Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Anything Imagine Dragons or maybe Run Boy Run by Woodkid.

I second this! Imagine Dragons - Shots (feat. Broiler) [Broiler Remix] is truly an amazing on a decent set of speakers or headphones.

Too bad my HomePod that is supposed to be delivered tomorrow still says "Label Created". . No movement yet.

Kermit262

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Central Ohio
Gotta go with Frank Sinatra and a nice Big Band accompaniment - just not sure which song yet. Then for the wife, Yorktown from the musical Hamilton.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Here’s my Top 100. It’s a mix of old and new, many remasters and 24/96hz tracks that may not make the AM playlist, so I’ve included screenshots. These are in order by musical flow, not by rank. In total about 8 hours that will show off the range of any HiFi system, but weighted towards showing of the soundstage of the HomePod and also towards being a listenable playlist rather than a collection of pure reference tracks.

AppleMusic playlist

erikveland_2018-feb-07-0-jpg.750308

erikveland_2018-feb-07-1-jpg.750309

erikveland_2018-feb-07-2-jpg.750310

erikveland_2018-feb-07-3-jpg.750311
Thanks for the interesting list, I'll take inspiration with some stuff in it. There's a lot of thing I like, so why not try those that I don't know yet. Like it just has been said, good music is always good music

philipc121

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2009
London, UK
I let Siri start the music at the end of the set-up: Arctic Monkeys - Fake Tales of San Francisco, The Killers - Jenny Was a Friend of Mine, Bastille - Weight of Living, Pt. 2.

Not what I would have thought to chose but all great songs i haven't heard for ages!!!

Oh, and they sound great!

Edit: it's just queued up some Wolf Alice — I'm loving this!!!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
As my avatar suggests the first song I would play is When Doves Cry. :p Second would be either something from Zeppelin or the live version of Mozambique from Traffic.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Yes! I am planning to play Cut To The Feeling first.
I did this and I actually really hated the way Cut to the Feeling sounded on it. And it's one of my favorites. Maybe it's how I positioned the speaker. But it seems to isolate the vocals too much and makes them sound shrill. After you play it I'm curious to know your thoughts.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I want some jazz and classical recordings with HUGE soundstage to see if the HomePod delivers. What are the best recommendations?

Secondly, With classical music overall the HomePod does not deliver (maybe no speaker can) when the listener’s vantage point is 20 or 30 rows in the back of the hall, theater or what have you.

Thirdly, the HomePod struggles to bring out instrument detail. I realize not all music is recorded “hot” where even at mid volume instruments can sound great but it just is not enough. I want to listen to what I want per se, if I have to fish for recordings for good sound then what good is listening with the HP?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
For me it was Pink Floyd’s Wish you Were Here. That was the first track, followed by Dark Side of the Moon.
Then a couple albums by a band I used to roadie with - Blues and Rhythm and Blues (so I could compare the sound to something I know inside out.)

Then Pink Floyd’s Pulse.
Then Eric Church’s Chief (shut up, I like country :D)
Then Eagles - Hotel California.
Followed by Avicii and Tiesto.
Finished off with Vivaldi’s Four Seasons.
(Yes I have an eclectic taste in music.)

Now it’s just anything and everything I’m in the mood for.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Might not be your first song, but I recommend cranking the volume, playing Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight, and then sit back and wait... :)

EDIT - for any not familiar with the song, don't give up on it, just let it play and enjoy...

Last edited:
Reactions: ErikGrim and Arran

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Might not be your first song, but I recommend cranking the volume, playing Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight, and then sit back and wait... :)

I’ll give that a go, when the wife’s out. She doesn’t half complain about music above a bloody whisper - she’s not a fan of noise in general. But it’s been a while since I’ve listened to Phil so probably overdue.

Reactions: Arran

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I’ll give that a go, when the wife’s out. She doesn’t half complain about music above a bloody whisper - she’s not a fan of noise in general. But it’s been a while since I’ve listened to Phil so probably overdue.
My wife's the same, I have to get in my "Hey Siri, turn the volume to 100%" requests when she's out. I was just sitting thinking about songs that would be good to demo the HomePod, scrolling through my library and I saw Phil sitting there and it was like the light bulb in a cartoon. The best bit, if you haven't listened to it for a long time, is the anticipation...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.