Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThankYouRob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
I saw a similar thread on Reddit, thought it'd be interesting to see what others here give for suggestions/feedback. What are the first songs that you will play on your HomePod?

I was thinking of testing the range with a variety:
Portugal. The Man "Purple Yellow Red and Blue" (good range of low-mid)
Some remastered Pink Floyd
Stone Temple Pilots "Core" (25th Annv Remaster)
As far as low-end goes, maybe some Run the Jewels, Yelawolf, Dr. Dre.

How about you?

Reactions: rdy0329

ThankYouRob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
I'm a guy an I love Gordon Lightfoot, and my wife just shakes her head when I put it on. Of course what confuses her, is that I would have some death metal on prior to playing Lightfoot :p

Hey, gotta respect the wide variety. In my house you'll hear some Drifters and Otis Redding one day and then some Outkast and Jay-Z the next day. Good music is good music.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Artist: Bonobo
Songs: Prelude and Kiara

Will be able to tell if the HomePod makes the right sounds for me in a couple of seconds.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Mars, The Bringer of War from Holst The Planets Op32 performed by Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony Orchestra. This has been my go-to test track for new hi-fi since it came out in 1987.

Reactions: AppleRobert

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
Kansas:1978 Live: Leftoverture.................the entire album.
Both Apple Music and the original album on a turntable.
The range and instrumentation provide an amazing audio and instrumentation test applicable to various music genres. And yes, I will also be doing a comparison with the Play 1 Sonos speakers, since so many here seem to think that they are such a good alternative to the HomePod. In fairness, however, that may have to wait until Apple provides the capability for stereo.

I was just asked for specific tracks: The Wall; Carry On Wayward Son; Cheyenne Anthem

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeState

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
Aphex Twin "Windowlicker - EP" - saw this being used to test headphones, it covers a lot of ground in 6 minutes.

Then I'm going to listen to Taylor Swift's "reputation" album because I listen to it most days on Beats Studio3s (please don't judge me).

Reactions: BillGates1969

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Gotta keep the wife happy - “Hey Siri, play some Gordon Lightfoot”.
When i was growing up in the 70's my Mam was mad on Gordon Lightfoot, so i have heard a lot of his songs. I have hardly ever met anyone else that has heard of him.

The first record i will be playing on the 9th will be BAD (Live) by U2 from Wide Awake in America.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I’ve got a playlist with about 350 songs right now that I’m gonna play I. The HomePod to test the audio quality.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Likely to be, for tradition's sake, John Lennon's "Instant Karma!" even though it's actually a pretty poorly engineered track and you can hear the main vocal mike oversaturating repeatedly.

But then next it's likely to be Marius Flothuis's "Pour le tombeau d’Orphée" for solo harp because I want to hear a lossless digital recording with considerable dynamic range sent losslessly via Airplay to the HomePod.

https://www.wqxr.org/story/266854-valerie-milot-harping-aquarelles/

It's been a while since I've had a decent sound setup, so I haven't felt too constrained by MP3s at 256Kbs. But now I've spent the weekend losslessly reripping my classical stuff (including the box set my avatar comes from), because a good speaker and a lossless connection (Airplay transmits at full CD quality) finally make it worth the extra storage. I'm using a 2010-era Mac Mini with an SSD swapped in for my music server, wired to my router. Streaming isn't an issue for reasons I've gone into before* and Siri isn't an issue because I'm not going to be asking her to choose my music.

So the HomePod gets me a good Airplay speaker and a HomeKit hub, and that's enough to get it. If I get into the habit of letting Siri control my lighting, well, okay, but that's not the point, really.

*insert here my usual screed about how track/album/artist is a round peg in the work/movement/composer/performer square hole, how classical metadata is an excruciating mess of Frankensteinian force-fits because of it, how much metadata work you have to do by hand to get a reasonably coherent experience with classical, how logging into Apple Music causes their crap metadata to unfixably vomit all over your own hand-artisinal-crafted metadata until the second you log out again (No, Apple, you don't alphabetize Ludwig van Beethoven under L), and how you can't log into just iTunes Match and not Apple Music so you can't use iTunes Match without the Apple Music Metadata Curse and that puts iTunes Match right off the table.

Reactions: JPGR_Fan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.