Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I was playing with the Pixel 2 XL at the Verizon store today. Compared to the Note 8 and iPhone X, the screen is not really good at all.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
AOD kinda sucks on it, tbh. Note 8 has the best version.

And it's something I wish Apple would use for the X.
Have to agree.....AOD has promise but needs to be more customizable. Stock Android can be bland sometimes.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Its not just the blue shift, the overall quality... its just bad...

iPhone X and Note 8 had about the same blue shift.
I don't see a blue shift on my Note 8. But I did notice a yellow hue on my iPhone X

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I don't see a blue shift on my Note 8. But I did notice a yellow hue on my iPhone X
Is true tone on? That seems to give a yellow hue. Im not a fan of true tone at all.
[doublepost=1512073317][/doublepost]
The blue shift on Pixel 2 XL was at such a brutally low angle.
I think I could live with it if the quality of the screen was good atleast.

It just shows how far behind LG and other OEMS are compared to Samsung.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Is true tone on? That seems to give a yellow hue. Im not a fan of true tone at all.
[doublepost=1512073317][/doublepost]
I think I could live with it if the quality of the screen was good atleast.
Yeah....it's on by default. Apple is pretty proud of true tone.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Hey, anyone with a panda Pixel XL - does the back feel like a brushed metal, as it does on the black? I've heard if feels plasticky.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah....it's on by default. Apple is pretty proud of true tone.

Seems ok on the 8+, but totally yellows out the X screen.

I think Apple over-calibrated true tone. True seems to really lay the yellow on thick. At some point, I think they're making too many assumptions about the way every human eye works. We all see varying amounts of yellow in what is often the same light.

True Tone tends to lean yellow because it’s calibrating the display to mirror the ambient light in the room. Considering most lights lean towards the warmer end of the spectrum, this is expected. At least in a move that’s not typical Apple, they let you turn it off.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
True Tone tends to lean yellow because it’s calibrating the display to mirror the ambient light in the room. Considering most lights lean towards the warmer end of the spectrum, this is expected. At least in a move that’s not typical Apple, they let you turn it off.
What if the ambient light in the room is not yellow but white or something different? Why does it make it yellow? I don't see how a yellow screen is expected tbh.
Then on my 8 plus it is not as bad as it was on the X when I had it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What if the ambient light in the room is not yellow but white or something different? Why does it make it yellow? I don't see how a yellow screen is expected tbh.
Then on my 8 plus it is not as bad as it was on the X when I had it.

Just speaking from experience. Public and most private lighting is in the 2-3000 kelvin range which is quite warm. You may think it’s white but it’s really not. We use 5K+ lights in our house as we prefer very bright white lights that are much cooler, and with True Tone on, it’s still warmer than with it off.

As far as differences between devices, probably has something to do with the different display types, not really sure.

I’m not a fan of True Tone myself but I can appreciate how some may like it.

Reactions: AustinIllini

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
For those of you who be had the same P2XL for a few weeks now, any micro scratches accumulated on the screen yet? Gorilla Glass 5 seems more susceptible to that.

And has anyone found a tempered glass screen protector they'd recommend yet?

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
For those of you who be had the same P2XL for a few weeks now, any micro scratches accumulated on the screen yet? Gorilla Glass 5 seems more susceptible to that.

And has anyone found a tempered glass screen protector they'd recommend yet?

No scratches on my screen. So far, so good.

I'm also interested in a good screen protector if anyone has any recommendations.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Its not just the blue shift, the overall quality... its just bad...

iPhone X and Note 8 had about the same blue shift.
They should have used a Samsung oled like the One Plus 5t. That display seems better than the one on the Pixel 2 XL. It was a really stupid decision to go with the first gen of any screen manufacturer for your flagship device.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
They should have used a Samsung oled like the One Plus 5t. That display seems better than the one on the Pixel 2 XL. It was a really stupid decision to go with the first gen of any screen manufacturer for your flagship device.
i'll do ya one better....they should have gone with the HTC version and skipped LG altogether.
The HTC u11+ would have killed as the Pixel 2 XL.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Did the Pixel 1 use Samsung? When I played around with the 1st gen Pixel the screen looked fine.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
i'll do ya one better....they should have gone with the HTC version and skipped LG altogether.
The HTC u11+ would have killed as the Pixel 2 XL.
I don’t know. The LG V30 seems good for some people. But you had one and didn’t much care for it, right?

I did kind of wonder how Google was going to manage to put out a phone this year when for months we didn’t hear many solid rumors about them locking down a manufacturer. I wasn’t even expecting a Pixel release this year. I was pleasantly surprised when it happened, but now deeply disappointed with how things have played out for most of us who gave it a good faith effort at a Pixel 2.

About the iPhone X displays, are you all aware of the thread about some MR forum members having to give up their iPhone X’s due to unusual eye strain on the mild end and debilitating migraines at the extreme end? I’m a migraine sufferer who can get a variant that’s so severe it resembles an extended grand mal seizure. A really bad one can render me unable to speak, read, write or even comprehend speech for hours to days. Fortunately, over time I’ve identified all of my triggers and rearranged my life to avoid them as much as humanly possible. There is one grocery store I can’t shop at anymore because they redid their lighting and I need be in there for only a few minutes and lose the ability to speak. Jeez! :confused::eek:

Yet at worse with the X, I get some eye strain and find it a bit difficult to focus on text. There’s a subtle flicker to the display. Pulse width modulation I think is what the more technology fluent members said it was and it causes people who have never before had a migraine to end up at the doctors office in great pain and suffering. Wow. Oddly enough my distance vision has noticeably improved since I got my X. I can now get around small rooms fine without my glasses. I’ve been like Mr. Magoo for over 20 years (super nearsighted cartoon character for you Millennials who never heard of him) so this is a rather odd development for me. Tech and the human body work in mysterious ways!

Some folks there on that thread say the LG displays don’t use pwm. So I suppose there’s that to be thankful for.

So what do you all think is going to happen with the Pixel2/XL line? It was released only in October/November so I wonder if it is still way too soon for Google to give up on it and leave the output as trouble prone as it is. I know from how it worked out for my family and IPhone 7 Plus that Apple hustled pretty fast to ensure the batches sold around Christmas didn’t have the issues that plagued the 7’s at release. None of our 7 Plus phones nor those of friends who bought way after the preorders had the trouble with hiss and whatever else people were reporting about their early release units.

Do you think Google is going to be able to tighten up quality control for the next batches and get LG to up their game on the display issues? Or has that ship sailed and they’re just going to focus on Pixel 3 now?

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.