Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
My burn in is getting worse. Initiating a warranty replacement

Shame. :(

That said, i kinda hope that the XL2 turns out to be unusable like the Note 7.

Perhaps then after a massive recall Google might finally get the lesson that throwing beta software and hardware at the general public is not good business...

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
One month to the day. It's killing me because I love vanilla android but I'm not sure how many hardware compromises I'm willing to make.

I returned mine with Google saying it sounded faulty and while I originally wanted a replacement, I ended up asking for a refund.

But all I’ve done since then is watch videos and reviews about how good the camera is. So decided to buy another tonight. If I decide to keep this one, I just hope I don’t run into problems & regret it a few weeks or months down the line. It will probably be in the back of my mind that something will go wrong after all the negativity I’ve seen about the 2XL.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Yeah, I'm not pleased. The hardware blunder makes me look back at iPhone, but I'm not particularly fond of any iPhone offering right now. Notch is ugly, iPhone 8 gen is tired. I'm not enamored with skinned Android
This right here is exactly why I am using a Pixel 2. Fortunately it doesn't have the 2 XL screen issues. Hopefully Google will get this issue sorted out for you.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I returned my Pixel 2 XL a few days ago. The screen and Googles customer service issues just ruined it for me.
Who knows though i might end up getting it again in a month or so.....

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I returned my Pixel 2 XL a few days ago. The screen and Googles customer service issues just ruined it for me.
Who knows though i might end up getting it again in a month or so.....

What are you using as your daily driver currently? 8+? Any others your looking to try?

I'm really enjoying my Pixel 2 XL but am showing some slight image retention. My iPhone X pre-order arrives tomorrow. So I'm not sure the direction I'll go. I may be deciding between these 2, but then the 5T (likely not since camera doesn't seem much better than 5) and V30 (LG sucks with updates, even security patches) are kind of in the running. There's not much else out there right now I'd want as a daily driver.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I really wish Google had gone with HTC for the bigger phone this year. The HTC u11+ is a heck of a phone that won't make it to the states anytime soon.
I wish they would have as well, at one point I was leaning towards the 2 XL but I couldn't get over the fact that it was being made by LG. With the boot loop issues I read about on the LG GX products, that scared me enough to just get the HTC-made Pixel 2.

Reactions: jamezr

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I wish they would have as well, at one point I was leaning towards the 2 XL but I couldn't get over the fact that it was being made by LG. With the boot loop issues I read about on the LG GX products, that scared me enough to just get the HTC-made Pixel 2.
My phone is randomly rebooting now, too. Yuck.
[doublepost=1511215548][/doublepost]
These issues have basically forced me to sell my first born to get the iPhone X. As much as I LOVE stock Android I just don't know about all of the issues with these Pixel phones.
I'm debating getting the 8 plus as a holdover. I'm still super shy on the price (the 8 plus is already pushing it for me)

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
My phone is randomly rebooting now, too. Yuck.
[doublepost=1511215548][/doublepost]
I'm debating getting the 8 plus as a holdover. I'm still super shy on the price (the 8 plus is already pushing it for me)
That's definitely not good at all. From what I'm reading from the users on this site which obviously represent a very small overall sample size of Pixel 2 XL users, the device sounds like an amazing device but with poor choices which lead to compromises that the user needs to determine if it's worth it.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That's definitely not good at all. From what I'm reading from the users on this site which obviously represent a very small overall sample size of Pixel 2 XL users, the device sounds like an amazing device but with poor choices which lead to compromises that the user needs to determine if it's worth it.
And honestly, a bunch of us are former iPhone users. On iPhone, the hardware is ALWAYS stellar. Pixel can't fall short like this.

I'm just speaking out of frustration because Android is better than iOS in the current iteration but I still can't stand these hiccups on an $850 phone.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
And honestly, a bunch of us are former iPhone users. On iPhone, the hardware is ALWAYS stellar. Pixel can't fall short like this.

I'm just speaking out of frustration because Android is better than iOS in the current iteration but I still can't stand these hiccups on an $850 phone.
Completely agreed, and at $850 you should get much more refinement. On the comment of a lot being former iPhone users, that's why I frequent this section of the forums because the posts are coming from people who have used both and most are recent users of both. My biggest hurdle with the switch is messaging and I thought it wouldn't be a problem, but sadly it is for me.
[doublepost=1511217502][/doublepost]On another topic, does anybody know if there will be any Black Friday deals on the Google Fabric cases? I'd like to pick one up but figured I could at least wait another week.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
What are you using as your daily driver currently? 8+? Any others your looking to try?

I'm really enjoying my Pixel 2 XL but am showing some slight image retention. My iPhone X pre-order arrives tomorrow. So I'm not sure the direction I'll go. I may be deciding between these 2, but then the 5T (likely not since camera doesn't seem much better than 5) and V30 (LG sucks with updates, even security patches) are kind of in the running. There's not much else out there right now I'd want as a daily driver.
Right now I go back and forth between the Note 8 and 8 Plus and iPhone x....but the X is going back in a couple days. Its too small among other things for me to keep.
I might get the OPO 5t though.......all that would hold me back is the camera....

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Were there many problems with the original Pixels? Aside from availability!

Bluetooth was bad and the screen wasn't that good either. The smaller version also got a lot of battery life complaints. Then you have the speakers being a bit weak and the fact that the adapter from the 2 series has a better DAC than the original.

So, yeah, a few issues.

Reactions: michael9891

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Were there many problems with the original Pixels? Aside from availability!
Yes, in addition to what @Michael Goff mentioned, they also had microphone issues which affected me on two Pixels before I decided to switch back to an iPhone. I also had charging issues on my initial Pixel, but that was resolved by a replacement, just had the same microphone issue on both.

From: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/IW_gxTpXX3s

"The most common problem is a hairline crack in the solder connection on the audio codec. This will affect all three mics and may result in other issues with audio processing. This problem tends to be transient because of the nature of the crack. Based on temperature changes or the way you hold the phone, the connection may be temporarily restored and the problems may go away. This is especially frustrating as a user because, just when you think you've got it fixed, the problem randomly comes back. We believe this problem is occurring << 1% of phones and often happens after a few months of use (it could be triggered by dropping the phone that may not cause any visible external damage)."

Reactions: michael9891
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.