Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johan67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
After updating to iOS 10.3 the home button has become unresponsive, sometimes needing a second click to exit an application. The first press does register on the phone since I can feel it vibrate but it does nothing. This is entirely random and I never know if one press will be enough to exit an application. This behavior started after the update.

Phone: iPhone 7 Plus
Updated from: 10.2.1
Updated how: Over the air

Reactions: bratemoj

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Have you tried a hard reset after you installed the update? Is the home button unresponsive at times with certain applications or any actions on the iPhone 7 with the home Button?

johan67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Have you tried a hard reset after you installed the update? Is the home button unresponsive at times with certain applications or any actions on the iPhone 7 with the home Button?

I have done a hard reset with no effect.
I also did a "Reset All Settings" with no effect.

The home button is unresponsive with various applications, not just certain ones. I only notice this behaviour when trying to exit an app.

I also have the "App Switcher Bug" as discussed in another thread.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have done a hard reset with no effect.
I also did a "Reset All Settings" with no effect.

The home button is unresponsive with various applications, not just certain ones. I only notice this behaviour when trying to exit an app.

I also have the "App Switcher Bug" as discussed in another thread.

In my opinion, If you completed all those actions, I would consider reverting back to the previous iOS version you were using if applicable. Otherwise, I would make sure you back up and restore all your information, followed by contacting Apple. Perhaps this is hardware related.

Last edited:

wbrat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
After updating to iOS 10.3 the home button has become unresponsive, sometimes needing a second click to exit an application. The first press does register on the phone since I can feel it vibrate but it does nothing. This is entirely random and I never know if one press will be enough to exit an application. This behavior started after the update.

Phone: iPhone 7 Plus
Updated from: 10.2.1
Updated how: Over the air

I remember some people reported the same problem with 10.3 betas on iPhone7.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Happened to me on Beta 7, no such issue on 10.3 release version. I wiped my device shortly before the update to 10.3 dropped.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Updated my iPhone 7 to ios 10.3 last night and the phone feels more snappier compared to previous version :D no issues encountered till now

Last edited:

johan67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
My thoughts are it's hardware related. But I could be wrong. Either way, please be sure to update the thread and let us know what you find out. I would be curious.

Not sure how it can be hardware since the phone is 4 months old and was perfectly fine before the update. The only thing that changed was iOS.

Saw a post by a guy here:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...official]-ios-10-3-discussions-5591085-3.html

Had the same problem and rolled back to 10.2.1 to fix it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not sure how it can be hardware since the phone is 4 months old and was perfectly fine before the update. The only thing that changed was iOS.

Even if it's only four months old, that doesn't mean that you can't have hardware issues. But then again, I don't know that for sure. But all the issues that you're experiencing and you likely have executed many of the options to rectify the issue, and it still is persisting. So I'm not sure what your left else to do. Unless someone else has some advice other than what was given in this thread. I would say at this point, contacting Apple would be your next option.

johan67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Even if it's only four months old, that doesn't mean that you can't have hardware issues. But then again, I don't know that for sure. But all the issues that you're experiencing and you likely have executed many of the options to rectify the issue, and it still is persisting. So I'm not sure what your left else to do. Unless someone else has some advice other than what was given in this thread. I would say at this point, contacting Apple would be your next option.

So are you saying that the update caused the hardware to break?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So are you saying that the update caused the hardware to break?

My point is, you stated your iPhone is only "Four months old." That doesn't mean you can't have hardware issues, being your home button is not working properly. A hardware issue can perisit at any time. But I'm willing to believe your issue is likely Software, being you never experienced his issue until after the 10.3 install.

I already mentioned to revert back to 10.2.1 to ensure it's not your home button. Otherwise, attempt a full clean install or contact Apple Support if necessary.

Last edited:

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I would do a clean install via iTunes... If you download the firmware online. I believe you can do shift "update".. and basically reinstall the same software without having to do a full restore..

matbishop

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
Hi everyone,

Johans problem is definitely NOT hardware related.

After updating my iPhone 6S Plus to iOS 10.3 I am experiencing the exact problem. The home button does not always respond to the first click when pressing, needing a second one to exit the application.

Interesting to see this happes to the iPhone 7 with the non-clicking home button. The next update will probably fix this problem so no need for everyone to go resetting phones and thinking they have a hardware problem.

Just be patient.

Cheers

Hilb

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Yes i have still exactly the same problem. With ios 10.2.1 i didnt had this problem.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
I can see the same happening on my 7 Plus.
It's rare but I encountered this issue 2-3 times in 2 days, since I upgraded to 10.3, it didn't happen on every other versions I had before (10.1.1, 10.2 or 10.2.1).

lawremap

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2017
Hi everyone,

Johans problem is definitely NOT hardware related.

After updating my iPhone 6S Plus to iOS 10.3 I am experiencing the exact problem. The home button does not always respond to the first click when pressing, needing a second one to exit the application.

Interesting to see this happes to the iPhone 7 with the non-clicking home button. The next update will probably fix this problem so no need for everyone to go resetting phones and thinking they have a hardware problem.

Just be patient.

Cheers
[doublepost=1490976771][/doublepost]
But the question is for how long are we going to wait for the Update to resolve the issue. Using the Assistive Touch is so annoying eishh.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1490976771][/doublepost]

But the question is for how long are we going to wait for the Update to resolve the issue. Using the Assistive Touch is so annoying eishh.
Have you tried resetting all settings or even reinstalling as new?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes I have tried all. The applications I am using have all been installed as on a new phone after reset settings and clearing content.
What about actually reinstalling iOS 10.3 (via iTunes, perhaps even using recovery mode or something like that)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.