Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I'm a big Nexus / Pixel fan, but this is pretty low from Google to do this;

http://phandroid.com/2017/10/19/pixel-2-pop-up-store-premium/

Google is drumming up interest in its latest Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL devices with a handful of pop-up stores in New York and Los Angeles. The Verge went hands-on with the pop-up store in Manhattan and discovered that every single model of the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL were jacked up by $30 bucks.

What’s worse is Google is selling the locked Verizon version of the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL at these events.
VZW doesn't lock their handsets, so that part is jibberish.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Zack totally roasted this phone...

:eek:

That's actually pretty terrible.
[doublepost=1508461611][/doublepost]It's ironic. I'm so used to the higher fps sensor of the s8 that I find the pixel 2's too low. Ha. It's the correct spot though for sure.

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
That's actually pretty terrible.
[doublepost=1508461611][/doublepost]It's ironic. I'm so used to the higher fps sensor of the s8 that I find the pixel 2's too low. Ha. It's the correct spot though for sure.
That was painful to watch.

The sound of the knife scratching the metal LG phone. :eek:

Reactions: epicrayban

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
It's pretty disappointing that they went with a lower quality LG display for the XL2 with a higher quality Samsung display for the smaller pixel...

On a side note, it's going to be a bit entertaining when people complain that their iPhone has a LG display while their friend's iPhone has a better Samsung display. Honestly, can't recall how many rants about different screen qualities we've had in the past.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
It's pretty disappointing that they went with a lower quality LG display for the XL2 with a higher quality Samsung display for the smaller pixel...

On a side note, it's going to be a bit entertaining when people complain that their iPhone has a LG display while their friend's iPhone has a better Samsung display. Honestly, can't recall how many rants about different screen qualities we've had in the past.
Oh man. I'm sure we can all name a few. :p

Yellow screen. Light bleed. Yellow-screen-that-disappears-after-a-week (from the iPad 2 days -- people were speculating that the unit was so recently produced that the glue hadn't sealed or something). Color gamut (iPad mini 2). Samsung chip, TSMC chip. Intel modem, Qualcomm modem.

^ And those were all Apple products.

Oh boy.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sure, in overall physical size of the entire phone. But when matching up screens it's actually quite a different story. Width they match the same, 375 points across. Height the X is 20% taller, BUT that is actually less because 1) the notch (although some of that is regained by incorporating the status bar into the notch area), 2) dev guidelines have margins which are larger on the X due to the notch and rounded corners, and 3) you have a line indicator on the bottom (in portrait or landscape mode) that takes up space, that the regular iPhone doesn't have. So actual content is restricted from those areas, although the screen will seem larger because the app itself can extend out, you actually won't get any content there.

https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/overview/iphone-x/

View attachment 724559

I was just talking physical size, the thing that affects one handed and pocket ability.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Pixel 2:

Goodness the software is really a joy to use. Everything just clicks and makes sense. And smooth. So unbelievably smooth. Truly like butter. I think Android is leagues better than iOS, not just in features, but in overall smoothness, consistency, and design. Android runs, looks, and feels better than iOS.

But it's really a shame about this tiny screen and the large bezel design. After coming from an s8, it feels like you're looking at your content through a square port window. Everything is cramped, you see much less on a webpage (say what you will about the 18:9 aspect ratio but for web browsing, it's great for the extra content), and indeed the colors are flatter and more natural.

I'm not confident I can adjust to such a downgrade in screen experience, but gonna give it some time. The overall design really leaves a lot to be desired.

The camera is terrific so far. I can appreciate the more natural colors here.

I've loved my S8's 18:9 screen ever since I bought it. I've never understood the complaints. 16:9 does feel boxed in after using the taller ratio for a while. But you can probably get used to the 16:9 again.

Reactions: epicrayban

Kiezpirat80

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Germany
Erica Griffin just recieved 2x Pixel 2 XL:

https://twitter.com/iAm_erica/status/921199883918258177
"Wow, the #PixelXL2 screen is crap. Grainy, issues with uniformity, just looks like 3 generations old oled to me.
Embarrasing Google, is the word for it. Just embarrassing."

DetroitBORG:
"Pixel 2 XL is such a hard one to reach a conclusion on, the display is garbage but the software and camera are fantastic.
My first thought is that it looked like the first gen Nexus, right down to the grain and blue shift."

Danny Winget‏:
"Ok. The Google Pixel 2 XL has the worst color shift in history. It’s damn near unusable. I am blown away by this.
I want to love this Pixel 2 XL so much. Love the feel. This Display is killing me."

Nearly all of my favorite YouTubers are very dissapointed with the screen, google has ruined a otherwise great phone :(

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Setting mine up. I'm not seeing the problems with the display. Slight blue tint when I hold it at an angle I'd never normally hold it at. Not seeing any graininess at all.
It's a little shocking, especially now at night, but I set up night light to turn on at sundown, anyway.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Erica Griffin just recieved 2x Pixel 2 XL:

https://twitter.com/iAm_erica/status/921199883918258177
"Wow, the #PixelXL2 screen is crap. Grainy, issues with uniformity, just looks like 3 generations old oled to me.
Embarrasing Google, is the word for it. Just embarrassing."

