Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidChoux

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
I've been getting stuck in a rabbit hole of trying to find out what to replace my 6 year old MBP's thermal paste with.

I was about to buy some standard MX4 thermal paste until I read that laptops tend to 'pump-out' their thermal paste rather quickly. Something to do with laptops having no IHS but just the die itself and the different rates of heating and cooling slowly push out the thermal paste. I've heard multiple people say that this can happen after only a few months, and considering it's quite a task to get to the CPU, I don't want to go down that route.

Then I found recommendations for thicker pastes that supposedly 'pump-out' less; GELID GC-Extreme, Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut, and Thermalright TFX were commonly mentioned. However, there were also stories of these being ineffective after only a few months.

Finally, I came across using thermal pads. Namely the Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut and the harder to get phase shifting Honeywell PTM 7950. These seem to be the best option as they should last for years and years. So, by any chance, have any of you here used any of the above pads, or perhaps had success with thermal paste?

Thanks.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Not sure personally but this article shows performance improvement on a MBA with a pad…

DavidChoux

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Not sure personally but this article shows performance improvement on a MBA with a pad…

Thanks, but I meant using a thinner pad designed to replace the thermal paste between the CPU die and the headsink.

DavidChoux

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Apple's thermal solutions are already high end. Not much to improve.

I'm sorry but thermal paste doesn't perform well after 6 years of heavy daily use in a laptop where over 90 degC is not uncommon. You clearly don't know much about this so could you please refrain from posting these unhelpful comments.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm sorry but thermal paste doesn't perform well after 6 years of heavy daily use in a laptop where over 90 degC is not uncommon. You clearly don't know much about this so could you please refrain from posting these unhelpful comments.
So you are telling me that all thermal paste goes bad with regular conditions?

You mean Artic Silver lied to everyone?

DavidChoux

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
So you are telling me that all thermal paste goes bad with regular conditions?

You mean Artic Silver lied to everyone?

Yes, thermal paste doesn't remain fully effective indefinitely.

Are you telling me that those who put new thermal paste into their 5+ year old laptops and see temperature reductions are lying?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Yes, thermal paste doesn't remain fully effective indefinitely.

Are you telling me that those who put new thermal paste into their 5+ year old laptops and see temperature reductions are lying?
Yes, but given the lifespan of a Mac, it seems on par with said lifespan; hence, why replace it? I haven't applied new thermal paste to my late 2008 ever since I got it. Result? Yes it runs a bit hot due to the how much CPU cycles it's using. But I have yet to see a direct correlation.

DavidChoux

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Yes, but given the lifespan of a Mac, it seems on par with said lifespan; hence, why replace it? I haven't applied new thermal paste to my late 2008 ever since I got it. Result? Yes it runs a bit hot due to the how much CPU cycles it's using. But I have yet to see a direct correlation.

Look, I don't care that you don't want new thermal paste on your old laptop. I do. So please stop with these comments that don't answer my question and try to 'advise' me otherwise with this 'wisdom' that you think you seem to have.

stayupforever909

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Stockholm
I had not heard of laptops not having an IHS before but this ifixit https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Apply+Thermal+Paste/744 guide does suggest that. I have never reapplied thermal paste to a laptop but Macs are notoriously difficult to service so your idea of using a thermal pad makes sense. The only issue I could see is with laptops every mm matters. Would a thin enough thermal pad to fit be enough to help cool the CPU. Saying this though I sort of know I am incorrect. As far as I know the purpose of thermal paste is to fill the microscope gaps between IHS/CPU to improve thermal conductivity. So as long as the thermal pad is thick enough but not to thick there should be no reason it would not be a good solution. Maybe take a look at https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Touch+Bar+2018+Cooling+optimization/137739

DavidChoux

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
I had not heard of laptops not having an IHS before but this ifixit https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Apply+Thermal+Paste/744 guide does suggest that. I have never reapplied thermal paste to a laptop but Macs are notoriously difficult to service so your idea of using a thermal pad makes sense. The only issue I could see is with laptops every mm matters. Would a thin enough thermal pad to fit be enough to help cool the CPU. Saying this though I sort of know I am incorrect. As far as I know the purpose of thermal paste is to fill the microscope gaps between IHS/CPU to improve thermal conductivity. So as long as the thermal pad is thick enough but not to thick there should be no reason it would not be a good solution. Maybe take a look at https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Touch+Bar+2018+Cooling+optimization/137739

To be fair I didn't realise laptops don't have an IHS until after reading up about it.

