Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Apple chose thinness over strength. I don't know if Apple silently updated their manufacturing process to strengthen the case, or they will if they do a spec bump in the fall. I'm debating whether to get a IPP now and get the beats headphones (admittedly I don't need them), or wait till the fall and hope for the best.
The bending is a non-issue. People flood MR with their complaints, but you don't hear from the thousands of people who have perfectly fine iPad Pros. Also strange how all those complaints pretty much disappeared after a month, once the anti-Apple news cycle died down. You don't read anything about people having bent iPads now. Even if they've been silently updated, surely there's still some more launch ipad pros out there in wild, right. Totally overblown non-issue.

Reactions: aevan

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Everybody who uses a case and a screen protector is deliberately making it heavier and bulkier so as to make it more practical. What percentage do that? There's your answer then.
How does a screen protector make a phone heavier?

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
It was more intended to point out how ridiculous it is to think that profit is the ONLY reason to do things. It’s not. There are considerations in Design, engineering, marketability, etc.

You say soldiering parts is about increasing profit - have you ever considered it being about reducing variability? Apple has made a big practice out of being able to squeeze every ounce of efficiency out of components and the less variation they have to account for on the hardware side the more they can do on the software side.

I think it would a huge mistake to think that Apple doesn’t know what it’s customers want - and not just the ones on the message boards.

I’m glad you’re switching to non-Apple PCs - there are far more options to buy from where you can find exactly what you want - though I would point out that you’re not free from non-user upgradable machines entirely on the Windows side. There are LOTS of PC manufacturers that are making laptops and tablets the same way Apple makes them (including Microsoft!).

The design (soldered in), the price levels (far too little memory and storage for this price level), price to upgrade. How can anyone say with a straight face it’s not the bottom line.

Really? I started building computers in the 80’s (dos) so I’m not familiar with then.

Actually I put together my own windows desktops, have never bought a pre made one. May go hackintosh. There are lots more windows laptops NOT soldering everything in than doing so. Even highly upgradable ones like sager/clevo. There are NO apple laptops not doing it.
[doublepost=1563760633][/doublepost]
How does a screen protector make a phone heavier?

If it’s a glass one? Very little but still “heavier”.

Reactions: Precursor and xx22

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Everybody who uses a case and a screen protector is deliberately making it heavier and bulkier so as to make it more practical. What percentage do that? There's your answer then.

The 3 reasons I put a screen protector on:
1.) I want it to last longer so I can use it longer.
2.) I do have diagnosed severe OCD and I almost automatically do such things to all expensive products I buy.
3.) iPads and iPhones get better protective treatment (from myself) because they look amazing and I want them to stay that way.

BTW just an FYI to people, 7000 series aluminum is stronger, but it also is very more prone to corrosion, So while 7000 series would be great, part of me wonders if Apple has reasons for not using it in anything but Apple watches or iPhones. I don't know what those reasons would be as the iPhone or Apple Watch are subjected to more humidity and water than iPads. hmmm.

K.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard8655

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
3.) iPads and iPhones get better protective treatment because they look amazing and I want them to stay that way.

I usually agree with you, but I have to say that I never use screen protectors on my iPhones and iPads (I used a few that give a paper feel to the screen, but not for protection) and they stay looking amazing. That glass is seriously scratch resistant, I even barely have micro-scratches that you see under direct lamp light. You do what you want, ofc, but in my opinion you don't really have to use screen protectors.

Personally, I think they are completely uneccessary, but people still use them all the time and I guess there is an entire industry behind them.

[doublepost=1563914333][/doublepost]
They do not have to be soldered in to be thin, connectors can be thinner than the components and very small. .

There is more to it than thinness, and of course, some of it plays nicely to their overall business strategy, but most devices these days are soldered and closed because that's what makes them non-squeeky, premium-feeling, solid, thin and sleek devices that, yes, people want. Your conclusions are wrong and your attitude is aggressive towards people who disagree with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.