Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TheLion01

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2015
The Netherlands
Update:

I found some time trying to boot Haiku 32-bit on the 2006 Mac mini. It shows the bootscreen and loads the 6 icons below it. After that it shows a black screen and it won't show the desktop. After a minute or so, the system shuts down. Maybe I need to change some boot parameters, but when booting Haiku on a Mac, you can't press shift or spacebar to show boot options. Maybe I can modify the boot file on a different Haiku system.

The biggest hassle I have right now with this Mac is that it won't boot from USB or CD. When pressing Option at the Chime it's loads the boot picker but after selecting which system to boot, it completely freezes. My workaround was installing Haiku on the SSD on a PC and then inserting the SSD in the mini and boot from it. It works but it requires to open up the Mac everytime I want to change something on the Haiku boot settings...

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
new beta5 to try:

• Version: R1/beta5
  • Release date: September 13, 2024

R1/beta5 – Release Notes​

The fifth beta for Haiku R1 over a year and a half of hard work to improve Haiku’s hardware support and its overall stability, and to make lots more software ports available for use.

Reactions: B S Magnet

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
Quick test.
Haiku hanged at boot on cMP5.1 right after displaying image "HAIKU" with icons. But it booted quite fast on MacBook a1342. Track pad works, but no wifi. Not quite usable, don't know if there is installable driver for that.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Da
Quick test.
Haiku hanged at boot on cMP5.1 right after displaying image "HAIKU" with icons. But it booted quite fast on MacBook a1342. Track pad works, but no wifi. Not quite usable, don't know if there is installable driver for that.
Dang !!

My netbook track pad worked fine with B4
But not with B5
Now I've got to reinstall B4

Get a hardware list
Write a ticket
If I can find B4

Reactions: splifingate

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Update:

I found some time trying to boot Haiku 32-bit on the 2006 Mac mini. It shows the bootscreen and loads the 6 icons below it. After that it shows a black screen and it won't show the desktop. After a minute or so, the system shuts down. Maybe I need to change some boot parameters, but when booting Haiku on a Mac, you can't press shift or spacebar to show boot options. Maybe I can modify the boot file on a different Haiku system.

The biggest hassle I have right now with this Mac is that it won't boot from USB or CD. When pressing Option at the Chime it's loads the boot picker but after selecting which system to boot, it completely freezes. My workaround was installing Haiku on the SSD on a PC and then inserting the SSD in the mini and boot from it. It works but it requires to open up the Mac everytime I want to change something on the Haiku boot settings...
I wasted heap of CDs trying to get their nightly to work on an ancient 32 bit laptop. The prob being the lack of a DVD burner but the nightly would fit on a CD being less than 700 mb.
Gave up on that and bought an external DVD burner and finally got it working.

There is an alternative key to use to get the pre boot menu...I need to check what it is land will get back with that info. OH !! I should read more carefully - you already stated the spacebar !!

It does provide a lot of turn off options so may work for you.

Timing of holding down may be critical

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.