Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
My XS Max - once on the carpet in my apartment. No damage

My Note 9 - twice. Once on tiles and another time on grass. Both times no damage

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Too many times to remember. I have a glass screen protector on and a spigen plastic case. It doesn’t have any marks on it. Most of the time it’s fallen on carpeted floors at home, although it’s survived a fall down our stairs at home (my toddler) and a few falls onto the floor of a train.

Reactions: sierra_mist

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Zero so far but I’m really afraid I will drop it eventually. I don’t take risks like doing something else while handling the phone. I don’t ever multitask while having to phone in my hand, there is always time to put it inside my front pocket dedicated to it.

I have a Spigen Air Skin case which I would like to use for its slim appearance but I always end up putting on a more bulky one just in case something happens.

Also have an edge to edge screen protector on the phone and a back glass protector on the back then the case.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The max has not been dropped at all, yet. My 6s hit the concrete and steps of the subway a few times, thankfully without damage. My 5s also hit the concrete and rocks a few times thankfully without damage.

My iPad 2, however, fell kn the driveway and was in a case. Hit the pavement at exactly the right angle on the corner and shattered the screen. $279 dollars later...

Reactions: sierra_mist

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…even faceplanted…
I did that to an HTC Touch Pro I had once. Walking down the street and dropped it from chest height onto the sidewalk (concrete). Reached down to pick it up and ended up kicking it away from myself. It slid on it's face six feet before I recovered it.

Other than some slight abrasion on the metal frame around the screen it came through okay. Of course the Touch Pro had a plastic screen so there was that.

addey

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
None so far but I usually have a serious drop once every 6 months, usually getting out of the car. Always use a case for just this reason.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
If I'm wearing sports shorts my 6S occasionally slips out of my pocket onto a wooden floor when I sit down, so not from any great height. Leather case is a bit scuffed but no marks on the phone. Not bad considering its (and the case's) age.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I dunno guys, maybe I'll jinx myself with this.. But since owning the original iPhone and upgrading about every 2 years, I've never dropped my phone on a hard surface once. I'm 6'3 and have larger hands, so maybe that has something to with it.. With that said, my phone is always protected with screen protector and a quality case.

Reactions: Lekro

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
A lot of people here knock phone cases, but IMO if they do nothing else, the edge of the cases that I've had make it easier to grip the phone more securely. If you're going "naked", you need to grip phone tighter to keep it from sliding out of your hand.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Reactions: Deliro

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I’ve dropped my XR twice since getting it in January. Use a screen protector and Spigen case, no issues at all. I still remember when I worked in a warehouse having dropped my iPhone 4 on the concrete floor and being scared to pick it up. Didn’t have a case or screen protector but luckily only a scratch on the side.

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
My X has never been dropped, but the XS Max probably close to a dozen times usually on a wood floor. It’s just not as easy for me to grasp securely when picking it up as the smaller phone. Just a cracked screen protector but no other damage.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
I dropped my iPhone 3G. It slid out of my hands running across the street... I have not dropped my phone a single time since.

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
I've dropped mine a few times, but from a very low distance so nothing happened to the phone. I have a buddy who never uses a case and has never had to replace anything. It's just a matter of how you use your phone. I do see a lot of people walking around with cracked screens though so it's definitely not uncommon.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Let me share some interesting stuff.

I replace around 5-10 iPhone displays per day and I started to notice certain things about this.
How many they come in, depends on the weather (rainy day? "cracked screen with water damage" day), after weekends or long weekends (like Monday is crazy), after national holidays and season (winter is worst, probably because of people using gloves, have to take them off etc then there it goes).

Also there are types of people who can manage to be on the call while holding the phone up against their face with their shoulder while doing something else that requires two hands. That's a ticket for a screen replacement.

Many people (for some ridiculous reason) are still holding their iPhone with one hand while driving with the other. They usually end up dropping it between the seats near the handbreak (or faceplant the phone on it).

So it all comes down to handling the phone WHILE handling other things.
Don't do those I mentioned.

Funny story:
Last Saturday a customer came in with a 6 Plus that's screen was spiderweb-cracked and with the phone being bent.
He wanted a glass screen protector and a high-end Speck case for this phone.
We were explaining him the stuff about the screen protector on a cracked screen but he kept insisting. "So that it won't crack further!!44!"
You can guess the screen protector was all bubbly because of the cracks :D

He walked out spending around $70 for a case and screen protector for a bent, cracked iPhone 6 Plus.

Reactions: I7guy

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Let me share some interesting stuff.

I replace around 5-10 iPhone displays per day and I started to notice certain things about this.
How many they come in, depends on the weather (rainy day? "cracked screen with water damage" day), after weekends or long weekends (like Monday is crazy), after national holidays and season (winter is worst, probably because of people using gloves, have to take them off etc then there it goes).

Also there are types of people who can manage to be on the call while holding the phone up against their face with their shoulder while doing something else that requires two hands. That's a ticket for a screen replacement.

Many people (for some ridiculous reason) are still holding their iPhone with one hand while driving with the other. They usually end up dropping it between the seats near the handbreak (or faceplant the phone on it).

So it all comes down to handling the phone WHILE handling other things.
Don't do those I mentioned.

Funny story:
Last Saturday a customer came in with a 6 Plus that's screen was spiderweb-cracked and with the phone being bent.
He wanted a glass screen protector and a high-end Speck case for this phone.
We were explaining him the stuff about the screen protector on a cracked screen but he kept insisting. "So that it won't crack further!!44!"
You can guess the screen protector was all bubbly because of the cracks :D

He walked out spending around $70 for a case and screen protector for a bent, cracked iPhone 6 Plus.

Yeah, realized when you’ve got the phone in your hands and multiple things are in your arms or you’re trying to do more than one thing, that’s the perfect storm.

People have broken their phone from it falling inside their car though? Wow.

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Two hard drops, one on the garage floor.. on my birthday of course. Glass screen protector broke. One was last week, landed on its back on asphalt. No damage...

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Yeah, realized when you’ve got the phone in your hands and multiple things are in your arms or you’re trying to do more than one thing, that’s the perfect storm.

People have broken their phone from it falling inside their car though? Wow.
Yeah but what’s even funnier they always try to come up with excuses like “I just dropped it on the seats only and this happened!!” or just dropping it on the bed etc. What do they think are we in kindergarten and we put them in the corner facing the wall for 10 minutes? :D :D

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
About a dozen times, but Griffin and now Tech 21 are pretty awesome. I did crack the screen once in December 2017 when my 7 plus fell face down on a cobbled sidewalk but had Applecare + so that was fine.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Yeah but what’s even funnier they always try to come up with excuses like “I just dropped it on the seats only and this happened!!” or just dropping it on the bed etc. What do they think are we in kindergarten and we put them in the corner facing the wall for 10 minutes? :D :D

Lol that's pretty funny, not sure why they would make something up for you guys. It's not like you are determining whether to replace the screen on warranty. I guess some people are just naturally embarassed about clumsiness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.