Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
UK
I've been trying to think about this 'differently' for a while and think I've come up with an apple like solution that explains the lack of Touch ID and how they will help make face ID secure and it's so incredibly simple.

First and foremost, Touch ID was never meant to be destined for this phone. Touch ID was the back up incase Face ID wasn't ready. The position irrelevant

Secondly for security, it's simple. It will just always be scanning for your face. Doesn't detect your face, the phone locks. Like Touch ID, you'll be able to set up multiple faces so if you want your partner to have access to your phone, when you pass it, scans their faces recognises it so the browsing experience continues - all automatically.

Regarding payments, only the first that was registered can process a payment

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
I think it would be really cool for apple to embed the touch id into the apple logo at the back this would be so cool

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
I think it would be really cool for apple to embed the touch id into the apple logo at the back this would be so cool
It would be maximally lame and terrible design and Apple wouldn't dream of doing it.
[doublepost=1503755924][/doublepost]
I've been trying to think about this 'differently' for a while and think I've come up with an apple like solution that explains the lack of Touch ID and how they will help make face ID secure and it's so incredibly simple.

First and foremost, Touch ID was never meant to be destined for this phone. Touch ID was the back up incase Face ID wasn't ready. The position irrelevant

Secondly for security, it's simple. It will just always be scanning for your face. Doesn't detect your face, the phone locks. Like Touch ID, you'll be able to set up multiple faces so if you want your partner to have access to your phone, when you pass it, scans their faces recognises it so the browsing experience continues - all automatically.

Regarding payments, only the first that was registered can process a payment
Two words for you:

Obviously

Battery

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Can new iphone work voice recognize unlock ?????

let say i want to set >>> chow chow chow via my voice
and i just speak out >>> chow chow chow

unlock thru

:D:D

Reactions: Vanilla35

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
All of the OP suggested are already available on Samsung S8. That is, technology is ready, it's up to whether Apple chooses to.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
All of the OP suggested are already available on Samsung S8. That is, technology is ready, it's up to whether Apple chooses to.

Samsung's implementation is bit different. Not the same technology. Samsung scans a 2D picture of your face, which is why it can easily be breached with a picture. Apple is supposed to be using 3D scanning to basically capture a 3D model of your face/head. This way it is much more secure and cannot be easily hacked (unless someone makes a clay model of your head or something). It's basically a mini kinect inside your phone.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Not sure how it's going to work on the new iPhones. In real life facial recognition requires little tweaks. My drivers license picture is based on facial recognition and requires you to remove your glasses. Will Apple's version require the same? It would be a pain to have to remove my glasses all the time to activate my phone.

Reactions: decafjava

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
It's not like the NSA doesn't know everything about you already. Now they know what time I'm taking a dump. Good luck with that info.
The comment was tongue-in-cheek, but I did not think about that. Now, I'll start getting laxative advertisements just when they are needed!
[doublepost=1503840863][/doublepost]
I mean, if you really think that then cool bro. You must carry tin foil with you everywhere you go...
It was tongue-in-cheek... NSA's latest tech renders tin foil transparent to tracking.
Apparently large amounts of body hair does scatter the tracking satellites. That's why it is still so hard to find a yeti, sasquatch or skunk ape.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
It would be maximally lame and terrible design and Apple wouldn't dream of doing it.
[doublepost=1503755924][/doublepost]
Two words for you:

Obviously

Battery
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
This is an apple solution to a non-existent problem...it will not stop thieves from taking it, only using it....

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Forwarding the information to NSA and tracking everyone. Sounds good to me.

If you are seriously concerned about this you should not be carrying or using a cellphone at all. It already has the capability to record everything you say and track and transmit your movements, and record images of your face every time you look at it.

Not that I was ever worried about this in the first place, but Apple's stance on protecting personal information was proven a while back when they refused to help the US government access the phone of a terror suspect, and it took the freakin' FBI weeks to get into a locked iPhone 5c without them. So yeah, if Apple wouldn't compromise the phone of a terrorist, what are the odds that they are sending your data to the NSA? I'm all for protecting privacy, but what most paranoid people need to realize is that you're simply not important enough to be spied on.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
How will it work? It will work out to be less convenient than TouchID for payments.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
How will it work? It will work out to be less convenient than TouchID for payments.

Wait until Tuesday and we will find out, I don't believe this tho Apple will have thought about all of this. They have been working on "Face ID" for many years!

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Apple can bring face scann to iphone that mean they can do further technology than that , i believe they can do below too ....
_0kvNNCPsEcqQd8KPzgvOn2h2OYRMILsjkyy90iMPq6vxpBhWkd3LJ3_1irlAQS-CA=h900

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Biometrics really have no place on the mobile phones.

