Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
If Face ID works well, FPS is going to go bye bye industry-wide.

In other news, my final take on Pixel XL 2 display: it's good. Very good. Anyone who is basing their opinion on YouTube videos, I'm not interested in their opinions.

This phone is a gigantic home run.
Not that I disagree or agree with you. However. If touch Id is under the screen I can't possibly see how face Id is better. You have to touch the screen anyway to use the phone. Touch id embedded in the screen means no notch which means the ultimate goal of all bezel less phone.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Did you know that the cloud patterns on that wallpaper are also in real time? A few weeks ago, I could see one of the hurricanes in the Caribbean. Wild!
Wait...really?!
[doublepost=1508643249][/doublepost]
Not that I disagree or agree with you. However. If touch Id is under the screen I can't possibly see how face Id is better. You have to touch the screen anyway to use the phone. Touch id embedded in the screen means no notch which means the ultimate goal of all bezel less phone.
I'm inclined to agree. FaceID is cool, but it's not essential if you have touchID. FaceID is an admission that Apple failed to get touchID under the screen. There's no way they prefer the notch over touchID under the screen.

And before someone says something like "two factor", if you have your fingerprint, you honestly probably have your face. That's not the kind of two factor that matters to me.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Does anyone know how the 'Now playing" feature works?
With most streaming services boasting 40M tracks, does the Pixel 2 make a connection with say the Shazam server? Or is there a limited track database stored on the device?
thanks

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
If Face ID works well, FPS is going to go bye bye industry-wide.

In other news, my final take on Pixel XL 2 display: it's good. Very good. Anyone who is basing their opinion on YouTube videos, I'm not interested in their opinions.

This phone is a gigantic home run.

Its completely understandable for someone who owns the device to defend their purchase, I would probably do the same. However I have seen the device in person and read enough reviews to form a solid opinion on the screen and i'm very sorry but its not great, not when you are used to the AMOLED in the S8. The graininess and off axis colour shift should not exist in a phone of that price point. Then again I guess Samsung has spoiled me with the best displays on the market for the past few years.

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Its completely understandable for someone who owns the device to defend their purchase, I would probably do the same. However I have seen the device in person and read enough reviews to form a solid opinion on the screen and i'm very sorry but its not great, not when you are used to the AMOLED in the S8. The graininess and off axis colour shift should not exist in a phone of that price point.

I don't need to defend my purchase. My money is green and mine to spend as I see fit.

No, you don't have credibility to form an opinion over someone that actually owns the device. That's completely silly.
[doublepost=1508645158][/doublepost]

Headphone jack is better than USB C.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I don't need to defend my purchase. My money is green and mine to spend as I see fit.

No, you don't have credibility to form an opinion over someone that actually owns the device. That's completely silly.
I have seen the device in person and compared it directly with my S8. I have as much credibility as you do, im sorry if you don't like it but the screen is not great. Enjoy your phone, its a cracking device in almost every other area and if you are happy with the screen then that's awesome for you :)

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Reactions: deany

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Apparently it’s stored locally on the device. Here’s an article that explains it better than I can:
https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/19/how-googles-pixel-2-now-playing-song-identification-works/

Thanks! I guess Google will increase the approx 15K tracks as time goes by. Tracks vary from country to country this looks like the UK list http://quinny898.co.uk/resources/pixel-songs/ and it will change depending on GPM most popular.
One drawback for me personally is I have a capped home data allowance so at 500MB per week, thays 2GB a month.

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I have seen the device in person and compared it directly with my S8. I have as much credibility as you do, im sorry if you don't like it but the screen is not great. Enjoy your phone, its a cracking device in almost every other area and if you are happy with the screen then that's awesome for you :)

Oh. You went to a store.

Well I guess that's just Yahtzee then.

