Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I had my heart set on either of the two new earbuds from Apple. However I saw that the Jaybird Freedoms were on sale for $150 so I decided to give them a try. Holy crap they are awesome! Sound quality blows away my old set of Beats Solo2's. They are super comfortable, especially if you use the clips to shorten the cord and wear them over the ear. Plus you can pair them with 2 devices at the same time. The whole reason I wanted the airpods was because I got tired of re-pairing my headphones every time I switched from my iPad to my iPhone. The Freedoms will pair with both simultaneously and the transition is seamless. I'll be keeping these. No airpods for me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Airpods are likely two weeks out. Jaybirds are nice. In my opinion, I think the Airpods will be worth the wait. I'm hoping the sound quality will be worth the wait with the Airpods.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I had my heart set on either of the two new earbuds from Apple. However I saw that the Jaybird Freedoms were on sale for $150 so I decided to give them a try. Holy crap they are awesome! Sound quality blows away my old set of Beats Solo2's. They are super comfortable, especially if you use the clips to shorten the cord and wear them over the ear. Plus you can pair them with 2 devices at the same time. The whole reason I wanted the airpods was because I got tired of re-pairing my headphones every time I switched from my iPad to my iPhone. The Freedoms will pair with both simultaneously and the transition is seamless. I'll be keeping these. No airpods for me.

You are real close to availability of the Airpods so you can compare them to the Freedoms. Proceed accordingly.

Thanks for your opinion of those by the way, always wondered how they were.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
The airpods are ugly. As I recall the Jaybirds were tough to keep in the ear.
I don't understand why they would be. They come with 6 sets of ear tips (3 silicone and 3 comply) and 3 sets of wings. They work great for me over ear without the wings using the small comply tips

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Superior sound with AirPods? Good luck with that.

Really? Have you personally tested them? Do you have anything to provide other than 'Good luck with that.' So quick to reply with nothing to contribute to the sound quality or what they have to offer. I think these will do well once released and available for various user feedback. They may be Bluetooth, but that doesn't mean these cant boast premium sound.

Why don't we actually wait until they release and allow the Critics be the judge.

In the mean time, feel free to reply to the discussion, adding something of substance, Not some snide filler response stating "Good luck with that."

Reactions: hojx and Shark5150

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
Really? Have you personally tested them? Do you have anything to provide other than 'Good luck with that.' So quick to reply with nothing to contribute to the sound quality or what they have to offer. I think these will do well once released and available for various user feedback. They may be Bluetooth, but that doesn't mean these cant boast premium sound.

Why don't we actually wait until they release and allow the Critics be the judge.

In the mean time, feel free to reply to the discussion, adding something of substance, Not some snide filler response stating "Good luck with that."

A 5 second google search can give you a basic idea that EarPods sound quality is "ok" and definitely not providing superior sound.
AirPods are just wireless EarPods with w1 chip so i don't know why you are expecting superior sound from them but I can't ruin that to you so yeah you are right, we have to wait first.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Other than the improved battery life, I don't see the benefit of the W1 chip. I tried the Beats Solo 3 and was not impressed. It took about 10-15 seconds for the new connect card to appear. After that, it did appear on all my devices, however I had to connect through the Bluetooth menu each time. Also, it won't connect to 2 devices at the same time. The Jaybird Freedoms will. While the battery life of the freedoms isn't the best, its not horrible and definitely enough to get me through.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A 5 second google search can give you a basic idea that EarPods sound quality is "ok" and definitely not providing superior sound.
AirPods are just wireless EarPods with w1 chip so i don't know why you are expecting superior sound from them but I can't ruin that to you so yeah you are right, we have to wait first.

Let me try to understand your theory. You're telling me, a five second Google search, will ultimately share somebody else's anecdotal opinion based on a product that isn't released yet? That's ridiculous.

Understandably, Bluetooth will not have the same quality as wired headphones will. But nonetheless, Bluetooth is evolving and I believe the EarPods will ultimately provide the user the freedom of wires and premium sound. I never once said the sound quality will be superior to any other earbud on the market. However, the AirPods are the step in the right direction and I'm confident the sound will be sufficient enough where users will be content with it.

The EarPods are not only designed to provide adequate sound, but it's the freedom of the wires and comfortability in the ear.

