Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
View attachment 742172
Yes those are porgs. I put in a fan picture so you can see them a bit better. They appear in the trailer with Chewie. Pixel 2 has AR stickers that enable us to set porgs and other Star Wars characters like Stormtroopers into pictures. People over on Android Central say this feature eats through battery capacity and heats up the phone a bit so it’s not a feature I think anyone will use heavily. But it’s seemed to have charmed and won over more people and garnered less criticism than Animoji.

I love Animoji, by the way but use it very sparingly and only with family. It could get very annoying very fast.
Ah! Now I know what a porg is. :D I'll get to see them next week when I go and see the movie.

You know what you should do to start messing with your family -- start sending all messages via Animoji. All voice -- no text whatsoever.
[doublepost=1513471290][/doublepost]
I turned it off straight away. I don't mind giving it a a quick double tap to see what notifications I might have. Also not too sure about having something on the screen permanently when the particular device might be prone to screen burn.
You wanna hear some garbage? Google removed double tap to wake on the Nexus 6P with Android 8.0. I almost forget the feature used to exist until I read someone mention it. Curse you Pixel users!! :mad::p

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m arguing with Google Assistant in Allo. I asked a simple question of what actress played Rand on Star Trek. Alexa told me the actress’s name and even Rand’s rank in Star Fleet. Google Assistant didn’t want to give me the answer because I wouldn’t enter my location. I told her to answer my question and she said “I’m trying” and put a sad face emoji with a drop of sweat coming from it. But she coughed up the answer when I asked it again. I will definitely be rounded up for experiments when the machines gain sentience. :eek:

Can Alexa (the voice controlled version) be put on the Pixel? Like it can on the HTC U11? Or is that an HTC exclusive?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I’m arguing with Google Assistant in Allo. I asked a simple question of what actress played Rand on Star Trek. Alexa told me the actress’s name and even Rand’s rank in Star Fleet. Google Assistant didn’t want to give me the answer because I wouldn’t enter my location. I told her to answer my question and she said “I’m trying” and put a sad face emoji with a drop of sweat coming from it. But she coughed up the answer when I asked it again. I will definitely be rounded up for experiments when the machines gain sentience. :eek:

Can Alexa (the voice controlled version) be put on the Pixel? Like it can on the HTC U11? Or is that an HTC exclusive?
Alexa should work on any Android phone
Just the normal Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.dee.app

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Per Android Central, small discount on Pixel 2 and 2XL phones https://www.androidcentral.com/deal-pixel-2-and-2-xl-now-50-75-google-store

