Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's coming to Texas, scheduled to hit Just North of Corpus Christi, Texas tonight (Friday). I realize many of you are already up to speed. ;) Right now it's a Category 2 storm. I live several hundred miles North in the Houston suburbs, and we are expecting flooding events here as it is projected to slide up the coast, and possibly head back out into the Gulf for Louisiana.

data=sFEY1AZFUE-7FGYlFapHiZOzUsRdA-ZjiaXIL8_jNMgAKrFPXUjgvPWVjYbZy1CdUWYTW3EnM9ubl7ByCYJNBQ2tSeUwkQHJaaSNaOIRDi_R0dQzTDiWH1l6R9AlnL06wqXo1gY-DFJiLVQzSUPq5HvDW_6v2iduY4FhCk0606nZSv8w5qBQm8RxeSm_4WLCdE0ae_37j2OYAYxYS9vAVNkcOfYzHMKclLqcmBMQkO1_yC4

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I've seen predictions of pretty severe flooding even if the hurricane itself doesn't do a lot of damage. Stay safe.

Quite the understatement. In 1983 Hurricane Alicia parked over Houston caused a flood like you would not believe. Harvey is more powerful and is slated to stick around longer than Alicia did. We're looking at 4-5 days of rain. Compared to what I thinking is coming, Alicia would be the JV squad. I should have built that ark out of gopher wood.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Quite the understatement. In 1983 Hurricane Alicia parked over Houston caused a flood like you would not believe. Harvey is more powerful and is slated to stick around longer than Alicia did. We're looking at 4-5 days of rain. Compared to what I thinking is coming, Alicia would be the JV squad. I should have built that ark out of gopher wood.

There was still lots of food in Krogers, but there is definitely a run on canned food. You don't normally see the grocery store parking lot full at 8am.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
It has moved to a Cat 4 now. The thing you don't want is the storm to stagnate over the coast line, you want it to move on through. Stay safe folks.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Spoke to someone from Corpus Christi around noon today and they said it was a CAT 3 then. Scary stuff since it's now a CAT 4.

It has moved to a Cat 4 now. The thing you don't want is the storm to stagnate over the coast line, you want it to move on through. Stay safe folks.
Why is that?
[doublepost=1503705423][/doublepost]
There was still lots of food in Krogers, but there is definitely a run on canned food. You don't normally see the grocery store parking lot full at 8am.
True. Usually I see it full only when there's a good sale on decent commercial beer. Local store had a sale on Sierra Nevada and some other microbrew style commercials last weekend. I spent 30 minutes finding a spot. I'd imagine camping stoves would be the first to go since you wouldn't want to run a stove in that kind of weather. Or would you? I'd probably stick to canned and bottled water, and beer instead of drinking filtered tap or home RO water.

Reactions: Huntn and JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Spoke to someone from Corpus Christi around noon today and they said it was a CAT 3 then. Scary stuff since it's now a CAT 4.

Why is that?
True. Usually I see it full only when there's a good sale on decent commercial beer. Local store had a sale on Sierra Nevada and some other microbrew style commercials last weekend. I spent 30 minutes finding a spot. I'd imagine camping stoves would be the first to go since you wouldn't want to run a stove in that kind of weather. Or would you? I'd probably stick to canned and bottled water, and beer instead of drinking filtered tap or home RO water.

If the storm stagnates it will dump a lot more rain on that position.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Not good at all. Especially if the water is dumped at a high speed all at once instead of it trickling and then getting stronger. Allowing the sun baked earth to at least become a sponge. I predict some major flooding. :(

Reactions: JamesMike

ETechMaster2002

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2016
CORPUS UPDATE:
I’m completely out of power, in fact 51K+ is out. As for Corpus, we are experiencing the less worse side of the storm, south from the Eye.

Further inland Corpus, you can walk / run if you must walk to your car for AC or charging your devices to keep up with local news or for radio coverage. But don’t get me wrong, this is inland, don’t go running shirtless on Ocean Drive (right next to the coast).

Inland also, not raining as much just winds I can compare with a Cat 1, or Cat 2.

What’s really horrible however, is it Corpus Christi. Rockport is going to be devastated in nice terms. The Rockport city manager is talking to my local news station. And he is saying he is literally seeing buildings being destroyed. He also said that a family is trapped in their home because a tree is trapping them and emergency crews can’t to them until after the storm.

Also, power is coming back on surprisingly for flour bluff and other areas so I’m guessing they are moving towards the city. Fingers cross. And prayers for the Rockport Area.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I can't speak to damage where the storm came on shore, but this appears to be turning into a huge rain event. There are projections of possibly 50" of rain in a band between Corpus Christi and Houston.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Last time i heard this is now downgraded to a Category 1 ?

Yah. But that's because it made landfall and then stalled out bumping into a high pressure area so now it parks, keeps picking up moisture from the Gulf and dumping literally feet of rain untkl that combination of systems breaks up. What a horrendous mess.

For any who can use this info (not meant to politlicize this thread in any way)

Washington Post has temporarily suspended limit on number of articles one can read for free, and they are carrying lots of reports on Hurricane Harvey on their homepage.​

Reactions: determined09

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Why is that?