Fingerprint sensor was nothing more than a convenient feature for those who were too bothered to use pin every time they want to use the phone. Then again you have to ask yourself why do you have to lock the phone in the first place. I've never had to lock the phone in my life. But once you make your phone do-it-all in your life such as unlocking your home, turning on lights, making payments, etc. everything your phone is not supposed to do then you are ready to take the risk of your life being exposed due to single split second moment of carelessness in the Starbucks when you walkaway with your phone still being on the table. Problem is you are already exposing yourself to the company who provides you with the security from other people. Someone at Google, let's say an employee who has access to your data, can do so much more harm to you than anyone who finds your phone and sees few naked pictures. I'm talking from experience here. Social hacking in Google is thriving. Tesla is collecting all the driving data as well but the kicker is they tie it down with the owner ID no matter if it's an individual or company. So far I haven't heard from them selling the data but again I won't be surprised if they did.

"Convenience" of not having to carry cash nor keys and "Free stuff" such as webmail, maps and many other services got this society so far they are even ready to shell out $1,000 just so they could give away their life in live feed. I cannot comment on Apple but I won't be surprised if they are no different than Google. They both are no different than Android spyware flashlight app in the app store either.

Before you say to yourself "I have nothing in my life to hide from AAPL/GOOG/MSFT" then ask yourself why do you lock your phone against individuals. Consumers are at wrong here, big time wrong because they are allowing their life data to be taken up free of charge and sold over and over again. Companies can do it cause there is no dedicated law that goes against user habits mining and user cannot protect her or his data in any way. It's not much about privacy as much as it's about being used and abused in exchange for webmail account.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada

So, I want to show a friend the pictures on my phone. I unlock it and pass it to him. It locks again. I have to fo through the face enrollment for that 1 time? SMH.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
If you are seriously concerned about this you should not be carrying or using a cellphone at all. It already has the capability to record everything you say and track and transmit your movements, and record images of your face every time you look at it.

Not that I was ever worried about this in the first place, but Apple's stance on protecting personal information was proven a while back when they refused to help the US government access the phone of a terror suspect, and it took the freakin' FBI weeks to get into a locked iPhone 5c without them. So yeah, if Apple wouldn't compromise the phone of a terrorist, what are the odds that they are sending your data to the NSA? I'm all for protecting privacy, but what most paranoid people need to realize is that you're simply not important enough to be spied on.
Not concerned at all... tongue and cheek, so to say.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So, I want to show a friend the pictures on my phone. I unlock it and pass it to him. It locks again. I have to fo through the face enrollment for that 1 time? SMH.

I'm going to assume if you wanted a friend to see your phone, you'd just use the generic pin-code unlock like you do currently.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Here's a more important question. If we get our new iPhone X before the end of October, how are we going to unlock it on Halloween?? I bet Apple didn't think of that!

Yeah, and going to suck for people working at Disney who have full face makeup or masks, or people in plays that just want to take a quick look at their phone. Yeah sure typing in password, but it’s not really a solution if what the person had before was great for them and now becomes frustrating.

TouchID really would be a good backup and offer twice the security for banking, but oh well.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Samsung's implementation is bit different. Not the same technology. Samsung scans a 2D picture of your face, which is why it can easily be breached with a picture. Apple is supposed to be using 3D scanning to basically capture a 3D model of your face/head. This way it is much more secure and cannot be easily hacked (unless someone makes a clay model of your head or something). It's basically a mini kinect inside your phone.

Samsung's face recognition is not easily hacked. People are setting it up wrong. Please Read:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.an...-note-8-review-verging-on-perfection.html/amp

Samsung has been at the forefront of mobile security for years, from its Knox sandboxing technology to the latest in biometric scanning tools. The Galaxy Note 8 adds in a facial recognition feature on top of all the other biometric scanning utilities on the device. This feature isn’t new to Android, but it’s something that hasn’t been revisited in years, and Samsung has rebuilt this feature to make it more secure. While they’ve been light on details, and despite some erroneous viral videos that have been floating around the web, it’s quite difficult to trick the phone into unlocking itself with a picture or video of a registered face; so long as the right checkboxes aren’t enabled of course.

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-8-AH-NS-Screenshots-security-2.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-8-AH-NS-Screenshots-security-3.jpg

By default Samsung enables the “faster recognition” feature, something many users might skip past without realizing it. Truth be told, I can’t figure out why in the world this would be a default setting, as the more secure method isn’t just more secure, it only takes a second or two to recognize my face, even in dark conditions. The “faster recognition” mode is easy to trick with a picture or video, and certainly makes it less of a security method than it should be. This feature shouldn’t even be available, given the speed and ease of unlocking when it’s not enabled, as it opens unnecessary security holes in an otherwise very secure phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.