I just got my refund credited back to my credit card last night and would be all over that deal if I could, but I did put the Pixel 2 on my Christmas wish list so I can’t now buy it for myself and of course have no idea if hubby already did or not.

~~~

Also, according to another article there, Google is now giving much more substantial shipping packages for people to ship in the phones they are trading in.

I’m really pleased to see Google is demonstrating that they are listening to customer complaints and adjusting course continually rather than shrugging off problems to be addressed “next time”.

My nebulous plans so far include getting Pixel 2 whenever I can and then waiting to see what Pixel 3 brings. At first after reading of the trade in debacles I was just going to cross Pixels off my list and stand back and wait and see but their course corrections and the way they handled my lost return inspired confidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig Bitties

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Should I order the panda and see if I got one that will get an ota?! I did retire my 6p and my 6 needs to be retired as well.

Kind of my fault for rooting but normally I get ota prompts whilst rooted.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Wiping device... :(
What are your plans now? Do you think something went awry when you rooted?

My husband blurted out something about Pixel 2 in the car on our way to pick out a real tree, then started babbling and all I can pick out of that is now he wants a Pixel 2 again because I want one, but his reasoning doesn’t make sense, since what do I know about anything? And then he was babbling about Pixels with porgs and well...I think he’s been working too hard. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
What are you guys / gals doing for screen protection on the Pixel 2 XL ? Do you recommend getting a tempered glass screen protector ? Reading on XDA and Amazon reviews, with the 2 XL having a slight curved edge, the tempered glass protectors have a problem staying on, and pop off over time, or have a rainbow effect, and if you want a solid one, then you need to get the type that doesn't go all the way to the edge of the phone, but only just barely to the edge of the screen itself only.

What are your opinions on screen protection overall on modern smartphones with these type of screens ???

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
What are you guys / gals doing for screen protection on the Pixel 2 XL ? Do you recommend getting a tempered glass screen protector ? Reading on XDA and Amazon reviews, with the 2 XL having a slight curved edge, the tempered glass protectors have a problem staying on, and pop off over time, or have a rainbow effect, and if you want a solid one, then you need to get the type that doesn't go all the way to the edge of the phone, but only just barely to the edge of the screen itself only.

What are your opinions on screen protection overall on modern smartphones with these type of screens ???
Never used screen protectors. I try to be careful but the odd hairline scratch etc doesn't bother me, you can't see them when the screen is on anyway.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Going to give this mod a try;

[MAGISK 14][Battery Saver] ENABLE DOZE on Google Play Services [6.0+]
https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/module-enable-doze-google-play-services-t3608783

BACKGROUND :
I always find that Google Play Services is way too aggresive in doing its activities in the background. And its no secret that this main services from google is oftenly one of the main culprit for the sub par battery performance on most stock or even custom ROM across devices.

THE IDEA & THE BARRIER :
Starting in Android 6.0, Google has introduced one of my favorite features in battery saving : DOZE (quick read about this Here), it help us to make apps go into a "shallow" hibernation state. Where it use less energy but retain it's functionality.

Thing is, this feature is NOT applicable for Google Play Services. Thus, it cant help you to save the battery from being eaten by Google Play Services. And this is not for no reason of course (read SIDE EFFECT/NOTE section bellow for further explanation)

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Yeah so I ended up wiping my device last night. I kind of figured I was going to have to do this anyway due to the way I first rooted my device and since I missed the step to unlock critical (evidently this unlocks the bootloader itself). This is why I didn't fully make use of the device and set things up all the way, I was waiting for a more stable TWRP and root.

I unrooted, flashed the stock boot image and then making sure the device booted up, I went ahead and booted to bootloader then ran the command to unlock critical which erased my device.

Also in doing so, I got the 8.1 ota prompt a massive 1100mb + download :eek:

This is why I root and install an ad blocker, because once my device was ready to use again, I Google searched the xda link I needed for magisk, while on xda I had a message pop up on chrome telling me my device, a pixel XL 2 was like 80% damaged because of recent trips to naughty websites (remember this is only the second site I've visited since I wiped my device), my back button was disabled after hitting it once and I couldn't do anything else but either download the crap it was pushing me to clean my device with or at least swipe away the tab. :mad:

I've noticed similar notices on xda for some reason. So yeah, that's why I block ads because of malicious coding.

At any rate, other then a scary message upon reboot due to magisk, I look to be back in action with the pixel with the latest update!

