Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
Returned my second Pixel 2 XL because of burn in. Very disappointed. I'm picking up a Note 8 today and very apprehensive of Samsung. TMo+Samsung's $330 off seem to be a good deal and I need a new phone fast.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I have to say this, but I know most of the people here just won't agree with this statement. But the Pixel 2 XL should be called the Nexus 8P and sold for $599.

I won't go into a long rant here, but the Nexus line was flagship spec'd for it's day, but maybe didn't have the best display or the best camera, but everything else always matched spec for spec compared to the highest end Samsung Galaxy phone or newest HTC flagship for that year. But Google sold them at an affordable cheaper price range.

The Nexus 6P for it's day selling brand new for $499 was a super bargain deal, when the brand new Galaxy Note 5 was $700+, and spec for spec they were damn similar. And the 6P was very well built, high end fell and flagship hardware, and had a Samsung display and great camera.

But then Google changes the name to Pixel, and BAM the price shoots up, but the Pixel is still a Nexus. It's not as high end as the Note 8, and I find the new HTC U11+ a better phone, with the larger battery, and IP68 rating, etc...

Reactions: 5105973 and deany

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I honestly have a hard time believing that any more than a fraction of a percent of those shipments went out without an OS. The screen fiasco is one thing. But some of these other Pixel 2-related headlines are starting to just seem like hit jobs.

But still -- how the heck do you ship a phone without an OS. o_O

Reactions: jamezr

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
WT*, excuse my French, heads must roll. I'm starting to think something sinister happened here, hope not.

I honestly have a hard time believing that any more than a fraction of a percent of those shipments went out without an OS. The screen fiasco is one thing. But some of these other Pixel 2-related headlines are starting to just seem like hit jobs.

But still -- how the heck do you ship a phone without an OS. o_O

That’s really the bigger issue. First we have bad screens, then we have people reporting getting ones that have the “failed QA” sticker on them, and now no OS. If this is Google getting serious with phones, I don’t know what to say.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
That’s really the bigger issue. First we have bad screens, then we have people reporting getting ones that have the “failed QA” sticker on them, and now no OS. If this is Google getting serious with phones, I don’t know what to say.

Totally agree, things do not add up.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I have to say this, but I know most of the people here just won't agree with this statement. But the Pixel 2 XL should be called the Nexus 8P and sold for $599.

I won't go into a long rant here, but the Nexus line was flagship spec'd for it's day, but maybe didn't have the best display or the best camera, but everything else always matched spec for spec compared to the highest end Samsung Galaxy phone or newest HTC flagship for that year. But Google sold them at an affordable cheaper price range.

The Nexus 6P for it's day selling brand new for $499 was a super bargain deal, when the brand new Galaxy Note 5 was $700+, and spec for spec they were damn similar. And the 6P was very well built, high end fell and flagship hardware, and had a Samsung display and great camera.

But then Google changes the name to Pixel, and BAM the price shoots up, but the Pixel is still a Nexus. It's not as high end as the Note 8, and I find the new HTC U11+ a better phone, with the larger battery, and IP68 rating, etc...

I do agree on the price cut!

I mean I know what Google is doing, they are tired of Android being called a cheap alternative against iPhone, but this pricing war is just ridiculous.

I've said it before these pixel phones would benefit across the board by at least a 100$ price cut, even more.

With that being said, I know what I was ordering and paying for. I had a chance to back down and cancel, as well as other people :)

And still have an option to return.

I ordered the phone because I wanted a semi clean Android experience, and root (I hope) and I skipped the first gen pixel.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
He should have ordered it with Win10M, best OS out there. >>
Hmm..... I'll go with

853331d0230c5ff135290745027e48f0.jpg

Reactions: deany and v0lume4

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
After much deliberation, I cancelled my Pixel 2 XL Black & White pre-order. It was set to ship in just 11 days. Definitely a little bummed, I was really stoked to get a new device. Despite the issues that some have had, I've also seen some raving reviews of the phone.

While I am able to afford the device, I decided that the $1000 (phone + device protection + taxes) would go to better use towards the travel I have planned for early 2018. My ol' bucket o' bolts car has a few repairs that it needs before I put 10,000+ miles on it. Don't want to find myself stranded on the side of the road.

My Nexus 6P, aside from the battery, still has life left in it and in many regards serves me just as well as the Pixel 2 XL would have (again -- this is disregarding the battery which is garbage). The display issues that many have had certainly haven't helped, though that's not solely my reasoning in the cancellation.

Ah, well. This time next year, we'll have the Pixel 3. I bet that phone is going to knock it out of the park just like the Pixel 2/XL has. I hope you happy buyers are LOVING your phones. Cheers to ya. :)
[doublepost=1509672970][/doublepost]I guess this is my life now. LOL

Anker 20000mAh Portable Charger
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-20000m...&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=anker+power+bank&psc=1
31MnmAEjDaL.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Great, more irrelevant bezel talk has moved into this thread.

Moving on..

@GrumpyMom you need an avatar, being busy and away from time to time is no excuse, I excel at being off Macrumors for months at a time, RL happens, and they even let us mods have lives away from the site, so , so can you .

Agreed on the idea of waiting things out, I have the minor hiss coming into my earpiece now, but I have a note in my google record, and have stated that I am unhappy with the unstable attitude with regards to some games, and the audio. If 8.1 can’t resolve those issues, I made a point that I intend to return the device as a faulty one, and will enact MN Consumer law if needed.

The call went well overall, and I personally have faith in google. This last call went far better than my chat experience when I brought up the reboot issue my phone had.

Looking forward to getting my X this Friday too, and plan on doing some extensive shooting between that, the Pixel, and my iPhone 7. May even throw in a few 5s and iPhone 4 shots, just to show how far we have come ;) .
I didn’t want people to think I was ignoring them on some other topics I was on so I was going for “minimalist”. I put up an AIBO because I used to be a hobbyist owner and was excited to hear Sony may be reviving them. I do get to read almost every day, but I’m usually too exhausted to post much the past few days.

I’m sorry your Pixel has another issue. This has not been the smoothest rollout for Google. The concepts they presented are amazing. Execution needs work. I hope 2018 and third time is a charm for them.

I had canceled my Panda preorder and that makes me a little sad. Sad Panda. The photos and videos I’m seeing from other Pixels makes me sad that my first experience with one was a defective one. I do not see that Homer Simpson yellow tint in low light to too many pictures people post around the Internet. But some, enough to think it’s another “batch defect” of some sort.

I haven’t boxed mine up just yet because I want to compare it to my husband’s iPhone X that we hope is being delivered today. This is the first time since iPhone 4s was released that we didn’t get new iPhones together. I skipped 4s and 5. So I’m going to drive hubby bonkers looking over his shoulder and peeking and peering and poking at the new phone. :D The insides of it that ifixit showed are so elegant. Enjoy your new X!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.