Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Stereo airpods on the Mac is the same as iPhone for me. It’ll suddenly only come out of 1 speaker for a minute, then come back, the out the other only for a few minutes.

It only lags for me if I use the AirPlay from the sound menu. If I do it from an app, it’s not laggy.
They should of made it airplay 2 system wide it’s not usable with lag, I really thought with 11.3 my wishes would be true and it would work I even brought another HomePod mini but nope let down

hieromonk

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
Hong Kong
I have 2. I HomePods, stereo for Apple TV. Perfect. I have a mini in the kitchen for Apple Music, streaming radio, cooking alarms etc. Perfect. I bought a second mini to get this big, old fashioned computer speakers off the desk. How naive i was to think a speaker made by apple would be compaywith its own compute! I have read every post in this thread, and tried a thousand different fixes. All I want is half an hour of YouTube at lunch, my system sounds and the Siri assistant. I don’t know whether I’m shocked or not that Apple didn’t first think ‘this will be the ideal Mac speaker, people will but it for that’ and make it work. This is such a ridiculous and embarrassing oversight from Apple. It is the very first thing I wanted to do with it, only to get told I’ve bought an ‘entertainment centre’, not a computer speaker. they Should have a big note on the bic that says ‘no, basically this thing won’t work with your Mac even though everything suggests it will’. Homepods are great speakers, but until they work prop with a darn Mac they will always be evidence of the lack of joined up thinking at Apple which we have become used to.
Good news for us
Something we think it should had been at the beginning finally comes after 2 years

FINALLY a pair of HomePod will be recognized as stereo speaker on macOS

For HomePod users, macOS Big Sur 11.3 brings support for HomePod Stereo pairs, allowing a set of paired HomePods to be set as the default sound output option, with the two HomePods showing up as a single selectable speaker rather than separate as in prior versions of macOS.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
b
Good news for us
Something we think it should had been at the beginning finally comes after 2 years

FINALLY a pair of HomePod will be recognized as stereo speaker on macOS

For HomePod users, macOS Big Sur 11.3 brings support for HomePod Stereo pairs, allowing a set of paired HomePods to be set as the default sound output option, with the two HomePods showing up as a single selectable speaker rather than separate as in prior versions of macOS.
but it doesn't work right, the lag is insane and slow the delay is audio is bad, this is not full airplay 2 as you cant use MacBook speakers and HomePods at the same time and when moved to stereo HomePods video sync is way out so you cant watch it, this is not a full airplay 2 system output so its kinda useless

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I wish it was airplay 2 so watching YouTube you could have stereo HomePods plus MacBook speakers like you can do on music app, then you have the treble from MacBook speakers and mid and lows from HomePods it sounds epic in the music app, if they made this airplay 2 native support then you could select multiple outputs at once as main system output but you cant its just stereo HomePods with airplay 1 support so not worth it

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
but it doesn't work right, the lag is insane and slow the delay is audio is bad, this is not full airplay 2 as you cant use MacBook speakers and HomePods at the same time and when moved to stereo HomePods video sync is way out so you cant watch it, this is not a full airplay 2 system output so its kinda useless

It seems kinda bogus that they would announce this as an official feature in this release and not have it actually work. They are either still working out the bugs, or it seems like it would just get pulled from being listed as feature on the actual release.

Reactions: Kylo83

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
New beta out today, so will see how that goes. It’s likely they’re looking to get the released out at end of the month with iOS 14.5 and the new iPads.

medialook

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2017
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Stupid HomePod mini is still spannering with working perfectly as a stereo pair. I'm still having it decide to suddenly switch from audio out of both, to just the left for a few seconds, then normal then just to the right for 20 seconds. This is when natively streaming from Podcasts or Music.
I have the same. It is frustrating. Really regretting this purchase and to me it's the worst Apple purchase from all my devices. Problems from Day 1. I should have return it right away but was hoping Apple will improve it. Will be selling it soon. It works better with the phone but ideally I would like to have support for Spotify as default app. Awful experience....

medialook

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2017
D
Did the latest beta help with this topic??

Looking for a set of desktop computer speakers, and most of the desktop speaker landscape out there looks like leftover inventory form circa 2000.

2 HomePod minis seems like a practical solution (in theory), that doesn't look hideous.
Don't buy them for this reason. It's disappointing. Works really bad. Connection dropping. Disconnecting speakers, randomly dropping left or right out, delays, I've tried to use it with final cut for video editing - it is unusable, even watching YouTube is a problem. Not sure how Apple could bring such a failure

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
D

Don't buy them for this reason. It's disappointing. Works really bad. Connection dropping. Disconnecting speakers, randomly dropping left or right out, delays, I've tried to use it with final cut for video editing - it is unusable, even watching YouTube is a problem. Not sure how Apple could bring such a failure
They were never advertised as desktop speakers...?