Still debating on fi.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah so I ended up wiping my device last night. I kind of figured I was going to have to do this anyway due to the way I first rooted my device and since I missed the step to unlock critical (evidently this unlocks the bootloader itself). This is why I didn't fully make use of the device and set things up all the way, I was waiting for a more stable TWRP and root.

I unrooted, flashed the stock boot image and then making sure the device booted up, I went ahead and booted to bootloader then ran the command to unlock critical which erased my device.

This is why I root and install an ad blocker, because once my device was ready to use again, I Google searched the xda link I needed for magisk, while on xda I had a message pop up on chrome telling me my device, a pixel XL 2 was like 80% damaged because of recent trips to naughty websites (remember this is only the second site I've visited since I wiped my device), my back button was disabled after hitting it once and I couldn't do anything else but either download the crap it was pushing me to clean my device with or at least swipe away the tab. :mad:

I've noticed similar notices on xda for some reason. So yeah, that's why I block ads because of malicious coding.

At any rate, other then a scary message upon reboot due to magisk, I look to be back in action with the pixel with the latest update!

Still debating on file.

Use Samsung Internet Beta from the play store. You can enable ad blocking and it's so much smoother and quicker than Chrome. While system wide ad blocking is nice, SIB is a good replacement for Chrome until you get rooted.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Still debating on file.
Some mornings I get on the Internet and I will read a post before the morning coffee has kicked in and well, this is me, this morning on your post...

614E3E42-C17E-4001-B375-50C1B9202CA5.jpeg

E486305A-B664-4DC5-BA20-DA58BD08F9CD.jpeg

2B80740F-40A3-435D-89CC-CE9922AD7077.jpeg

Reactions: Aneres11 and jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Can't tell if that's good or bad :confused:

Sometimes I do get a bit long-winded while posting lol :eek:
Nah, you’re fine! I’m just not up to speed on the finer details of rooting phones. I’m spending more and more time on XDA trying to educate myself but I still feel like a blue haired old lady being asked to set aside my old rotary phone for an iPhone.

Lol, my mother-in-law would kill me, though, if she ever reads this thread. She’s had a stroke so she can’t use her iPhone too well right now, but she’s in her mid 80’s and was pretty iOS literate up until the stroke. I actually have plenty of friends in their 70’s and 80’s who are very comfortable with technology. A lot of them were programmers in the heyday of mainframes and oversaw the rise of home computers.

Reactions: slitherjef

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Nah, you’re fine! I’m just not up to speed on the finer details of rooting phones. I’m spending more and more time on XDA trying to educate myself but I still feel like a blue haired old lady being asked to set aside my old rotary phone for an iPhone.

Lol, my mother-in-law would kill me, though, if she ever reads this thread. She’s had a stroke so she can’t use her iPhone too well right now, but she’s in her mid 80’s and was pretty iOS literate up until the stroke. I actually have plenty of friends in their 70’s and 80’s who are very comfortable with technology. A lot of them were programmers in the heyday of mainframes and oversaw the rise of home computers.

I think one of the reasons I make posts like above is so some who are new to the scene of rooting can see some of what actually goes on when you root and modify your device. Also sometimes you break something and it's actually your fault for tinkering with the things that aren't really broken in the first place.

Also gives me something to talk about :) kind of like tech blogging :confused:

Edit:

Forgot to mention seeing as I had everything set up for my pixel and ready to go, I asked if she wanted the similar for her device. She is now rooted as well :)

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think one of the reasons I make posts like above is so some who are new to the scene of rooting can see some of what actually goes on when you root and modify your device. Also sometimes you break something and it's actually your fault for tinkering with the things that aren't really broken in the first place.

Also gives me something to talk about :) kind of like tech blogging :confused:

Edit:

Forgot to mention seeing as I had everything set up for my pixel and ready to go, I asked if she wanted the similar for her device. She is now rooted as well :)
Keep on doing what you’re doing. Posts like yours are the reason peeps like me come here!

Reactions: slitherjef

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I bought a 2 XL at launch and returned it before my window was up. It was a hard decision but I convinced myself I didn't need this along with my iPhone X. The day I returned it I missed it instantly and I have a Panda/Storm Trooper 2 XL being delivered today. I got the deal for $75 off and a free home mini so that helped soften the blow a bit. I will not be returning it this time. :)

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I bought a 2 XL at launch and returned it before my window was up. It was a hard decision but I convinced myself I didn't need this along with my iPhone X. The day I returned it I missed it instantly and I have a Panda 2 XL being delivered today. I got the deal for $75 off and a free home mini so that helped soften the blow a bit. I will not be returning it this time. :)

