Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
This is good news to me as I placed an order for two Pixel 2’s (non-XL) in “Just Black” last night but I wasn’t sure if I’d prefer the black or white better. Now I’m even happier with my decision, thanks!

I'll second that. Black is gorgeous in person and feels amazing in the hand. The feel of it makes any loss of wireless charging easier to swallow for me.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Annnnnd I have burn in! Wow. SO frustrating.

On the left is my Note 8, about 7 weeks old. On the right is my Pixel XL 2 128GB, all of 3 days old. Focus on the bottom of the respective screens, where the nav buttons would be.

Perhaps it's ghosting but that doesn't make it any better.

IMG_0130_zpsgfd5re7f.jpg

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

On the left is my Note 8, about 7 weeks old. On the right is my Pixel XL 2 128GB, all of 3 days old. Focus on the bottom of the respective screens, where the nav buttons would be.

IMG_0130_zpsgfd5re7f.jpg
No burn in or ghosting on my V30. That's crazy that it happened that fast! Can you return or exchange it?

Reactions: 5105973

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Google needs to recall the Pixel 2 XL. No way around it. For $1000 this is completely unacceptable. This phone’s display should compare favourably to Note 8 and iPhone X and it doesn’t.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

IMG_0130_zpsgfd5re7f.jpg
Wow, that sucks. That has always been a concern of mine in getting AMOLED phones, luckily I haven't had to deal with that yet.

At least it you shouldn't have problems exchanging it, as long as it's in stock.

Reactions: 5105973

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
No burn in or ghosting on my V30. That's crazy that it happened that fast! Can you return or exchange it?

Oh yeah. 14 day return period. I'm not going to exchange. I'll wait a few weeks to see where this goes. I definitely want the phone again though. It's awesome.
[doublepost=1508736101][/doublepost]
Google needs to recall the Pixel 2 XL. No way around it. For $1000 this is completely unacceptable. This phone’s display should compare favourably to Note 8 and iPhone X and it doesn’t.

We'll see. It could be isolated to a specific batch.
[doublepost=1508736147][/doublepost]
Wow, that sucks. That has always been a concern of mine in getting AMOLED phones, luckily I haven't had to deal with that yet.

At least it you shouldn't have problems exchanging it, as long as it's in stock.

This really shouldn't be an issue anymore. AMOLED tech has improved greatly.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
https://android.gadgethacks.com/new...ling-up-now-its-affecting-pixel-2-xl-0180669/

*sigh*

LG still hasn't come up with a quality display for mobile in awhile. Not since the G2 have I been impressed. Image retention happens on my current phones which are LCD, so I put plain black wallpaper and anything with white or black backgrounds. The news of burn-in on the Pixel 2 XL as POLED is worrisome.

The iPhone X is the one to get.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
This really shouldn't be an issue anymore. AMOLED tech has improved greatly.

Yeah, I know it shouldn't and I have yet to experience it on any of my Samsung phones, but everytime I look at a display model and see that burn in, it does worry me a little, especially with something like stock Android and the nav buttons.

Google should really do something like Samsung does in hiding the nav buttons when possible, making them hollow instead of solid, and constantly changing the color of the status bar and icons to help mitigate the chances for burn in.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017

Image retention/ghosting on LCD can come and go. Burn-in won't.

I also don't like LG's minor lightbleed if brightness is max. We will see if Apple has its very own Burngate next month. Samsung can sabotage a batch.

That's why better to get it on launch to SELL, then wait for later shipments once the issues are corrected to keep. Always comes with flaws. My Sony PSP 1001 that was made in Japan had dead and stuck pixels.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
This is my final post, just to say I ordered the Pixel 2 XL, sadly I have a 3 month wait before it is estimated to be delivered. Oh well.

Thanks for the years of discussion & banter, sometimes infuriation, oftentimes laughter, but it is finally time to mosey on and re-invest in life. Take care of yourselves.

Slán Abhaile to all. MRU
man, I had been wondering what happened, haven't seen your posts in a while.

Probably won't see this as it's been a couple weeks, but good luck, going to miss all those awesome photos you've posted as well as your unique perspective. Good luck and hope all is well.

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

IMG_0130_zpsgfd5re7f.jpg

Damn. Sorry to hear that.

I had burn-in recently with my Samsung S8 due to Google Maps, but that was after at least 4 months and Samsung replaced the entire screen under warranty.

Burn-in after such a short amount of time? LG have really messed this up.

Reactions: deany

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I was just listening to This Week In Google and they said there is a custom chip in the Pixel that Google didn't even announced at the reveal event that is strictly for photography and out of the box it is not even active yet, it will be ready in a few months with an update. This is very cool if true, that means the camera will be even better very soon

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I was all for buying the XL in the UK but the exclusivity with Carphone Warehouse and locked boot loader has me waiting for iPhone X.
I really wish Google had a tighter grip in all of this.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
From my experience.. LG's POLED tech has a long history of screen burn issues and inconsistent quality to put it lightly.. that is the reason the XL2 was never on my radar.

It is a shame LG haven't sorted it out yet.. although the XL2 looks the part otherwise.

I am glad my instincts were proven correct but I do feel for all the XL2 owners.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Been hovering over the ‘Cancel’ button on my Pixel 2 XL order all morning—supposed to ship out today.

This many reported issues with the display and I shouldn’t even be hesitating but I sooo want a new phone to play with....:(

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
People not liking the brightness and colours of the display is all down to personal preference. But screen burn issues after such a short time is a little worrying. I certainly wouldn't want the hassle of exchanging phones because of it.

I hope that this might just be a bad batch. Something to keep an on, to see just how many people have issues.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

IMG_0130_zpsgfd5re7f.jpg

That’s terrible luck.

Those bezels do look chunky though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.