The 'thermal pad' I listed (Carbonaut) is specifically designed to be a thermal interface material (TIM) like paste, so it's designed to conform to all the surface imperfections on the CPU and cooler. I would think that 'thickness' of thermal paste is very low once the cooler is screwed in. The carbonaut is 0.2mm so I don't think there should be a issue with fit.

I guess I should just go ahead and do it but I would like to know first if someone else has done it with their Mac to makes sure it's all fine. I'm sure it is, but you know, just want to check.

andrewv69

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2021
Outer Space
What model macbook do you have? 6 years old would make it a 2016, check these ifixit guides to get an idea of what you'll have to do https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Laptop

A Carbonaut pad might work fine, but you're taking a risk as it seems like not many people have tried it and you might have to do some sanding of your heatsink, which is easy to screw up if you don't know what you're doing. Carbonaut is more commonly used in gaming PC's/desktops, and is targeted to be easily reusable, more for people who often swap out heatsink/cpu or maybe for something you never want to take apart, like a Mac Pro 6,1. Not to mention the heat performance isn't as good, though the Macbook doesn't have enough heat output to really notice a difference.

Thermal paste is a consumable. Over time, it dries out and becomes less effective. Much like wear items on your car, or batteries, thermal paste is something that has to be replaced after a certain period of time (ideally 2 or 3 years). This is the reality of thermal paste, and while some blends last more than others they all have to be replaced eventually. Apple's stock paste isn't great so any reputable brand of paste will do better than stock.

Macbooks, like most laptops, don't have an IHS which means the silicon is exposed, and is therefore more fragile.

I'd recommend just buy a tube of any reputable thermal paste and do the replacement, and take the opportunity to thoroughly dust out the inside. There's really no point in using a Carbonaut pad.

DavidChoux

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
What model macbook do you have? 6 years old would make it a 2016, check these ifixit guides to get an idea of what you'll have to do https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Laptop

A Carbonaut pad might work fine, but you're taking a risk as it seems like not many people have tried it and you might have to do some sanding of your heatsink, which is easy to screw up if you don't know what you're doing. Carbonaut is more commonly used in gaming PC's/desktops, and is targeted to be easily reusable, more for people who often swap out heatsink/cpu or maybe for something you never want to take apart, like a Mac Pro 6,1. Not to mention the heat performance isn't as good, though the Macbook doesn't have enough heat output to really notice a difference.

Thermal paste is a consumable. Over time, it dries out and becomes less effective. Much like wear items on your car, or batteries, thermal paste is something that has to be replaced after a certain period of time (ideally 2 or 3 years). This is the reality of thermal paste, and while some blends last more than others they all have to be replaced eventually. Apple's stock paste isn't great so any reputable brand of paste will do better than stock.

Macbooks, like most laptops, don't have an IHS which means the silicon is exposed, and is therefore more fragile.

I'd recommend just buy a tube of any reputable thermal paste and do the replacement, and take the opportunity to thoroughly dust out the inside. There's really no point in using a Carbonaut pad.

Thanks. Yes it's a 2016 13".

Yeah basically that's the issue, I've only found one person who has done it to their Macbook Pro (which is the link you posted). I know that it's used more for desktops and that it's reusable, but the biggest advantage for me is that it doesn't need to be changed every 3 or so years. As the author in the link you posted said, they didn't actually see much improvement in flatting the heatsink so I don't think that's necessary. They also said thermal performance was good so I'm not concerned about thermal paste being potentially better.

I'm not sure that just getting any old regular thermal paste is a good idea, as I mentioned in my original post.

DavidChoux

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Doesn’t that say something? Maybe it’s not worth or is more trouble that it’s worth.

I doubt it. It's probably more that people just haven't heard of using thermal pads as TIM rather than people being put off by it.

Even those that replied here don't know much about it or mistakenly thought I was talking about those thermal pads people put between the heatsink and bottom plate.