DetroitBORG:
"Pixel 2 XL is such a hard one to reach a conclusion on, the display is garbage but the software and camera are fantastic.
My first thought is that it looked like the first gen Nexus, right down to the grain and blue shift."

Danny Winget‏:
"Ok. The Google Pixel 2 XL has the worst color shift in history. It’s damn near unusable. I am blown away by this.
I want to love this Pixel 2 XL so much. Love the feel. This Display is killing me."

Nearly all of my favorite YouTubers are very dissapointed with the screen, google has ruined a otherwise great phone :(

Erica is the main person I've been waiting to hear from. I've always respected her reviews about displays because she is very particular about accuracy and defects just like I am.

After seeing the black crush issues myself the other night, now I'm seeing many people complain about it on both the 2 and 2 XL. Considering both devices are having that issue, it could just be software calibration and fixable.

But I don't think I'd be able to settle when spending that much money. I keep going back and forth about whether or not to buy, because I really wanted it. I really wish they would have gone with a Samsung-brand display in the XL 2. They could still have used their neutral calibration but without having a panel with so many issues.
[doublepost=1508469519][/doublepost]Also Erica said she opened a 2nd 2 XL unit and the screen had the same issues, but she seems happy with the normal 2.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Damn. Do not like the ridge where the screen meets the body. That is gonna be a terrible dust collector. Google's industrial design needs a little work.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Zack totally roasted this phone...

:eek:

Well Zack is a Samsung man through and through from what I’ve seen. He roasts IPhone a lot, too. And he practically did a commercial for LG V30. LG courted him heavily and gave him special access to their facilities so he could do their job for them in proving they built the 2017 LGs like tanks.

That’s not to say he’s not honest. He is. He has a pretty standard test and the Pixel 2 flunked it. It is what it is. It’s good to know that the fingerprint sensor won’t work if it’s scratched. Google is being pretty stupid knowing these You Tubers are out there doing what they do, yet Google sells a flagship for close to a thousand US dollars that can’t even pass the durability standards of an iPhone 6S Plus from 2015. They deserve to be roasted for it.

But the conclusions Zack draws and how he chooses to speak dismissively of the phone as a whole integrated with its software, aside from its chassis, is a reflection of his pro Samsung bias.

Let’s face it, I’ve seen plenty of smashed up Samsungs. It doesn’t take much of a drop to mess up those Edge displays if luck isn’t running your way during a particular drop.

Reactions: 840quadra and deany

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
but she seems happy with the normal 2.

The normal 2 uses a Samsung display. Google...WHYYYYYY did you have to use LG for your most expensive phone. I mean, common sense tells you the Samsung display is going to be better as they've been making OLED's for phone for almost a decade, while LG is just really getting started.

Ya, Erica is great. Like you said, she actually calls out screen defects, where as every reviewer just screams "such an amazing display" only to have some ridiculous dark yellow tint somewhere on the display (I'm talking about iPhone screens).

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Damn. Do not like the ridge where the screen meets the body. That is gonna be a terrible dust collector. Google's industrial design needs a little work.

I also don't like the single antenna line that's on the upper left of the frame, right below the Sim card tray. It's noticeable. The design overall leaves a lot to be desired.

It's really a shame because I'm enjoying the software, but the screen experience -- not just the screen itself -- is a serious downgrade.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I'm going to have to pick iPhone X for two reasons -

Pixels can't be recognized on Mac/Android File Transfer and its size.

AFT works OK on my iMac running Sierra connecting to the first gen Pixel.

I use it daily to transfer full res 24mp jpegs (processed in LR from RAWs) to the Pixel so it uploads original-sized backups to Google Photos without counting against my storage allowance.

I’ve heard it can sometimes disconnect but has worked for me without issue.

There’s also Handshaker which has a nicer UI if that matters. I prefer AFT as I’m just grabbing folders full of images.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Anyone with ATT able to get teathering to work? Support stated that since it is not an ATT phone, they have no commitment to support teathering or any “advanced” features.

Really bogus, because I have brought other devices to their network, and had them work fine. Really unhappy.

Actually the phone doesn’t need to be on the network for it to function, the only downside is it will not see or send SMS messages, but, I have the pixel to do that on.

I discovered how to do it before iMore did their post, but it is a good outline of how to use it.

https://www.imore.com/how-use-lte-apple-watch-android-smartphone

Not my first android phone or device, had the Shield android game device, then their tablet, and a few various Motorola phones. Recently had a Nexus 6P, but just decided to send that off to the ole folks at Swappa.
I am on AT&T but don’t have the Pixel, yet. My husband’s is supposed to get here next week. AT&T doesn’t want to do anything unless they absolutely have to, and even then you have to go through about ten idiots before you find someone who actually knows how to do something and even then you may need to be passed around in a circle until they are willing to do it. The first batch of idiots won’t even understand what you’re asking for, they will just give an answer that is totally unrelated to the topic just so they can log in that they said something. This astounds me because I meet plenty of people on forums like this who claim to work for AT&T or other telcos and they seem very knowledgeable and intelligent and nice. I just don’t seem to bump into them much in the customer service labyrinth.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.