moment, I’ve been reading the Pixel 2XL yields some amazing battery life. I can’t remember how my Pixel 2 did. I think it was good for a small phone.

I hope this post makes sense. Still sick and still feels like my head is stuffed with wool.

Last edited:
Reactions: timeconsumer

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
So yeah... after reading probably about 80 pages of this thread, I'm out of getting a Pixel 2 or any other Android phone as a secondary phone this year. No Android phone really offers me what I want aside from the Pixel 2 which has way too many quality control issues.

Ah I'll wait until maybe mid 2018 or later and instead of picking up a new iPhone as I tend to do each year, I'll look to get a new flagship Android phone.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I was just asking because I never saw anything about that on the news.
Lol, It does look very convincing, doesn’t it? Sad to say that’s because the true stories that have been coming out have been even more appalling.

Anyway, @Sparky2012 the smaller Pixel 2 hasn’t had that many QC issues leveled against it. No more so than iPhones typically have at release. Over at Android Central where there are more owners chatting than here, people who have ordered 2XLs more recently say the quality seems better on the more recently delivered ones.

I’m going to take a chance on the Pixel 2, myself. If I end up not getting it as a Christmas present I’ve got the refund from my returned one allocated to buy it again.

Apple now wants to charge me almost $10 a month for a 2 TB storage plan since I’ve exceeded the only other storage plan they offer. So the free unlimited full quality Google photo storage is very appealing to me now. I’m going to have to go through and cull from my collection stored on Apple’s servers. Nobody needs 9000 pictures and videos! :confused: :eek:

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

-Re-ordered

Verizon did the same thing to me on an order I had with them. A phone went on sale a day after I received it. They told me I had to return the device and then re-order. So I played their game and did that, of course by the time they reset my upgrade status it was too late to take advantage of the sale. I now no longer order products from them. If Google did this to me, I would no longer order products from them. It’s sad that a company as big as Google (or in my case Verizon) can’t process price matches without sending an order back and re-ordering. Sorry for my rant, hopefully for all the trouble you’ve had to endure that you receive a phone that doesn’t have any issues.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Over 24 hours in and I am still on the fence with this 2 XL.

I'm almost wishing that the temptation didn't get the better of me with it as it has left me in a bit of a dilemma.
I am missing the hardware of my X, and some of the software functions. I know this sounds ridiculous, but Android's emoji are flat out terrible. And weirdly, they've changed them in WhatsApp so they no longer look like the iOS ones... I know this is petty, but it's these little things that I use daily that add up.
I like how emoji are all the same across all apps for iOS.

Also, Instagram stories (which I also use daily), has a major issue with any Android phone it would seem. When video is filmed and uploaded, the quality takes a huge hit whereas with iPhone it remains very smooth. Another annoyance.

I am getting used to the size of the Pixel 2 XL, but whenever I pick my iPhone X up it feels like a comfortable pair of slippers haha.
I guess I liked the X more than I knew.

I had a look at the smaller Pixel 2 today, albeit a bolted down display model I couldn't pick up, and I actually liked it more than I thought I would. But I prefer the overall design of the 2 XL.

The problem I've got is I can't return the Pixel 2 XL unless there is a fault with it. I can return it within 14 days and change it for something else but cannot physically return it.
Part of me is tempted to return it for an LG V30 which has just had £100 knocked off today so is now £699. Same price I got my 2 XL for.
The concern there though, is if I didn't like that then I couldn't swap again. You only get one swap and that's it, again, unless it's faulty.
Knowing me I'd swap for the V30 and then prefer the 2XL and put myself in an even bigger pickle.

The reason why I like the look of V30 is because it looks like the X haha. So hardware wise it's as close as you'd get it, but it also apparently performs really well and has a decent camera. All good things.
Any advice from anyone?!

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So yeah... after reading probably about 80 pages of this thread, I'm out of getting a Pixel 2 or any other Android phone as a secondary phone this year. No Android phone really offers me what I want aside from the Pixel 2 which has way too many quality control issues.

Ah I'll wait until maybe mid 2018 or later and instead of picking up a new iPhone as I tend to do each year, I'll look to get a new flagship Android phone.

Next year probably different QC issues from different manufacturers and higher price tags.
:confused:

Reactions: timeconsumer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.