Reactions: FFR

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Has this been posted yet? Android Authority have analysed the display accuracy and brightness. Max brightness of the 2XL is 483 Nits. Absolute low brightness is 4 nits

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-2-xl-display-issue-808769/

Great article thanks.
I dont think this would be an issue for me personally.
However resale value may suffer with potential buyers put off. This may be a factor on whether I press the button, (again) in the future.....don't want to sound negative, just thinking ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Its completely understandable for someone who owns the device to defend their purchase, I would probably do the same. However I have seen the device in person and read enough reviews to form a solid opinion on the screen and i'm very sorry but its not great, not when you are used to the AMOLED in the S8. The graininess and off axis colour shift should not exist in a phone of that price point. Then again I guess Samsung has spoiled me with the best displays on the market for the past few years.
My S8+ and my husband’s have an off axis color shift. So do our 2016 Samsungs. It’s really obvious on my S7 Edge. Grain so far has shown up only in my husband’s first Note 7.

The thing about the Pixel 2 XL displays is some of them have a very narrow viewing angle before they start to shift. But only some of them do. Some people report getting ones that offer more latitude before shifting. Unfortunately it’s a lottery this year. I’m willing to play it but don’t blame those who don’t. Returns are always a hassle. And Google really needs to feel the heat on this so they make a firmer effort to get better display hardware.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I'm unable to play movies I've purchased through Vudu or Fandango NOW. For Vudu I get device not supported or license not found. The error on Fandango NOW is generic.

Anyone else having issues?

I'm hoping it's just an issue of the app needing to be updated and not something wrong with my phone.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Oh I love so much about my 7 Plus, but phone call quality is not one of the things I even like. It’s just terrible, even on Qualcomm modem. There’s the video I linked to and talk about a few posts back that might explain why it’s not as good as that of an Android phone. I’m not sure that’s the real reason, it is something I need to educate myself on more to make sure I understand what I heard properly. You seem more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than I am so maybe you can check on it. It’s about all the antennas and MIMO. Lol, I don’t know what all that stuff is, and I used to work for a telco, but that was back when we wore pagers and had to keep our cell phones turned off until we needed to make a call or the battery would die.

The major problem is that they cripple the Qualcomm to match Intel. So even though it's capable of great things, we'll never get to experience it because then the models would vastly different. Unfortunately Apple always turns the better component into a gimp in their attempt to make them equal to the inferior component.

Like TSMC VS Samsung chip issue with battery life on the 6s.

The screen discrepancies.

The fact that people discovered that the 256GB had better read/write than the 128/32. The 32 was the worst off.

Now add Intel VS Qualcomm.

It's getting old playing the lottery with so many different components!

On the Pixel, I do wonder if a software update would make the screen more vibrant? It would appear the panel is capable, so I'd assume this isn't impossible. My concerns on the Pixel are not having the features I want and the way it bent so easily in reviews.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'm unable to play movies I've purchased through Vudu or Fandango NOW. For Vudu I get device not supported or license not found. The error on Fandango NOW is generic.

Anyone else having issues?

I'm hoping it's just an issue of the app needing to be updated and not something wrong with my phone.

Make sure you are reporting this to the developers. A lot of apps got updated on my V30 recently. I'm assuming that once they get messages, they'll look into it.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
My S8+ and my husband’s have an off axis color shift. So do our 2016 Samsungs. It’s really obvious on my S7 Edge. Grain so far has shown up only in my husband’s first Note 7.

The thing about the Pixel 2 XL displays is some of them have a very narrow viewing angle before they start to shift. But only some of them do. Some people report getting ones that offer more latitude before shifting. Unfortunately it’s a lottery this year. I’m willing to play it but don’t blame those who don’t. Returns are always a hassle. And Google really needs to feel the heat on this so they make a firmer effort to get better display hardware.
All OLED screens have off axis colour shifts to some degree but the Pixel 2 XL I saw in person was alot worse then my S8+. I would say you are right, its a total lottery on whether you will get a passable screen and thats not acceptable on a phone worth that much. If people are prepared to take the risk or have gotten a decent panel straight up then that is awesome news for them, I hope they enjoy what I think is a fantastic phone other then the obvious quality control issues with the screen. Im just disappointed because I was really pumped about this phone and that camera is amazing!

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Don’t know how reliable this is but seems this particular unit of iPhone X has similar tint but less severe.

PynJVFs_d.jpg

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Don’t know how reliable this is but seems this particular unit of iPhone X has similar tint but less severe.

PynJVFs_d.jpg
Ooh. I can't wait to read the 50 billion threads on this!