Houston is getting the bands now, like a monsoon outside. Fortunately the winds are not excessive here and still have power, hopefully that continues. Krogers was empty but open. Fixed us a hurricane survival breakfast this morning (chorizo, eggs, and tortillas). ;) ...not to make light of the hardship some are facing at this moment.

IMG_0103.JPG

Considered buying a generator and decided not too. You either have to spend about $5k well in advance to have a natural gas powered generator tied into your house, or spend about $700 on a portable, stockpile a lot of gasoline, and be prepared to drive long distances (after the storm) to get more.

I can't say I'm roughing it yet... fingers crossed.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Houston is getting the bands now, like a monsoon outside. Fortunately the winds are not excessive here and still have power, hopefully that continues. Krogers was empty but open. Fixed us a hurricane survival breakfast this morning (chorizo, eggs, and tortillas). ;) ...not to make light of the hardship some are facing at this moment.

Considered buying a generator and decided not too. You either have to spend about $5k well in advance to have a natural gas powered generator tied into your house, or spend about $700 on a portable, stockpile a lot of gasoline, and be prepared to drive long distances (after the storm) to get more.

I can't say I'm roughing it yet... fingers crossed.

Oh, my word. Chorizo and eggs. What are you, my savior angel? I'm on day one of cutting back on my summer luxuries in terms of rich food and you go ahead and post this? Shame on you, Hunt, shame!

Yeah, either one works, but you also need to get your investment. Gasoline generators, at least with Honda engines, are fairly fuel efficient. They get better every other year. After our remodel, I purchased a whole house high performance Generac generator with its own doggy shed that feeds off natural gas and has the option to hook up propane tanks. As soon as it detects a dip in voltage going to the house, it kicks in. Most times you can't tell the power went out. Ideally, you'll still want a UPS for critical stuff like computers.

FWIW, we spent way more than 5K but we bought it in 2009. Prices are way more affordable now. I've yet to get my investment out of it, but peace of mind is what I'm after. Earlier this year, we weren't even aware the power had gone out until one of our neighbors said something about it after we were in the eye. This was during the massive downpour we were experiencing. I've slowly converted a few of my neighbors to buying these types of units, even if it's a small one that only supplies enough power to critical stuff.

The amount of need we've placed on electricity and internet in the last decade is mind boggling. Pretty much why we still use a copper line with a couple backups aside from my fax needs. VOIP services by ISP/Cable companies are useless once packet loss or hop delays come into play.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oh, my word. Chorizo and eggs. What are you, my savior angel? I'm on day one of cutting back on my summer luxuries in terms of rich food and you go ahead and post this? Shame on you, Hunt, shame!

Yeah, either one works, but you also need to get your investment. Gasoline generators, at least with Honda engines, are fairly fuel efficient. They get better every other year. After our remodel, I purchased a whole house high performance Generac generator with its own doggy shed that feeds off natural gas and has the option to hook up propane tanks. As soon as it detects a dip in voltage going to the house, it kicks in. Most times you can't tell the power went out. Ideally, you'll still want a UPS for critical stuff like computers.

FWIW, we spent way more than 5K but we bought it in 2009. Prices are way more affordable now. I've yet to get my investment out of it, but peace of mind is what I'm after. Earlier this year, we weren't even aware the power had gone out until one of our neighbors said something about it after we were in the eye. This was during the massive downpour we were experiencing. I've slowly converted a few of my neighbors to buying these types of units, even if it's a small one that only supplies enough power to critical stuff.

The amount of need we've placed on electricity and internet in the last decade is mind boggling. Pretty much why we still use a copper line with a couple backups aside from my fax needs. VOIP services by ISP/Cable companies are useless once packet loss or hop delays come into play.
If and when the power goes out, the built in unit would be sweet as I mull over is it worth the investment. The last hurricane that came in over Galveston (Ike) power was out for a couple of days (we were out of town) , but it took a week for some people to get power back.

Reactions: 0388631

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Not good at all. Especially if the water is dumped at a high speed all at once instead of it trickling and then getting stronger. Allowing the sun baked earth to at least become a sponge. I predict some major flooding. :(

Again not meant to politicize but an additiional problem w/ post-hurricane flooding tends to be contamination from Superfund sites and chemical waste reservoirs spreading past original bounds. Need to know your local water sources and if you have wells, get them retested after the not-dust settles...

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Again not meant to politicize but an additiional problem w/ post-hurricane flooding tends to be contamination from Superfund sites and chemical waste reservoirs spreading past original bounds. Need to know your local water sources and if you have wells, get them retested after the not-dust settles...
No wells. No septic tanks. City outlawed them decades ago. Everything's hooked up to the city's multiple treatment system. We have some of the cleanest water in state let alone across the western portion. I think San Diego has the worst in the US apart from Flint.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
No wells. No septic tanks. City outlawed them decades ago. Everything's hooked up to the city's multiple treatment system. We have some of the cleanest water in state let alone across the western portion. I think San Diego has the worst in the US apart from Flint.

Great for CA but you are not in the area being flooded by Harvey... 30" of flood water overwhelms a lot of water and waste treatment facilities never mind the oil/gas processing-related reservoirs for effluents. I'd sure be drinking bottled water for awhile after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.