Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Two hard drops, one on the garage floor.. on my birthday of course. Glass screen protector broke. One was last week, landed on its back on asphalt. No damage...

Lucky about that second one...X fell face down on asphalt in December and shattered screen. Tried to stick it out until September and by Super Bowl Sunday it was placing calls, deleting emails and opening restaurant apps to put together orders.

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Lucky about that second one...X fell face down on asphalt in December and shattered screen. Tried to stick it out until September and by Super Bowl Sunday it was placing calls, deleting emails and opening restaurant apps to put together orders.

Yikers! Even with a glass screen protector??
I managed to drop the XS Max twice again yesterday, face down on asphalt and then face up within 1 minute of each other...

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Yikers! Even with a glass screen protector??
I managed to drop the XS Max twice again yesterday, face down on asphalt and then face up within 1 minute of each other...

Had to take the screen protector off once it shattered from a different incident. Last straw with the X was when it started entering pass codes while in pocket and got me locked out for an hour.

It went straight down on the asphalt and no issues?? Incredible.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I dropped my X maybe 4 or 5 times since December 2017, I do not use cases nor screen protectors. Until last week it just had some "road rash" on the corners and a very small chip on the back. Last week it flew out of my pocket while riding my motorbike and the back glass shattered. I'm glad the screen is still whole!

Denaaaa

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
NYC
I live dangerously, no case or screen protector. Jive had my XR since launch and have dropped it so many times, all I have is a ding on the top of my phone. I’ve had every iPhone since the iPhone 5 and only once have I cracked a screen (iPhone 6s)

That said I’m not anal about my phone. I use it too much to worry about scratches and such

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have dropped my Xs a couple times on carpet, so nothing serious. Thankfully no damage was done in either situation.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
I live dangerously, no case or screen protector. Jive had my XR since launch and have dropped it so many times, all I have is a ding on the top of my phone. I’ve had every iPhone since the iPhone 5 and only once have I cracked a screen (iPhone 6s)

That said I’m not anal about my phone. I use it too much to worry about scratches and such
What colour is your XR? Do you have chipping in the frame apart from the one you mentioned?

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
I, like some others here, have a flawlessly record. I’ve dropped every iPhone I’ve ever had at least a few times. I do use cases, currently a CaseMate on my iPhone7, and I’ve not had any device crack or break. Well, there was one: my iPhone5s. I left it in my pants pocket when I did the laundry. It came out clean and dry, but never connected to the service provider again. Interestingly all other aspects of that iPhone, now essentially an iPod Touch, work without a hitch to this day in its repurposed role.

Stinsle

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
Minnesota
I dropped my Xs max twice back to back on a tile floor. Otterbox case and glass screen protector were on the phone. Screen protector survived, but, the phone screen cracked. Thankfully I had bought Apple Care for the first time.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Plenty times. Screen is cracked in the bottom left corner, from a very low height (2ft max) fall while getting out of the car (phone was in an Apple leather case). After that, I stopped using a case and put on a slickwrap for better grip. Never use screen protectors, can't stand them.

Since then the phone has fallen multiple times, with no further damage.

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2013
At least 25x, iphone 7 in apple leather case. I actually dropped it as I was closing my car door and closed the door on the phone, bent it. Still bent and still working fine, been that way for about 7 months now.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I have dropped my X on the carpeted floor a few times - not an issue. I have fumbled it out of my hands once and had it land face first against a counter top - that cracked the glass screen protector. Recently dropped out of my lap onto the metal leg of a chair. Cracked the screen protector again. 2x new screen protectors so far. I'm usually very careful when handling my iPhone. I keep it in a UAG case.

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
I drop my phone all the time and thus use a case (UAG and glass screen protector). Never once cracked a screen or damaged an iPhone though in the 10 years or so I've been using them (knock on wood). I did, however, crack a glass screen protector once.

ajguckian

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Hudson Valley
I'm probably averaging a drop every 36 hours or so. Nothing probably higher than 5 feet. Otterbox, zagg glass. Don't even have a crack in the zagg yet, which is unusual for me. I have the Max as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.