Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Unused RAM is wasted RAM, btw.

That isn't always the case, whenever ram is low, ALL devices start to slow down (including my MBP) as some information gets stored on the primary storage or the ram contents are getting swapped out.

With that being said, I think the vast majority of users don't use each app equally, but rather use a few apps much more than others. So in those cases where you use an app that you don't use much, it's not good when it's just occupying your ram, as your ram is now filling up causing slow downs. Having an app in RAM only beneficial if you want to start using it again. The reality is, most people have stuff in RAM that they aren't actually making use of, so it just slows things down when that RAM fills and they need it for something more important.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Speaker phone has been good for me. I haven’t observed the weird clicking sounds some have reported. Speaker phone is good and clear. As for unlocking on desk/table, I tend to utilize “Hey Google” quite a bit for simple tasks rather than picking the phone up. Otherwise, I just pick it up and use the FPS. In looking at the smart unlock options, there is a Face Detection option, but I have no interest in face detection on the Pixel or the iPhone X. Not yet anyway.
Lol, must be nice to still have Smart Lock

Thanks to the Exchange Server security on my work email, Smart Lock had been disabled

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That isn't always the case, whenever ram is low, ALL devices start to slow down (including my MBP) as some information gets stored on the primary storage or the ram contents are getting swapped out.

With that being said, I think the vast majority of users don't use each app equally, but rather use a few apps much more than others. So in those cases where you use an app that you don't use much, it's not good when it's just occupying your ram, as your ram is now filling up causing slow downs. Having an app in RAM only beneficial if you want to start using it again. The reality is, most people have stuff in RAM that they aren't actually making use of, so it just slows things down when that RAM fills and they need it for something more important.

That comes with having not enough RAM. I just know I’d rather not have RAM sitting there unused if it can be used to make the system smoother.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Yeah I don’t see how it’s any worse than cat pee yellow displays on previous generations of iPhones. That issue was pretty widespread and common but other than a lot of complaints on the forum, from what I recall the media took it in stride. Kind of the same with this year’s Samsung pink screens. Though it helps Samsung could fix the pink, more or less, without recalls or massive returns.

I thought it was pretty much understood and accepted among Android owners, anyway, that OLED can be temperamental. I guess everyone is worried that LG can’t deliver any good screens...ever, not even for returns and exchanges.

I can see the point Vlad is trying to make since this is early days for Google. Because they’re competing against established smart phone icons like Apple and Samsung, they have to be able to hit the ground running with unimpeachable quality from the get go. But I think he’s underestimating the level to which Apple and Samsung are still capable of effing up a new release. I think the manufacturers know full well the next -gate is just around the corner for any of them. They don’t get too smug about it anymore. But the commentators are a different story and make their money playing one company off against another.

I hope most sincerely the iPhone X release goes beautifully and buries all the naysaying, including mine. After all, I’ll be up at an ungodly hour preordering this for my husband, or attempting to. But realistically, I am already planning to take a break from the IPhone part of the forums for awhile as inevitably someone discovers something is not working perfectly and “at $999 and above I deserve perfection”. No, they deserve fast, responsive, polite customer service to make it right for the consumer. Perfection is not of this earth unless we are talking about my right pinkie toe. It’s cute. :p

My 7 Plus still looks a little yellow after I've spent all day on my V30. I do think Apple used to get a pass on a lot of stuff they shouldn't and they still do on certain things.

I think LG probably had one seriously bad batch or.... Do they only have one plant? Do they have more than one site making their OLED panels? If there is more than one, maybe we're seeing huge differences due to that?

Oh yes, I'm planning to read the iPhone forums simply for humor sake. Once people start getting the X, I'm sure there will be another -gate tossed around.

I hope next years Pixel line comes to T-Mobile and iPhone X prices are not the new normal for Apple. I'd like my goal next year to be to have a Pixel and possibly an OLED iPhone model.

Reactions: 5105973

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
That comes with having not enough RAM. I just know I’d rather not have RAM sitting there unused if it can be used to make the system smoother.

If your ram is full (because empty ram is wasted ram, according to you), then you inherently don't have enough ram as it's full, no matter how much ram you have...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Did someone say we needed more RAM?

27D7BD72-7884-4156-9888-A4754DF29FD0.jpeg

He’s looking so chill. I wish I were that relaxed. I’ve been dealing with stuff all day. But now I’m hyper for a good reason: I got my Pixel 2’s shipping notice! :D It should be here the day after tomorrow. My husband’s Pixel 2XL is supposed to be here tomorrow.

And my cheap $5 case for my Pixel 2 arrives tonight.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I would still tell anyone the best Android phone of 2017 is the Pixel 2 XL

That run stock Android which in my opinion is the best Android OS the smoothest long-term it has amazing battery life it's waterproof it will go get updates first and fastest so what's not to like about it you have the screen issues but I'm not sure how big of a problem that truly is in the real world?

Reactions: slitherjef

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If your ram is full (because empty ram is wasted ram, according to you), then you inherently don't have enough ram as it's full, no matter how much ram you have...

