Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I have a first gen Mac Studio connected to a Studio Display and it will not turn on. I have tried plugging into different outlets and it is not working.It was connected to a surge protector, though the surge seems to be getting power, and the Mac Studio is not. I also plugged it directly into the outlet.

I want to try and retrieve whatever data is on it asap. Anyone have any suggestions for what I can do? Would I need to open it and take the SSD out to plug into some dock to another Mac?

Thanks

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Memory is part of the mother board and not technically removable. Apple may be able to fix the studio. If you have a backup, you could migrate to another computer.

I think there may be talented people that may be able to pull the chips and instal in another like Studio, but its not that simple for most of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: kat.hayes

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
The SSD is not removable. Your only option is to take the unit to Apple or an authorized repair center. They will diagnose the hardware issue. Hopefully it can be repaired for a reasonable price.
Wow. This is enough reason for me to never buy one of these again and instead get a Mac Pro...

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have a first gen Mac Studio connected to a Studio Display and it will not turn on. I have tried plugging into different outlets and it is not working.It was connected to a surge protector, though the surge seems to be getting power, and the Mac Studio is not. I also plugged it directly into the outlet.

I want to try and retrieve whatever data is on it asap. Anyone have any suggestions for what I can do? Would I need to open it and take the SSD out to plug into some dock to another Mac?

Thanks
I too have a first generation Mac Studio. You are the first person I have heard with this issue. Sorry it happened to you. About six months after I bought my Mac Studio I thought the monitor died. I could not get anything up no matter how many times I pressed the keys on the keyboard to wake it from sleep. I was ready to panic and then plugged the keyboard in and waited a few moments. Everything came up. i/ had somehow failed to notice the keyboard was low and it ran out of juice.
Hope your problem is an easy fix.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Yes, most Macs nowadays fail completely if they fail at all.
I've found this to be true as well. Generally, any hardware-related faults show themselves within hours or a few days of first turning it on (well within the return window).

The key is accepting that your brand new computer has a fault is the fastest way to resolve the issue (by returning it and waiting for it to be fixed or a new computer to be delivered—which is frustrating, but often the only resolution).

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I've found this to be true as well. Generally, any hardware-related faults show themselves within hours or a few days of first turning it on (well within the return window).

The key is accepting that your brand new computer has a fault is the fastest way to resolve the issue (by returning it and waiting for it to be fixed or a new computer to be delivered—which is frustrating, but often the only resolution).
Quite right. I'd like to add: Also purchasing an AC+ plan.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
The SSD is not removable. Your only option is to take the unit to Apple or an authorized repair center. They will diagnose the hardware issue. Hopefully it can be repaired for a reasonable price.

I know that this doesn't seem like good news, but the above advice is definitely worth pursuing.

This has all the symptoms of being just a rare hardware failure that could be easily diagnosed and repaired at a small fraction of the cost of your Studio. Don't think you mentioned how your unit was optioned out, but you might have several thousand $$ into it and the failure is likely to be something as simple as a broken connection or a bad power supply. After repair it should be good as new and capable of several years of reliable service.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
The Studio's RAM NAND is removable - 2 sticks like the iMac Pro/Mac Pro.
But the controller is in the M1 SoC. So needs Apple's Configurator voodoo to deal with any changes.
Data is encrypted and the key is in the Secure Enclave.

cf5cf00f1bef35c24c0385356918.jpg

So take it to Apple.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"This is enough reason for me to never buy one of these again and instead get a Mac Pro..."

No difference. The Mac Pro wouldn't make things any easier.
ALL Macs are like this now.
When the Mac dies, the internal drive is "non-accessible".
Either accept this reality, or move to another computing platform.

The response I was originally thinking of posting was exactly what Bigwaff said above:
Take it to an Apple Store genius bar.
I'm thinking that they may have a good chance to "revive" it.

Hmmm... (again I composed before I read the entire thread, posting anyway):
Seems to me that the Mac Studio DOES have a "removable" drive "card" inside (it actually has 2 slots, generally with only one slot populated).

You could:
1. open it
2. remove the card (which would then have to be destroyed, I doubt there's any way to recover data from "just the card")
... but then the computer would be unusable without Apple repair.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
When I worked for IBM repairing Macs under an enterprise contract there was a proprietary port covered by a small shield on most logic boards that would give you direct access to storage should the logic board fail. Take it to an Apple Store or authorized place. For authorized I'm not talking Geek Squad but a true repair shop that's authorized.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Note: "...proprietary port covered by a small shield..."
Apple removed the 'Life Boat' Customer Data Migration port when they introduced the T2 chip in 2018, and it no longer exists of Apple Silicon logic boards.

Last edited:

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Soldered on and data still there. Filevault ON should be the default on the new machines.
Since FileVault is turned on by default, does this mean that if I leave the Studio with Apple and they send it off for a couple week that my data should in theory be inaccessible to others? I do have a backup of the Mac, though there are some recent files on it that did not make it unto my most recent backup.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Since FileVault is turned on by default, does this mean that if I leave the Studio with Apple and they send it off for a couple week that my data should in theory be inaccessible to others? I do have a backup of the Mac, though there are some recent files on it that did not make it unto my most recent backup.
I realize my post isn't clear. What I'm saying is that Filevault ON is currently NOT the default…but should be.

If you never turned it on…your drive is not encrypted.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK

Thanks
Maybe a daft suggestion, but is there a fuse in the power cable....?
I don't want to unplug mine to check.....:p

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Maybe a daft suggestion, but is there a fuse in the power cable....?
I don't want to unplug mine to check.....:p
For UK version there definitely is a fuse. I'm not sure for the rest of the world including the US, the plug must be 3 prong but doesn't look like there is space for a fuse.

Either way I think the OP should try to find another cable to test, the socket / plug are standard IEC C5/C6.

As for retrieving data by removing the SSD from this original Mac Studio: no, you will never be able to do this, FileVault encryption is enabled by default always, and you need the on board security enclave key to access data within the SSD. It is in theory possible to *use* this SSD elsewhere in another Mac Studio that is, but the data must be gone.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I realize my post isn't clear. What I'm saying is that Filevault ON is currently NOT the default…but should be.

If you never turned it on…your drive is not encrypted.
This is no longer the case since T2, as noted above. The boot volume absolutely is encrypted in hardware level, the user choosing to enable FileVault is only an on-off switch in a logical level. If you have FileVault "off", once you are passed the security enclave (have given the right password / TouchID), then the system just decrypts the data for you.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Either way I think the OP should try to find another cable to test, the socket / plug are standard IEC C5/C6.
It is standard, but has a tri-connector to the Mac.

Plug.png
As suggested by others, take it to Apple Store, at least they can check another power cable.

OP: have you tried this

Last edited:

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The current Mac Pro uses almost the exact same SSD layout as the Studio, the only difference is that you can order replacement parts easier.

Or one can argue the Mac Pro’s PSU is rated much higher and is easier to be replaced so that part is slightly better.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Seems like your only option at this point is to make an appt. with an Apple Store genius bar and take it in for an "exam".

They have software (Apple Configurator 2) that MIGHT be able to "revive" it on-the-spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.