Queen6

macrumors G4
More trouble than it's worth IMO. Never replaced the TIM on any of my MBP's oldest (15") now closing on 11 years still runs at full bore without throttling.

I think when you read that people see significant difference from replacing the TIM on notebooks it's more likely to be related to removing dust & debris from the cooling system as factor of the process than the TIM.

Some may see some small improvement, equally not worth the hassle or worse if the wrong TIM is applied.

Q-6

Reactions: jav6454

Queen6

macrumors G4
I doubt it. It's probably more that people just haven't heard of using thermal pads as TIM rather than people being put off by it.

Even those that replied here don't know much about it or mistakenly thought I was talking about those thermal pads people put between the heatsink and bottom plate.
Pads are conductive and therefore not ideally suitable for mobile processors with no IHS. They also need significant mounting force to be effective, hence why they are not used in notebooks etc. as the retention force is far less than with a desktop machine.

If determined Artic MX-2/MX-4 or Noctua NT-H2 are good options for notebooks...

Q-6

DavidChoux

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Pads are conductive and therefore not ideally suitable for mobile processors with no IHS. They also need significant mounting force to be effective, hence why they are not used in notebooks etc. as the retention force is far less than with a desktop machine.

If determined Artic MX-2/MX-4 or Noctua NT-H2 are good options for notebooks...

Q-6

Yeah being electrically conductive is what I'm a little concerned about. I think I'll just leave TBH. Not worth the hassle. I'm planning to upgrade next year anyway when the 3nm chips come out.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yeah being electrically conductive is what I'm a little concerned about. I think I'll just leave TBH. Not worth the hassle. I'm planning to upgrade next year anyway when the 3nm chips come out.
Honesty I'd leave it as is. Yes the TIM does degrade in time, however not significantly so. Apple's solution is slanted towards longevity versus outwrite performance.

If you did proceed with a better performing TIM like as not there would be only a small reduction in temperature and a reduction in fan speed. Mac's tend to run hot underload as that's how Apple designed them to be :)

I would also add 3 years as a value is very much a misnomer, likely driven by denizens of the internet. Artic quotes 5 years & Noctua quotes 8 years if memory serves and it's in their own best interests to sell the product LOL...

As for Apple the paste wont be the cheapest on the market, nor the most expensive. It will however be the most suitable at the time of production with longevity in mind.

Q-6

Last edited:

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Usually pads have much less thermal transmission rate compared to a paste. U can find the specs to the product.

The tiny gap between cpu and heatsink is better filled with paste. The thicker the pad the worse.

I would also say that the bigger effect comes from cleaning the fan and air channels.
But even if u reapply the paste u should be fine once. As the next time your computer will be 10 years old and EOL

Last edited:
Reactions: ToniCH and Queen6

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
QUESTION!

Can I reuse the same honeywell pad after opening up the CPU? Mine feels like a thermal paste, it's all spread out. I dont know if I should replace it or keep using it.

DavidChoux

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
QUESTION!

Can I reuse the same honeywell pad after opening up the CPU? Mine feels like a thermal paste, it's all spread out. I dont know if I should replace it or keep using it.

Oh, so you have done it? How was it?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
More trouble than it's worth IMO. Never replaced the TIM on any of my MBP's oldest (15") now closing on 11 years still runs at full bore without throttling.

I think when you read that people see significant difference from replacing the TIM on notebooks it's more likely to be related to removing dust & debris from the cooling system as factor of the process than the TIM.

Some may see some small improvement, equally not worth the hassle or worse if the wrong TIM is applied.

Q-6
Thank you, people over think things like this and are looking for miracles when in reality there are few things that can truly add value. This being not one of them.

Reactions: Queen6

DavidChoux

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Thank you, people over think things like this and are looking for miracles when in reality there are few things that can truly add value. This being not one of them.

Not sure where you got the idea that I was looking for a miracle! Nor am I trying to add value. But thanks for assuming those are the two things I'm looking for!

I've done my research and the majority of users who replace the paste on the 5+ year old have reported cooler temp and quieter running which is the "miracle" I'm after. I don't need you to tell me that this isn't true because you're clearly wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.