Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Got the XS max around 2 months ago. Did good for the first 3 weeks. Had an Otterbox and a tempered glass screen protector. Set it on the counter one day and plugged it in to charge for a while. Took out the plug and thought I unplugged the charger. Apparently I didn't, because I heard a drop. Just like that, 4-foot drop, facedown. Luckily was working fine. Two weeks later, set it on what I thought was a flat surface. Turned around, another drop, two feet; this time, with no case on it. Still no issues.

So, how are you faring?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
None, that I can recall. Which is good, because I only ever use very minimal cases and no screen protector.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Billions of times.

I have a $3 TPU case on with reinforced corners that makes it like 1000x times harder to break the phone, since in case of an impact, it bends instead of the phone

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
None so far from my XR. I use it naked

My X was dropped once but that leather case saved it. Wasn’t a bad drop. There was one time I pulled it out awkwardly and it almost fell. I keep it in a leather case but sometimes go naked.

Have dropped all of my older iPhones though. From 4 to 7. My first drop on concrete scared the daylights out of me

Reactions: sierra_mist

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
Literally zero.

Which, btw, is the same count as the number of times I've dropped any iPhone since 2007.

I'm willing to bet the very act of having your phone in a case relaxes your attention on the phone enough to encourage the occasional drop, whereas people that don't use cases at all are less likely to drop simply because, well, they don't have a case. :)

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Iphone 7 Plus since launch and it seems to be attracted to the floor. Several different cases and tempered glass screen protectors and no damage.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
At least 10 times in 3.5 years, not including the times when sitting at a table or desk and I dropped it from less than 6 inches up.

One drop from a foot high on to concrete. Phone still looks new. Never been in a case.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
At least 10 times in 3.5 years, not including the times when sitting at a table or desk and I dropped it from less than 6 inches up.

One drop from a foot high on to concrete. Phone still looks new. Never been in a case.

Hey. You changed your avatar. Good one.

Reactions: eyoungren

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I have used a Magpul bump case on my last two Iphones, no screen shield. My current phone has only been dropped once in two years at about 3 feet, no damage. My prior phone was dropped from my shirt pocket onto cement teepad while playing disc golf, and again, no damage. I have been lucky.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
When I had an iPhone 6 Plus, twice a week. Switched to 4.7" and those, I've only dropped around 3-4 times a year (when I wear something with shallow pockets).

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Couple of times. Only fell on carpet though. Have a JETech clear case.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Just like that, 4-foot drop, facedown. Luckily was working fine. Two weeks later, set it on what I thought was a flat surface. Turned around, another drop, two feet; this time, with no case on it. Still no issues.

For those few who are "anal" about their phones, (ie, never put them in a pocket that also has keys, coins or any other material that might scratch them), they're also probably not going to drop their phones. Me, so far not of anything hard (concrete, hard wood floors, etc), never. I have dropped my phone(s) on carpet and like materials).

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
For those few who are "anal" about their phones, (ie, never put them in a pocket that also has keys, coins or any other material that might scratch them), they're also probably not going to drop their phones. Me, so far not of anything hard (concrete, hard wood floors, etc), never. I have dropped my phone(s) on carpet and like materials).

I know it’s a technicality, but it’s never fallen out of my hand. That being said, I have this phone right now because my X somehow slid out of my pocket and landed on asphalt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.