Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Of course he means silver. People on this forum are so pedantic.

There is Nothing wrong with being pedantic, especially for the sake of accuracy, what the OP said was incorrect, there is no ‘white’, only silver. Some can still misconstrue what someone else says, especially with text on the internet, its not difficult to do.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
Silver X couple of micro scratches here and there but running like a champ. Can’t wait for the X Plus

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My silver X has normal wear around the sides, top and bottom of the device. But I use Cap Cod cloth to wipe it down every now and then. The back of the phone has a skin on it and the front of the device is still mint.

partyboy4357

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2017
There is Nothing wrong with being pedantic, especially for the sake of accuracy, what the OP said was incorrect, there is no ‘white’, only silver. Some can still misconstrue what someone else says, especially with text on the internet, its not difficult to do.
There’s nothing wrong with it according to you. I find it exceedingly obnoxious!

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC
My silver iPhone X is holding up very well. I've got it in an Apple leather case with a glass screen protector though. I really like being able to polish out small scratches on the stainless steel band at which point it looks pristine.
I dropped my white X with a leather case while on a walk. It landed on the corner/speaker. I thought it just scuffed my case and I little of the stainless on the speaker grille... until I took the case off and found cracks in the back glass.

Until this it held up great in appearance and button function.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I dropped my white X with a leather case while on a walk. It landed on the corner/speaker. I thought it just scuffed my case and I little of the stainless on the speaker grille... until I took the case off and found cracks in the back glass.

Until this it held up great in appearance and button function.
That sucks. Apple Care? That’s odd it cracked. I dropped mine on cobblestones in Puerto Vallarta and it was fine.

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC
That sucks. Apple Care? That’s odd it cracked. I dropped mine on cobblestones in Puerto Vallarta and it was fine.
I’m on IUP so $99 to fix with AppleCare. Or I just keep it in a case and hand it down to my wife next month. We’ll see

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I’ve had my space grey since launch. No case. No problems. Just like new. I do make sure I’m more careful with it as I use it without a case.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Ask me this time next year. For $1k if it ain't holding up ok after less than a year, somethings terribly wrong.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Curious how the stainless is holding up for those of you with the silver models who use a hard plastic case or an ultra thin (Peel/Caudabe/Tozo/etc) case where you have to basically snap the case against the bezels onto the phone?

I know the silver models can be polished with a cape cod cloth, etc., but I'm curious how they withstand hard cases being put on and taken off repeatedly.

le_cagou

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2017
dropped it quite a few times with original apple leather case since I got it in december. no damages whatsoever.

but the screen is covered with micro-scratches. never had that before with any other iphone. I can remember one (1) scratch on my iphone 6s' screen. otherwise all of my iphone screens looked literally like new after one year of use. the x is clearly way (!) more sensitive than previous generations. so using a screen protector is highly recommended.

borntrouble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Germany
Funny that many people write “Mine is still brand new”, while not mentioning that they put 5 kilo of condoms around their phones.

Go naked or go home :D

Are you taking about your sexual preferences or about not protecting a phone worth $1000?

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
My X still looks and feels like it did when it was brand new. But then it has been cased since day 1.

No micro scratches on the screen, so either I've been lucky, or it's because literally nothing else goes into my pocket when the phone is in there.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Mine looks great and I got it day 1. I have for the most part not kept it in any case or skins, I usually rock my phones naked. It has some minor scratches around the stainless steel band but nothing major.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Curious how the stainless is holding up for those of you with the silver models who use a hard plastic case or an ultra thin (Peel/Caudabe/Tozo/etc) case where you have to basically snap the case against the bezels onto the phone?

I know the silver models can be polished with a cape cod cloth, etc., but I'm curious how they withstand hard cases being put on and taken off repeatedly.

Those plastic cases will gouge/lightly scratch the stainless, it’s not difficult to do, because the surgical stainless bands are actually a very dense/soft metal, similar to the 316 L stainless Apple Watch. I don’t care for those types of plastic cases, as I either prefer silicone or leather, which avoids those types of problems.

Actually those who used plastic bumper cases that surround the 316 L stainless steel Apple Watch casing, have had similar affects where it scratches the stainless casing, because of either rubbing and/or debris that can get trapped inside. But as already noted, they can easily be removed with a polishing cloth.

Reactions: puma1552

Ermir444

macrumors regular
May 12, 2017
Got mine mid-March. Performance wise its brand new, battery 100%. My only issues is the screen scratches fairly easily so get a screen protector. No other structural damage otherwise even after droping it 3-4 times with Apple leather case on.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I just within the past few days noticed three pretty significant scratches in the screen. As others have mentioned, there's definitely something different with the coating/glass used on the X because I've never had issues with screen scratches in the past. I'm generally pretty careful with my phones, although I've dropped this one a significant amount more than any phone I've had in the past.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
My Space Grey X is in great shape. I believe it has held up better than my other iPhones. I never us a case or a screen protector, so most of my phones show significant surface scratches by now. My X looks great.

I did drop it a few months ago. The little plastic "gasket" between the screen and the metal body split, but otherwise the phone showed no outward damage. Unfortunately, the left-hand side of the screen stopped responding to touch in about a 1/4" vertical strip. Oh well. Took it in to the apple store and they replaced the screen free-of-charge.

Other than that, no problems at all.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
Mine's in awesome shape. Pretty much zero scratches. I'm actually using it case free until I trade in for the Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.