Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p-dog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
London
Did anyone catch this during the keynote?

1. "We're building in software encoder support into High Sierra for all Macs"
2. "Hardware acceleration of HEVC in the newest Macs"...

Hardware accelerated lists MacBook Pro 2016. I thought this is not possible in Skylake?

hevc.jpg

jun180

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Yes I heard this, I am not an expert on these codecs. Can anyone shed some light on this, and what it means for 4k video playback/editing?

p-dog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
London
I think the key component that doesn't exist in Skylake and does properly on Kaby Lake is the DRM/licensing element, right? Anyone?

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007

Hardware accelerated lists MacBook Pro 2016. I thought this is not possible in Skylake?

hevc.jpg

8-Bit is on skylake. 10-bit is only possbile using hybrid gpu/cpu code. The dGPU has 8/10-bit hardware support.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
H.265 is only available in hardware in the Kaby Lake CPUs. It's not present in the Skylake CPUs. Building a software encoder is ok but it'll be demanding in terms of CPU and therefore battery life in comparison to the same job in done with a native Kaby Lake CPU. I suppose a 15" 2016 Macbook Pro could have GPU assisted encoding.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
H.265 is only available in hardware in the Kaby Lake CPUs. It's not present in the Skylake CPUs. Building a software encoder is ok but it'll be demanding in terms of CPU and therefore battery life in comparison to the same job in done with a native Kaby Lake CPU. I suppose a 15" 2016 Macbook Pro could have GPU assisted encoding.

He said "HARDWARE" not software. Time will tell.

Reactions: xmonkey

Birkan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Germany
Full hardware acceleration is probably only possible on 15 inch models with discrete AMD graphics. On the other hand 13 inch model probably only supports hybrid (software&hardware) decoding just like in Windows.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris

hevc.jpg
GPU decide/encode

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
"sixth‑generation Intel Core processor or newer."

So these are skylake CPUSs right? Meaning entry level Macbook 12" with the m3 2016, and newer. hm

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I saw that too... interesting. I'm guessing it goes like this:

Kaby Lake = native hardware decoder in CPU (best performance)
2016-Mac Book/Pro;2015-iMac = software encoder but using GPU optimization (middle performance)
Earlier Macs = pure software encoder (slowest performance)

?

BoxsterRS

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
What I got from the Keynote, I believe you can export faster to a more efficient file.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
I believe the 2016 models are going to exploit the discrete GPU for decoding, as on paper those cards should be capable of doing so, but Sierra didn't support it.

I don't get it, what will this do for my normal using with my Mac and its experience?
If you aren't going to play 4K content with h265/HEVC encoding, nothing I guess :)

Granted, it will be an irrelevant addition for most people, but this and official eGPU support show that Apple is serious about keeping the 2016 machines relevant for a long time. And as the owner of a 2016 MBP, this is obviously something I'm very happy to see.

Reactions: MrGuder

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I believe the 2016 models are going to exploit the discrete GPU for decoding, as on paper those cards should be capable of doing so, but Sierra didn't support it.

It must be more than that. They have specifically listed models without discrete GPUs as getting this feature.

Reactions: Miltz

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
It must be more than that. They have specifically listed models without discrete GPUs as getting this feature.
Yes, I think they will also include some kind of software-based solution for laptops without a discrete card. Let's wait for more detailed info to appear, but I'm optimistic, I feel that lately Apple has been doing a good job on the OS side to improve the performance of the newest Macs.

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
The most likely answer seems to me to be:

1) Software encoder/decoder for all Macs.
2) Full hardware support for 8-bit HEVC on Skylake.
3) Hybrid hardware acceleration + software support for 10-bit HEVC on Skylake (which provides enough performance to play back 10-bit 4K HEVC).
4) Full hardware support on 15" Skylake Pros (via dGPU) and Kaby Lake.

dovvee

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
FINALLY.

I'm excited about this. Right now, I run 10bit 4K HEVC videos in Windows via Bootcamp (MPC-HC) and it's buttery smooth, compared to the stuttering in Sierra.

I have a MBP 2016 15" AMD 460, so the dGPU does have support for it. I hope High Sierra takes full advantage of the dGPU for HW support.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016

hevc.jpg

Quite possibly the best announcement from yesterday IMHO.

I looked into it before buying my tMBP. To the best of my knowledge, with H265 Skylake seems to support 8-bit video encoding/decoding. Kaby supports 10-bit.

I ended up going with the 2016 tMBP, because neither the screen on the MacBookPros nor ThunderBolt3(via DP1.2 or HDMI2.0) support 10-bit video. (Not sure)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding#Implementations_and_products

CORRECTION: It has been brought to my attention that ThunderBolt3 via DisplayPort 1.2 supports 4k 30-bit color @ 60 Hz

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.