No, a good system should be able to quickly take that RAM when needed. But there’s still an amount that is needed for a desktop OS as a minimum. And that amount is going up. Same with a mobile OS as they gain features.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
Cancelled my Pixel 2 XL 128GB. It's been dead everytime in the VZW store here in Santa Barbara. While I place most importance on timely updates and rom customization, there are too many negatives for the price, and I am realizing I want smaller for texting and driving ;-) Kidding with the last part, but with the Galaxy S8 ~$500 now, Essential $500, (half storage though on S8) but this is no longer worth ~ 2x to me. I shall buy a used S8 and wait till next year as I just broke my 6p, first broken phone since my Qualcomm QCP 2760:
Qualcomm-QCP-2760-Cellular-phone-CDMA-AMPS-bar.jpg

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I would still tell anyone the best Android phone of 2017 is the Pixel 2 XL

That run stock Android which in my opinion is the best Android OS the smoothest long-term it has amazing battery life it's waterproof it will go get updates first and fastest so what's not to like about it you have the screen issues but I'm not sure how big of a problem that truly is in the real world?
I would have to disagree, i think screen quality is important in todays phones, after all its how we interact with our devices. I would say the best Android phone is the Note 8. It simply does everything well. It might not have the best camera, or the smoothest OS experience but there is nothing it does badly in either.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Interesting... calling out MKBHDs iffy research and false information:

https://plus.google.com/+supercurioFrancoisSimond/posts/8feW5GMgGgt

Yeah I used to be a big Marquess fan, but he seems to just gloss over specific details in his reviews, and you don't really get the true one week test, or 30 days usage real world reviews I prefer. Plus he's a big time stock Android fan, everything else is below him. Which I also agree, that stock Android is typically the best as well.

Like I said before, he's a big time YouTube star with over 5 million subscribers, he watches the counts live sometimes, really into the fame part of it more than before. He's made millions$ from being that big of a star. Good for him, he earned it. But I feel he's changed, and not the true every day Joe doing tech reviews. He comes off a little disconnected from the average dude this year, He's a big money guy,m famous person, and I feel it has gone to his head and changed him. He's not a bragger or dick about it, no, but he's different than years before.

And Franco here, that dude is a real XDA superstar, a true Android developer and smart guy. I listen to him over Marquess any day of the week.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I agree if the choice was between the LG panel or an LCD. If between Samsung AMOLED or LCD I'd take the Samsung panel every time.

Well, yeah. But apparently Samsung wasn’t an option. Probably because Apple can throw more money at this problem than Google likely paid for all of the Pixel 2 XL if they wanted.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I’m going to quietly sit this here:

The XL would have been better with an LCD screen.
I would not so quietly say the 2 XL would be better with a Samsung AMOLED display....
[doublepost=1508900411][/doublepost]No Pixel 2 XL for me today!

OnTrac says they delivered my phone. But no phone was delivered. I think the driver stole it.
I worked from home today because I was expecting my 2XL. My desk faces my front side walk. I can see anyone who comes to the front door through my front window.

I got an delivered email from Google but no package. After talking with OnTrac customer support...they are trying to contact the driver to find out what happened. But they said the GPS data on the truck shows it was at my house.
But no package. I checked my neighbors on both sides of me and nothing.

Google is sending out another Black 2XL 64.....

So disappointed in Google for using OnTrac.....I think the driver stole the phone. No other explanation is possible.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I would not so quietly say the 2 XL would be better with a Samsung AMOLED display....

OnTrac says they delivered my phone. But no phone was delivered. I think the driver stole it.
I worked from home today because I was expecting my 2XL. My desk faces my front side walk. I can see anyone who comes to the front door through my front window.

I got an delivered email from Google but no package. After talking with OnTrac customer support...they are trying to contact the driver to find out what happened. But they said the GPS data on the truck shows it was at my house.

So disappointed in Google for using OnTrac.....I think the driver stole the phone. No other explanation is possible.

Well, yeah, but mine would have actually been possible. Apple is seemingly buying most of Samsung’s OLED. Think Google can outbid Apple?

Reactions: jamezr

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada

Maybe the driver left it at the door and one of the neighbors took it? And during a bathroom break? Dunno.

Do the drivers typically know the contents of these boxes?
[doublepost=1508902169][/doublepost]
I’m going to quietly sit this here:

The XL would have been better with an LCD screen.
Yeah. OLED used to be a selling point for me but honestly... too many downsides related to it being a less mature technology. It's just hard to screw up LCD these days.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Oh no, so sorry to hear that. I’ve never heard of On Trac. The really horrible one I get stuck with sometimes is Lazer or Laser. We always groan when we find out something was shipped via them.

Well sucks to be Google but what were they thinking sending out these phones without requiring a signature? I live in a place where it would be okay to leave stuff on my front porch because it can’t easily be seen unless you mean to trespass. But the delivery people often drop stuff outside my garage door for everyone to see. It’s worse if the item is food because then it’s under direct hot sunlight.:rolleyes: Sometimes they leave things on a bench in my yard or shove it in the bushes. It’s like treasure hunting sometimes. So I usually insist on a signature required option when there is the opportunity to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.