Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
It was dropped off at Apple for repair...

I do not use Time Machine, I use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup everything on the Studio, in addition to the the contents of 4 external drives connected to the Studio in an enclosure. For security, I do not keep my Carbon Copy Cloner drive connected to the Studio all the time to do continuous backups and there are some files on the Studio that were not backed up on my last CCC backup unfortunately....hoping that it was just something like a power supply that went out and when I get it back I have all of my data intact. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: b17777 and AlixSPQR

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Good to hear you do get a backup going. Most of the time a thread asking for data retrieval, the guy just doesn't backup and we are like delivering hospital calls...

And please come back with news if it is just a power supply failing or something else. My main work machine is a base M1 Max Studio, it would be great info to keep on my mind if it is also subject to risks like yours did.

Reactions: kat.hayes

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I have a first gen Mac Studio connected to a Studio Display and it will not turn on. I have tried plugging into different outlets and it is not working.It was connected to a surge protector, though the surge seems to be getting power, and the Mac Studio is not. I also plugged it directly into the outlet.

I want to try and retrieve whatever data is on it asap. Anyone have any suggestions for what I can do? Would I need to open it and take the SSD out to plug into some dock to another Mac?

Thanks

The best way would be to retrieve your time machine backup.

edit: Reading through the thread, the OP uses another backup solution.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.