Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There are two notable design changes for the new iPad Pro models introduced today: they are the thinnest Apple products ever released, and they are available in a new Space Black finish that debuted on the MacBook Pro last year.

iPad-Pro-Space-Black.jpeg

Apple gave the media some hands-on time with the new iPad Pro models, and we have rounded up real-world photos and videos of the devices below.

The new 11-inch iPad Pro is just 5.3mm thick, and the 13-inch model is even thinner at 5.1mm.

There is also a new Magic Keyboard for the new iPad Pro models that features an aluminum palm rest and a larger trackpad. The keyboard is available in Black and White color options, which have Space Black and Silver palm rests, respectively.

Last, the new Apple Pencil Pro looks very similar to the second-generation Apple Pencil.

Article Link: Hands-On With iPad Pro in Space Black: Apple's Thinnest Product Ever

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Thinnest product ever? Jonny just got a full Ive-on watching this introduction.

Also, I wonder if the keyboard is now heavier to allow for the function row keys, or if it's just that it's less top-heavy with the lighter device?

m1mini

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
If it gets macOS like rumored in WWDC i'll either sell my current high-bin m3 pro mbp and get a 1tb 13" with the magic keyboard, or ill use my mbp till its bust, get a m8 iPP 15" in 2028 and get a base m4 11" pro in the meantime

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
The thinner enclosure seems like a distraction from the bezels, which are not much thinner. The stock photos seem to purposely show a black background on the new Pro instead of a bright one on the Airs. In the past, Apple has played up the differences in bezels with iPhone Pro vs. non-Pro using light wallpapers in photos.

I can see the benefit of a thinner device when combined with a keyboard.

rikki_t

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2023
well the first Gen was thin, thinner than second and third, I suppose since they've dumped the mini LED they can make it thin again, not much of sales pitch though.........

So I get an angry reaction for pointing out the 4th Gen is .2 of a millimetre thinner than the 1st Gen, wow like your gonna notice ?

Last edited:

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
If it gets macOS like rumored in WWDC i'll either sell my current high-bin m3 pro mbp and get a 1tb 13" with the magic keyboard, or ill use my mbp till its bust, get a m8 iPP 15" in 2028 and get a base m4 11" pro in the meantime
Where’s the rumor it’ll get macOS? It may get more macOS-like features, but I doubt they put macOS on it. I might trade in my M2 MBA for it though. I’ll probably wait until WWDC to decide, it will at least get me out of that FOMO phase.

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
Beautiful, but I will hold off on upgrading my M1 MacBook Air until something like an M4 Air arrives just for the extra basic functionality and productivity (compared to an iPad). I'm not much of a creative type and I appreciate and need the most value possible.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
The thinner enclosure seems like a distraction from the bezels, which are not much thinner. The stock photos seem to purposely show a black background on the new Pro instead of a bright one on the Airs. In the past, Apple has played up the differences in bezels with iPhone Pro vs. non-Pro using light wallpapers in photos.

I can see the benefit of a thinner device when combined with a keyboard.

You need some bezels on a tablet to hold it. So no they should not have made the bezels any thinner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.