I'm joking but seriously, people are paying a pretty penny for this so any perceived issues will be pounced on mercilessly.

People will be a lot less forgiving on this device than the Pixel/V30/etc.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Don't get me wrong i'm a fan of what Google and Android are doing, I want them to make great products and that camera alone in the Pixel 2 is amazing but I just cant accept the screen quality. Its not good enough for a phone in that price range. The off axis colour shifts and graininess would drive me crazy. I like to switch between Samsung and pure Android devices to keep things fresh so its disappointing. I think the S9 will have the same form factor, upgraded camera, Samsung experience 8.5 and the FPS under the screen. If they do that I think it will be an awesome device.
I agree with you on the bolded above. My disappointment with Samsung is in the FPS placement and form factors. They keep making phones longer and more narrow and the FPS location compounds the issue. If they can put the FPS under the glass for the S9 that would be an awesome phone!
[doublepost=1508677431][/doublepost]
Wait...really?!
[doublepost=1508643249][/doublepost]
I'm inclined to agree. FaceID is cool, but it's not essential if you have touchID. FaceID is an admission that Apple failed to get touchID under the screen. There's no way they prefer the notch over touchID under the screen.

And before someone says something like "two factor", if you have your fingerprint, you honestly probably have your face. That's not the kind of two factor that matters to me.
My thoughts exactly! Apple made compromises with the FPS just like Samsung.....because they could not get the technology to work to get the FPS under the display.

Reactions: AustinIllini

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I definitely think Face ID will be amazing. Apple has so much riding on it. I mean, the notch, for goodness sake.
I am Meh, on the so called notch.

For me, it is a brilliant way to push the top row notifications / device status off of the usable rectangle space of the screen and up into their own region. I actually dislike the constant top header on most Android and iOS devices, because it takes away screen real estate from the application I am wanting to use. I see more of an eyesore having 1 or 2 blank areas on my screen that do absolutely nothing in most cases.

3EDEE384-7323-4EAD-80FE-33FDC1AD51DB.jpeg A666B92A-4132-4317-8790-013498ACDEB3.jpeg

I understand how people could personally dislike the notch, it is similar to how I dislike the menu bar on MacOS, and the notification / status bar on Android / iOS. At least with the notch, it kinda pushes status / notifications out of the way a little.

Is there a sound clip that accompanies them as it does on iPhone?
No Audio as of yet, which actually takes away most of the point of having a Live Photo. A small clip to relive that section of time.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I am Meh, on the so called notch.

For me, it is a brilliant way to push the top row notifications / device status off of the usable rectangle space of the screen and up into their own region. I actually dislike the constant top header on most Android and iOS devices, because it takes away screen real estate from the application I am wanting to use. I see more of an eyesore having 1 or 2 blank areas on my screen that do absolutely nothing in most cases.

View attachment 726656 View attachment 726655

I understand how people could personally dislike the notch, it is similar to how I dislike the menu bar on MacOS, and the notification / status bar on Android / iOS. At least with the notch, it kinda pushes status / notifications out of the way a little.

No Audio as of yet, which actually takes away most of the point of having a Live Photo. A small clip to relive that section of time.

But the blank area is still there on iPhone X. It's just permanent and can't ever be used, whereas on all 18:9 devices it can be used in video and games. That seems much more distracting. The 18:9 devices have more usable space than iPhone X, objectively speaking. But compared to 16:9 devices, yes, iPhone X provides more usable space.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
But the blank area is still there on iPhone X. It's just permanent and can't ever be used, whereas on all 18:9 devices it can be used in video and games. That seems much more distracting. The 18:9 devices have more usable space than iPhone X, objectively speaking. But compared to 16:9 devices, yes, iPhone X provides more usable space.
I see your viewpoint, I just have the opposing opinion on it. As opposed to giving you that space around the speakers on the Pixel 2, and other phones, they simply cut it off all together.

Since apple more or less restricts using that space (developer guidelines), it isn’t really used in landscape. Quite honestly, they could have sold it better by leaving it as a permanent rotation aware notification / status area that could be dimmed or disabled when watching video / playing games in landscape.

It doesn’t bother me, in the same strong sense that it does bother others. Personal opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.