Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
To those who upgraded from OG pixel XL..
Is the difference in the speed ,battery and camera very noticeable?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sand. Socal Desert.
Outside we have frost that looks just like your sand! It’s a beautiful shimmering illusion of sand when the rising or setting sun hits it just right.
[doublepost=1511873590][/doublepost]
Looks like the factory images are out, not OTA. I'll wait on the OTA.

Looks like maybe it fixes some of the mic issues people were having.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...el_2_xl_mic_issues_in_videos_fixed_in_81_dp2/
That’s great news. One of the people posting there surmised that the changes might make voices sound more muffled. I wonder, then, if it’s going to sound more like an iPhone. iPhones do sound muffled compared to the competition but they do tend to give very clean audio, at least to my ears.

I noticed a similar muffling and less immersive sound to my S8+ audio recording vs that of my S7 Edge and S7. While I didn’t like the difference, I wonder if there was a reason for the change and if the majority of customers prefer it the new way.
[doublepost=1511873897][/doublepost]
I don't own a Pixel 2 XL, wish I did!, but smartphone of 2017 for me, after a lot of thought.

With regards to OnePlus 5t after recent bombshell that they were spying on loyal customers, you have to ask if the Company is State sponsored. #avoid.
Whoa, whoa whoa I seem to have missed some juicy Android gossip. :eek: I wasn’t even sure OnePlus was Chinese.

Was Huawei also accused of spying, too? I know there was some cheap phone on Amazon that they had to yank due to spyware but I can’t remember who made it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Whoa, whoa whoa I seem to have missed some juicy Android gossip. :eek: I wasn’t even sure OnePlus was Chinese.

Was Huawei also accused of spying, too? I know there was some cheap phone on Amazon that they had to yank due to spyware but I can’t remember who made it.
Amazon stop selling the Blu phones for a while for spyware....

Amazon halts sale of Blu smartphones, says spying software still present
Blu smartphones are no longer being sold on Amazon. The preloaded software collects sensitive user data including full text messages, contact lists, call history with full telephone numbers, and unique device identifiers and sends it overseas without the user even knowing it. According to a Virginia-based security firm, Kryptowire, that spying software from Chinese company Shanghai Adups Technology is still present on certain Blu handsets. Amazon explained the reasoning for this harsh step in a statement:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Amazon stop selling the Blu phones for a while for spyware....

Amazon halts sale of Blu smartphones, says spying software still present
Oh jeez I forgot they collected full text messages. Thanks for the excerpts.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Does anyone know of another good app for viewing pics uploaded to the storage from a computer, other than Google photos?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Reactions: michael9891

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I don't know if it's any good, but I know Dropbox backs up photos

Thanks but you only get a small limit before you have to pay. I'm trying to find out if it's the Pixel hard drive or the default photo app that can't handle quick scrolling through lots of pics. Never had a problem on iOS or with the only other Android phone I've owned.
[doublepost=1511886929][/doublepost]
I think you should be able to use Google Backup and Sync. It can also backup photos on your computer but you should be able to just have it sync only from Google Drive to your computer.

https://www.blog.google/products/photos/introducing-backup-and-sync-google-photos-and-google-drive/

You must have posted at the same time as me. I'll have to try it out but not sure if it'll do what I want and make all the pic folders I have viewable offline on the pixel. And not a cloud storage service.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Pixel XL 2 number 2 along with my home mini are on their way. I missed the deal for the pixel by the weekend :(

Hopefully the phone works and my sister digs it. It should be a massive upgrade from her note 4 :)

I don't plan on modding her device, just a bootloader unlock as a just in case.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Pixel XL 2 number 2 along with my home mini are on their way. I missed the deal for the pixel by the weekend :(

Hopefully the phone works and my sister digs it. It should be a massive upgrade from her note 4 :)

I don't plan on modding her device, just a bootloader unlock as a just in case.

where are you located? buying now from US Google store gets you a free Google Home Mini and $100 Google store credit.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Has anyone tried the panorama photo modes? Had a quick play in the garden and can see it's potential with decent views.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Decided on the P2XL. Picked it up today at Best Buy. They gave me $100 in-store credit to match the Google Store offer. Don't care about the home mini.

Just finished setting it up. Absolutely love it so far. Screen has the blue shift, which I doubt I'll notice in a day or two. Everything else about the screen looks great so far.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Decided on the P2XL. Picked it up today at Best Buy. They gave me $100 in-store credit to match the Google Store offer. Don't care about the home mini.

Just finished setting it up. Absolutely love it so far. Screen has the blue shift, which I doubt I'll notice in a day or two. Everything else about the screen looks great so far.

I'm loving this phone, too. I'm on day 14 of owning it and still a happy Panda ;). I used an iPhone X exclusively from Wednesday - Monday while out of town for Thanksgiving and couldn't wait to get back to my Panda last night. Threw my sim back in and fell back in love. iPhone X off to Apple later this week.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Disclaimer: new phone honeymoon phase comment incoming!

Wow! Loving the P2XL so far. Size isn't noticeably larger than my OG Pixel XL, which was a concern going in. Battery life has already been fantastic and that's before the settling in period is over.

Having used the Pixel 2, I was already in love with the camera performance. Nice to have that camera back in my pocket. IMO, it's better than the X. I turned on the Pixel core chip functionality last night. Looking forward to seeing what happens with that over time.

I have zero complaints about the screen.

That's it for now.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Disclaimer: new phone honeymoon phase comment incoming!

Wow! Loving the P2XL so far. Size isn't noticeably larger than my OG Pixel XL, which was a concern going in. Battery life has already been fantastic and that's before the settling in period is over.

Having used the Pixel 2, I was already in love with the camera performance. Nice to have that camera back in my pocket. IMO, it's better than the X. I turned on the Pixel core chip functionality last night. Looking forward to seeing what happens with that over time.

I have zero complaints about the screen.

That's it for now.
What setting do you you have the screen set to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.