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
final release will still be unusable
That's a bummer. The versatility of being able to use them like that seemed promising.

Anyone have any other recommendations for desktop speakers if we have to stick to the old school way?

JuicelessMango

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2018
They were never advertised as desktop speakers...?

This is a horrible take lol. They are able to be used as a stereo pair for music and for the Apple TV. The fact that Apple didn't realize people would want to use them for MacBook or iMac speakers is just unacceptable. It should of worked from the start and not something we have to wait on an update for.

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
This is a horrible take lol. They are able to be used as a stereo pair for music and for the Apple TV. The fact that Apple didn't realize people would want to use them for MacBook or iMac speakers is just unacceptable. It should of worked from the start and not something we have to wait on an update for.
I mean there's a reason why wireless desktop speakers aren't a thing. The latency is unacceptable for anything you need sound to be not behind, like UI sounds or gaming. Video where you can avoid the delay by syncing to the latency and music are basically fine - but for anything else this is an extremely hard problem to solve. They haven't even solved this on the Apple TV yet with their hacky dedicating 20% of the bandwidth on top of AP2 to try and have the HomePods keep up with the UI sounds - and they still crackle.

It's an almost impossible problem to solve.

Reactions: vitale

vitale

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013
I mean, I finally got on beta 8 of 11.3 tonight and I still never expected seamless sound? As someone that has used my mini stereo pair for nearly three months with an iPhone that will auto-compensate for its wireless lag and delay playback for audio to be transmitted to both minis...I never expected differently from my iMac? If anything, the latency was unsurprising. I'm not here for on-demand sound bc I feel that I've acclimated to the limitations of the tech at hand. I just like that my Mac(s) can now transmit sound to the pair from any app, and I don't need to source third-party paid alternatives. Life got better for me when I learned to reconcile what I received rather than damning it relentlessly.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I mean, I finally got on beta 8 of 11.3 tonight and I still never expected seamless sound? As someone that has used my mini stereo pair for nearly three months with an iPhone that will auto-compensate for its wireless lag and delay playback for audio to be transmitted to both minis...I never expected differently from my iMac? If anything, the latency was unsurprising. I'm not here for on-demand sound bc I feel that I've acclimated to the limitations of the tech at hand. I just like that my Mac(s) can now transmit sound to the pair from any app, and I don't need to source third-party paid alternatives. Life got better for me when I learned to reconcile what I received rather than damning it relentlessly.
It uses airplay 1 so it’s not worth it; it’s not system wide airplay 2 support

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I mean there's a reason why wireless desktop speakers aren't a thing. The latency is unacceptable for anything you need sound to be not behind, like UI sounds or gaming. Video where you can avoid the delay by syncing to the latency and music are basically fine - but for anything else this is an extremely hard problem to solve. They haven't even solved this on the Apple TV yet with their hacky dedicating 20% of the bandwidth on top of AP2 to try and have the HomePods keep up with the UI sounds - and they still crackle.

It's an almost impossible problem to solve.
Intersting and valid points. I'm sure it is very difficult and why it doesn't work yet.

What is interesting though is the Apple must have thought they could solve it since they announced it as an official feature of the release.

Perhaps they were wrong and it will be shelved like other OS features that get announced and eventually tabled or released years later.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
the full release notes of 11.3 doesn't even mention anything about stereo HomePods, so something tells me they don't want people doing it lol its a major change and why they haven't said anything about it is strange

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
the full release notes of 11.3 doesn't even mention anything about stereo HomePods, so something tells me they don't want people doing it lol its a major change and why they haven't said anything about it is strange
Makes me wonder if this is temporary and they’re gonna make more of a thing when they make it Airplay 2, with the new MacOS at WWDC. ???

Reactions: Kylo83

medialook

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2017
So I've decided to sell my minis amd replaced them with amazing Genelec monitors. Cost 2.5 times more but wow the sound and no more annoying latency / disconnecting issues. First Apple product which I dropped with a pleasure.

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
So I've decided to sell my minis amd replaced them with amazing Genelec monitors. Cost 2.5 times more but wow the sound and no more annoying latency / disconnecting issues. First Apple product which I dropped with a pleasure.
Why didn't you keep them as general purpose smart speakers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.