Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Too many with home button issues to risk it at the moment on my main phone when 10.2 is working just sweet.
Too many? This is rather a small small number. Often enough there are even more people talking about something that the vast majority still doesn't experience. That said, if you are quite happy with what you already have, then that's all good and fine. Simply that this rather small probability of an issue is basically no more and likely even less than a probability of essentially any issue with any update.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Not to mention the security fixes contained in 10.3. Personally I would, and did, update just for that (among other things).

In any case, 10.2.1 is still being signed (as far as I'm aware), so it wouldn't hurt to try. Just my two cents, obviously.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Too many? This is rather a small small number. Often enough there are even more people talking about something that the vast majority still doesn't experience. That said, if you are quite happy with what you already have, then that's all good and fine. Simply that this rather small probability of an issue is basically no more and likely even less than a probability of essentially any issue with any update.
Forgive me ..but the small number of posts on here is not representing of everyone with the problem as most iPhone users worldwide don't use this forum. The fact that there are quite a few users out of the tiny fraction of worldwide iPhone users that frequent this forum suggests it's quite wide spread on 10.3 and slightly more of a risk than problems on the previous updates (probably due to a new file system). I didn't see numerous posts about home button problems on previous version of iOS 10. Sure there's always the battery issue posts with any version .. but I'll wait until they iron out the bugs properly I think on the new file system, I run iOS 10.3 on my spare iPhone 5s but I'm not being a 'beta' tester on my daily use phone which needs to run smoothly.
Cheers

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Forgive me ..but the small number of posts on here is not representing of everyone with the problem as most iPhone users worldwide don't use this forum. The fact that there are quite a few users out of the tiny fraction of worldwide iPhone users that frequent this forum suggests it's quite wide spread on 10.3 and slightly more of a risk than problems on the previous updates (probably due to a new file system). I didn't see numerous posts about home button problems on previous version of iOS 10. Sure there's always the battery issue posts with any version .. but I'll wait until they iron out the bugs properly I think on the new file system, I run iOS 10.3 on my spare iPhone 5s but I'm not being a 'beta' tester on my daily use phone which needs to run smoothly.
Cheers
The small number of posts here are also a tiny tiny subgroup of a subgroup meaning that it doesn't mean that everything just scales largely based on there being many more users who aren't part of forums. For things that are even somewhat widespread there are often many more places even just online that start discussing them. There might very well be something new/different in a particular version for some users/devices for some reason, but it doesn't really say much as to the frequency or probably of it, and in many cases even beyond battery type of things, there will always be some that have this issue or that issue of some sort after an update here or there that many others won't have.

Again, none of this is to say someone needs to upgrade or shouldn't upgrade or anything like that, simply to say that while some issues might be new here or there, their existence for some people/devices is more or less in line with what happens with many updates. There are certainly more widespread issues on some occasions, and they generally end up getting corresponding coverage (and usually even earlier on).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I read the discussions on here, and I'm going to agree with Deano on this one. Fact is, even if an issue arises with an iOS update that is being reported on a forum or forum(s), it's still an issue that's clearly being discussed for the sake of what other users are reporting. There is no way to measure the magnitude of an issue based off a sub group of members, that said, it is enough of a concern where it's becoming more a well known issue with the home button that it is gaining attention (Not just on MacRumors). The only way to really congregate an issue, is to spread the word on the Internet, being that's a middle ground for users alike to report across the board of something that is affecting a "Small" group of iPhone users.

The unknown factor is, what is considered small or what is considered substantial when others are experiencing an issue. Fact is, I also typically don't update until I see reports based off of the other users are reporting. The event of the home button having concerns that his software related, to me that's more of a major issue being how pivotal the home button service. So I would agree and wait until a future iOS release hopefully addresss this issue.

Reactions: deano1972

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I read the discussions on here, and I'm going to agree with Deano on this one. Fact is, even if an issue arises with an iOS update that is being reported on a forum or forum(s), it's still an issue that's clearly being discussed for the sake of what other users are reporting. There is no way to measure the magnitude of an issue based off a sub group of members, that said, it is enough of a concern where it's becoming more a well known issue with the home button that it is gaining attention (Not just on MacRumors). The only way to really congregate an issue, is to spread the word on the Internet, being that's a middle ground for users alike to report across the board of something that is affecting a "Small" group of iPhone users.

