Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Thank you, people over think things like this and are looking for miracles when in reality there are few things that can truly add value. This being not one of them.

After owning many Mac notebooks and suffering some of the real burners. Done & written a fair amount over the years on the MBP thermals. My conclusion is that there's not much benefit as the system will still run the CPU/dGPU in the high 90C region regardless, you may see a reduction in fan speed. Some models can benefit, equally they tend to be the ones that were thermally constrained by design, 16" i9 MBP springs to mind.

If I look at the thermals of my 2011 15" under full load it clearly illustrates the TIM is still performing reasonably well. It holds 2.9 GHz on all four cores (Max 3.2 GHz for multi core), temp in the region of 95C, fan speed in the region of 6K of 6.2K (ambient 26C) and on it's full PL2 power limit of 45W so there is no indication of thermal throttling.

The 2011 is also more complex to deal with as you need to strip out the entire Logic Board to replace the TIM. Given it's age there's risk of breakage removing the board with no spares at hand. As said not worth the trouble...

If I look at my 2021 13" M1 MBP it's much the same story with the fan not even spooling up until 90C and not passing 5K of 7K with zero throttling. Just how Apple designs it's Mac's to encompass higher operating temperatures as a normal aspect of use..

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Post in question was cut. Justifiably so, as was needlessly insulting with a lack of knowledge of Mac's and their intrinsic workings.

I was wrong Honeywell PTM 7950 as it's not conductive, yet some thermal pads are conductive so beware. I still stand by the same, clean out the the cooling solution. Leave the TIM as is, unless you have serious overheat issues.

What Apple applies may not be the most efficient TIM, equally it's designed for longevity. Bottom line is if your Mac isn't throttling dont worry about it. My own Late 2011 15" doesn't throttle regardless of load and it's been hammered, nor does my M1 MBP, so who cares...

I dont agree with Apple's locked in, locked out approach by any means and it's environmental hypocrisy, equally if you want to run a fast Mac you have to live with it or roll the dice with a Hacintosh.

In the electronics industry there are numerus grades of components & sub grades. Higher tiers can withstand far more abuse. Is Apple utilising top tier no, as the cost would be prohibitive (Mil spec)

Close to 12 years on, still getting value out of my stock Late 2011 15" MBP. It's our media server, only shutdown on a house move, judge the value proposition for yourself...

Q-6

Last edited:

therinwhitten

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2024
I just did this. I took the time while cleaning up the fans to repaste the macbook pro 16 2019 with Honeywell 7950.

The old paste was crusty and dry and frankly horrible lmao.

I saw an average of 10-15C (35C instead of 45-50) idle improvement and a 10C Degree improvement over normal operation.

It seems alot quieter. Although, its still easy to get it to shoot to 85C. 7950 gets better as sets in. So I expect it to improve marginally.
Hotspots are a ton better on both the gpu and CPU though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.