Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Here’s my Top 100. It’s a mix of old and new, many remasters and 24/96hz tracks that may not make the AM playlist, so I’ve included screenshots. These are in order by musical flow, not by rank. In total about 8 hours that will show off the range of any HiFi system, but weighted towards showing of the soundstage of the HomePod and also towards being a listenable playlist rather than a collection of pure reference tracks.

AppleMusic playlist

ErikVeland_2018-Feb-07 0.jpg
ErikVeland_2018-Feb-07 1.jpg
ErikVeland_2018-Feb-07 2.jpg
ErikVeland_2018-Feb-07 3.jpg

Reactions: se99jmk

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I haven't made one yet, but I'll definitely be stealing a few of these. All those tracks off Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots are a great call.

I was actually wondering earlier today how Zaireeka would play across 4 (or even 8!) of these once the pairing and multi-room are ready. I'd imagine that might be a bit overwhelming in anything but the largest of rooms, but I sure would like to try!

Reactions: ErikGrim

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I would not expect much out of this unit, if it could keep me happy with the sound of a piano and a woman’s voice I would be flabbergasted.

Here is to hoping, I always felt those are the hardest to reproduce accurately.

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I haven't made one yet, but I'll definitely be stealing a few of these. All those tracks off Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots are a great call!
I never really thought about how well produced that album is until I got the 24 bit version off HDtracks and really listened to it. That and the OKNOTOK were the two surprises for me in terms of sonic depth and clarity. Really looking forward to putting the HomePod through the paces with this list.

Reactions: AppleRobert

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
To be fair the standard use case is someone streaming audio from Apple Music to the Homepod. Not sure how much accuracy we're going to get anyway. People who are serious enough will have a proper stereo setup with lossless sound audio. Not the crap we're dished up on Apple Music.

Edit: On that note, what is the best way to get the best audio quality out of this speaker?

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Ok, I'll play (pun intended)..... Eagles Hotel California from their Hell Freezes Over album. The into leading into the drums... My go-to for sampling audio equipment. I've sampled this track on everything from cheap bookshelf speakers to a pair of KEF Muon. Granted different source material but still a great track.

That was my first thought as well!!!

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Think I’ll test it with The Weeknd ‘Wicked Games’ as that has some subtle instrumentals going on, as well as good parts of bass throughout. Sounds great on the Play:5 and only good on the Play:1 (which I’ll be comparing HomePod to directly).

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Here’s my Top 100. It’s a mix of old and new, many remasters and 24/96hz tracks that may not make the AM playlist, so I’ve included screenshots. These are in order by musical flow, not by rank. In total about 8 hours that will show off the range of any HiFi system, but weighted towards showing of the soundstage of the HomePod and also towards being a listenable playlist rather than a collection of pure reference tracks.

AppleMusic playlist

erikveland_2018-feb-07-0-jpg.750308

erikveland_2018-feb-07-1-jpg.750309

erikveland_2018-feb-07-2-jpg.750310

erikveland_2018-feb-07-3-jpg.750311

Last edited:

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
Ultravox - One Small Day - Great range of sound - especially on one of the remix versions.

Jwbelt

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2018
I saw a similar thread on Reddit, thought it'd be interesting to see what others here give for suggestions/feedback. What are the first songs that you will play on your HomePod?

I was thinking of testing the range with a variety:
Portugal. The Man "Purple Yellow Red and Blue" (good range of low-mid)
Some remastered Pink Floyd
Stone Temple Pilots "Core" (25th Annv Remaster)
As far as low-end goes, maybe some Run the Jewels, Yelawolf, Dr. Dre.

How about you?
[doublepost=1518156590][/doublepost]The Raven, by APP - I’m looking for that final bass note.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.