The unknown factor is, what is considered small or what is considered substantial when others are experiencing an issue. Fact is, I also typically don't update until I see reports based off of the other users are reporting. The event of the home button having concerns that his software related, to me that's more of a major issue being how pivotal the home button service. So I would agree and wait until a future iOS release hopefully addresss this issue.
Let's put it this way, when a small percentage of users got failures updating to some version within the same day there were already multiple articles on various tech sites beyond some tech forums talking about it, even though it was still something that wasn't affecting the majority. Has anything even close to that been the case in relation to this? Even the thread here is a rather short one, meaning the even the majority of people who frequent these forums and often look out for issues and discuss them don't seem to be experiencing this.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Let's put it this way, when a small percentage of users got failures updating to some version within the same day there were already multiple articles on various tech sites beyond some tech forums talking about it, even though it was still something that wasn't affecting the majority. Has anything even close to that been the case in relation to this? Even the thread here is a rather short one, meaning the even the majority of people who frequent these forums and often look out for issues and discuss them don't seem to be experiencing this.

I don't know or see the relevance of a short thread being indicative of what is considered Of a "Small" issue. Fact is, the issue does exist, unbeknownst to you or I, , there is no definitive way of knowing the severity of the issue, unless you see actual numbers. So everything is in theory or speculation based otherwise.

Reactions: deano1972

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't know or see the relevance of a short thread being indicative of what is considered Of a "Small" issue. Fact is, the issue does exist, unbeknownst to you or I, , there is no definitive way of knowing the severity of the issue, unless you see actual numbers. So everything is in theory or speculation based otherwise.
That kind of goes back to what I brought up earlier: there are often some issues that some people experience after updates, which often don't end up affecting many others. Without there being something more to it all beyond what's in a thread like this one, it doesn't seem like there's anything to indicate that this is something bigger than those types of issues.

Reactions: simonsi

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
That kind of goes back to what I brought up earlier: there are often some issues that some people experience after updates, which often don't end up affecting many others. Without there being something more to it all beyond what's in a thread like this one, it doesn't seem like there's anything to indicate that this is something bigger than those types of issues.
To cut this short .. the fact is 'some' users have a home button issue with iOS 10.3 and it's something I don't wish to experience so I'm sitting this one out and waiting for a future update since my phone runs great on 10.2
Cheers

Reactions: 44267547

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To cut this short .. the fact is 'some' users have a home button issue with iOS 10.3 and it's something I don't wish to experience so I'm sitting this one out and waiting for a future update since my phone runs great on 10.2
Cheers
And that's all good and fine, as I mentioned in my original reply.

Tashen

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2017
Durban, South Africa

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 5.19.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 5.19.05 PM.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 272

johan67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
It would seem that this problem is related to the sim-card and most probably to Telkom Mobile users in South Africa.

Ofurokun

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2017
Singapore
It would seem that this problem is related to the sim-card and most probably to Telkom Mobile users in South Africa.
Yes, I would agree.... probably relatdd to the SIM card, specifically the portion that makes it display stuff underneath the time on the home screen (in my case for roaming overseas).

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 242

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, I would agree.... probably relatdd to the SIM card, specifically the portion that makes it display stuff underneath the time on the home screen (in my case for roaming overseas).
How does displaying something in the screen have an effect on how the home button works on the phone? That's a rather odd one.

Reactions: simonsi

Looney01

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015

I can confirm that I am on Telkom Mobile and experience this issue. Is there any known fix for this?

renedev

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
South Africa
I can confirm that I am on Telkom Mobile and experience this issue. Is there any known fix for this?

Yes, I have two devices on Telkom Mobile, and both of them have the unresponsive home button after updating.

*update* Took the sim out of one of the phones and the home button hasn't given any problems.
the other device still has the issue.

going to pop into Telkom and see if they will swop the sim

Last edited:

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
10.3 made my iPhone 6 devices sluggish and has rendered the Home button difficult to operate: it now takes several tries to get the phone to unlock.

Yes, I have deleted and redid my fingers with Touch ID.

I am backing up one iPhone 6 right now before wiping it and setting it up as new to see if that help (no restore).

johan67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I have not personally done a SIM-swap but on the Apple Forum 2 people tried it with no effect. This problem seems to affect only a small number of users on certain networks around the world. In South Africa, Telkom Mobile users are the unlucky ones. I have contacted Telkom via Facebook but they just said: "Do a SIM-swap". We can only hope that Apple is aware of this problem and will fix it in 10.3.2. If you want to fix this problem now, move to another network provider.

Looney01

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015
I have not personally done a SIM-swap but on the Apple Forum 2 people tried it with no effect. This problem seems to affect only a small number of users on certain networks around the world. In South Africa, Telkom Mobile users are the unlucky ones. I have contacted Telkom via Facebook but they just said: "Do a SIM-swap". We can only hope that Apple is aware of this problem and will fix it in 10.3.2. If you want to fix this problem now, move to another network provider.

Or just submit a bug report to Apple?

johan67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
You stand a better chance of having it fixed by Apple by submitting a bug report then by doing nothing but hoping that it will be fixed.

I agree.

Bug has been submitted to Apple as bug No.:

johan67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
There seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. A few users have reported that iOS 10.3.2 Beta 4 resolves this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.