And no, I don't need to read a Google review based on a product that isn't released yet. Google reviews can't justify my experience with EarPods, that I have not had the option of testing yet.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Other than the improved battery life, I don't see the benefit of the W1 chip. I tried the Beats Solo 3 and was not impressed. It took about 10-15 seconds for the new connect card to appear. After that, it did appear on all my devices, however I had to connect through the Bluetooth menu each time. Also, it won't connect to 2 devices at the same time. The Jaybird Freedoms will. While the battery life of the freedoms isn't the best, its not horrible and definitely enough to get me through.
Your experience with the W1 chip doesn't line up with the stated specs or the multiple reviews that I have read.

Reactions: jhfenton

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Let me try to understand your theory. You're telling me, a five second Google search, will ultimately share somebody else's anecdotal opinion based on a product that isn't released yet? That's ridiculous.

Understandably, Bluetooth will not have the same quality as wired headphones will. But nonetheless, Bluetooth is evolving and I believe the EarPods will ultimately provide the user the freedom of wires and premium sound. I never once said the sound quality will be superior to any other earbud on the market. However, the AirPods are the step in the right direction and I'm confident the sound will be sufficient enough where users will be content with it.

The EarPods are not only designed to provide adequate sound, but it's the freedom of the wires and comfortability in the ear.

And no, I don't need to read a Google review based on a product that isn't released yet. Google reviews can't justify my experience with EarPods, that I have not had the option of testing yet.

But....reviewers get them early. It's simply home it works.

If you want the airpods, get them, and enjoy them. Don't try and make them something they are not. Very reputable reviewers, such as AnandTech (iPhone 7 review) states simply the convince is great, and the sound is about equal to the EarPods included with the iPhone. That is what you are getting.

The jaybird x2s, for example, will simply have superior sound. But you don't get the neat w1 chip.

It's the fact of the product, but that doesn't make it a flawed product.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But....reviewers get them early. It's simply home it works.

If you want the airpods, get them, and enjoy them. Don't try and make them something they are not. Very reputable reviewers, such as AnandTech (iPhone 7 review) states simply the convince is great, and the sound is about equal to the EarPods included with the iPhone. That is what you are getting.

The jaybird x2s, for example, will simply have superior sound. But you don't get the neat w1 chip.

It's the fact of the product, but that doesn't make it a flawed product.

I understand tech reviewers receive product releases early. That being said, I have read Many of the reviews and the consensus seems to be fairly positive. Aside from the solid sound quality, the noise cancellation is something to consider as well, which many of the reviewers had said the Airpods did well.

And the most important part of the Airpods, is the comfortability. If there not comfortable, Then you won't wear them, which negates the sound, not matter how rich the sound is.

In the end, none of the reviews matter from these tech companies. The only review that matters is mine. I will be the judge of the sound and comfort when they release. If the Airpods my suit me, then that's all that matters. No what some other person says or thinks.

Reactions: BlueGoldAce

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
Comfort ability is subjective. The EarPods sucked and aren't comfortable to me. The air pods are the same design so they will hurt my ears too. Also the white color is a turnoff for me.

But everyone is different, he was stating his opinion and you yours.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
I wonder how many people will buy them just because they are made by apple?

ATEspo

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Where are the JayBird Freedoms avaialble for $150?
I lost my JayBirds early this year, and haven't bought another pair of BT headphones yet, was going to wait to see how these AirPods are first.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Where are the JayBird Freedoms avaialble for $150?
I lost my JayBirds early this year, and haven't bought another pair of BT headphones yet, was going to wait to see how these AirPods are first.

At Best Buy, no longer that price now as they were on sale for a week or so.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Well I got tired myself so I got the gear icon x.

Range is terrible, so is battery life.

But they sound great. My chief reason to try them to see if sound quality would be good with completely wireless earbuds.

I assume Apple would be able to match that and we already know range and battery life are forecasted to be better.

Last edited:

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005

The battery life gains and solidity of connection and range are huge benefits over standard wireless. Stability of connection may not be much of an issue chilling at home, but walking around Manhattan with tons of interference, the Solo3 didn't struggle at all even where the venerable QC35 (and new QC30) have stutters. Dependent on use cases of course

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I wonder how many people will buy them just because they are made by apple?

Most people just jumping on the train because its something new and improved from Apple. I do want to try them out but I am worried about how they will fit, I think I need to find an old set of earpods and cut the cord off and see how it feels. Do doubt they will offer premium sound quality, but I prob will give them a try.

Reactions: Will22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.