I've owned both and returned the X. My Panda Pixel is here to stay!

EDIT: meant to also say, welcome back! :)

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I bought a 2 XL at launch and returned it before my window was up. It was a hard decision but I convinced myself I didn't need this along with my iPhone X. The day I returned it I missed it instantly and I have a Panda 2 XL being delivered today. I got the deal for $75 off and a free home mini so that helped soften the blow a bit. I will not be returning it this time. :)
I’m glad to know I’m not the only one. I don’t know why but I felt kind of bereft after the Pixel 2 had been gone awhile and it never quite felt right saying “that’s it, I’m done, I’ll try again on Pixel 3”. Oh I kept saying it but I just couldn’t quite convince myself. I thought my husband was done, too, but he seems torn about it, as well. Which shocks me because he like the bells and whistles of Samsung phones more. However, owning an X, maybe he wants the second phone to be something he can dissect better. His schedule is worse than ever and leaves him little time to play with phones but I think he still misses tinkering with them.

I probably will go for a Pixel 3, too, when it’s released and I can do a trade in. But I was rather fond of the unassuming but capable Pixel 2 and want one again.

Meanwhile I was shocked at my S8+ standby time. I’ve been sick for several days so I have only lugged my X around the few places I’ve had to go. The S8+ has been sitting on my nightstand off the charger since last Thursday and only just now ran down to 5%. I can’t even be sure I charged it that morning. Android never used to give me standby times like that. No way did I ever get that on S7 and HTC 10 on Marshmallow. Nougat is good. As I recall my Pixel 2 on Oreo was impressive, too.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I’m glad to know I’m not the only one. I don’t know why but I felt kind of bereft after the Pixel 2 had been gone awhile and it never quite felt right saying “that’s it, I’m done, I’ll try again on Pixel 3”. Oh I kept saying it but I just couldn’t quite convince myself. I thought my husband was done, too, but he seems torn about it, as well. Which shocks me because he like the bells and whistles of Samsung phones more. However, owning an X, maybe he wants the second phone to be something he can dissect better. His schedule is worse than ever and leaves him little time to play with phones but I think he still misses tinkering with them.

I probably will go for a Pixel 3, too, when it’s released and I can do a trade in. But I was rather fond of the unassuming but capable Pixel 2 and want one again.

Meanwhile I was shocked at my S8+ standby time. I’ve been sick for several days so I have only lugged my X around the few places I’ve had to go. The S8+ has been sitting on my nightstand off the charger since last Thursday and only just now ran down to 5%. I can’t even be sure I charged it that morning. Android never used to give me standby times like that. No way did I ever get that on S7 and HTC 10 on Marshmallow. Nougat is good. As I recall my Pixel 2 on Oreo was impressive, too.

Nougat and now Oreo have really gotten Android closer to iPhones in terms of standby times. I have an old Nexus 5X sitting around that I tinker with from time to time. That thing goes about 10 days on standby despite being over 2 years old (and I leave everything on like wifi/bluetooth, etc...).

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I've owned both and returned the X. My Panda Pixel is here to stay!

EDIT: meant to also say, welcome back! :)
You know what’s sad about my owning the X, which I absolutely love, by the way...I still have to keep my 7 Plus charged and at the ready. One, my battery dies fast if I want to play a few sessions of Animal Crossing Pocket Camp in a day.

Two, the pwm display does strain my eyes so I can’t read ebooks on it, which is something I’m used to doing with iPhones and my S8+ for that matter. I am good with everything else about the X, but the battery life isn’t what I hoped it would be and I have to turn the display up brighter than I’d prefer to tone that flicker down. Thank goodness I don’t get the migraines from it the other folks are getting. But my eyes do get strained reading text on it.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
You know what’s sad about my owning the X, which I absolutely love, by the way...I still have to keep my 7 Plus charged and at the ready. One, my battery dies fast if I want to play a few sessions of Animal Crossing Pocket Camp in a day.

Two, the pwm display does strain my eyes so I can’t read ebooks on it, which is something I’m used to doing with iPhones and my S8+ for that matter. I am good with everything else about the X, but the battery life isn’t what I hoped it would be and I have to turn the display up brighter than I’d prefer to tone that flicker down. Thank goodness I don’t get the migraines from it the other folks are getting. But my eyes do get strained reading text on it.

I quite enjoyed my time with the X but at the end of the day, iOS seems stale to me which it never has before (I had the 7+ at launch and loved it!). But after using the latest round of Nougat and Oreo, Android has caught up to iOS in terms of smoothness and UI interaction. That for me, coupled with the customization, has me firmly in android camp for the time being.

Sorry to hear about the eye straining. I couldn't get comfortable reading a large amount of text on the X either. I'm not sure if it's the size or the screen but my Pixel 2 XL is much more pleasant to look at for long amounts of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.