Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Do you have a battery system to bridge the startup time on the generator?

Only for essentials. Kitchen and computers, mainly. I'm not fussy about TV or anything like that. I am looking towards a whole house battery setup, but not sure if it's wise to purchase now. Tesla makes whole home batteries and a variety of companies offer them here. Total cost is under $15,000 for two battery systems. The larger the home, the more you need or want.

My parents house has a Kohler diesel unit. It's 18 years old at this point, so maybe technology has improved, but it usually takes about 20-30 seconds to fire up, warm up to operating rpm, and switch over the power. It certainly comes in handy during storms (in CT usually it's snow related). One year the neighborhood lost power for over a week, but as long as you keep feeding it, life is good. The loss of internet can make life quite frustrating, but thankfully cell service has largely filled that void. Not that my parents are in a flood zone, but if there was, a ground level generator would be taken out pretty quickly.

The unit takes a few seconds to startup. I haven't tested it out in very cold weather apart from 34*F. Which isn't cold for an east-coaster like you. Within a minute or two, it can provide power to the whole house. Otherwise from startup, you're good to go. As it's natural gas, it's quieter than diesel and has less emissions. It's also easier to clean since there's next to no soot. I test every other week or once a month during the warmer months.

Around the same time, I replaced our central air unit with two larger, but more efficient units, to split the load for cooling needs or if need be, only cool one part of the house. Ideally, you can do this with one unit and use close-offs (I can't remember the technical term), but you do waste a lot of potential cooling before cold air reaches the longer parts.

My neighbors here in Boston just installed a natural gas standby generator on the roof of their brownstown... lucky people. Surprisingly power outages are not as rare as you'd think being in the city. Maybe 5 years ago there was a massive transformer explosion at the prudential center. I was without power for 3 full days, along with much of the city. They ended up having jerry rig generators to stoplights.

I'm familiar with NYC power outages and the associated New England area. Storms and wind are usually the biggest causes. Outside of that in good weather, it's essentially a failure of a component.

Last edited:

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I saw a picture of I10 freeway (not sure which section) that looks like a huge lake. Yike! I feel bad for those affected.
That's I-10 East outside of Houston going to Louisiana as of today it's still flooded.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Texas statistics heard today- 30,000 in shelters, so far 300,000 have applied for disaster relief from the Federal government. Good thing they are not applying to the State government who is tight on funds. I guess the Feds serve a purpose. ;)

Reactions: LizKat

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Interesting. I believe California's central valley is similar. There are these old pictures of country roads where there's a difference in sign height when measured against a sedentary position like a mountain in the distance. I can't seem to find them, but my Google Fu isn't very good. Underground land slides have also caused warping in areas. I took geology as one of those fun side courses during my undergrad and learned a lot (and forgot) about the lay of the land, with a focus on California then.

A lot of what we have built in the last 100 or so years is essentially "floating" on packed dirt. Unfortunately, we do not have very accurate map measurements, even now, so we can't tell how much of the US shoreline has disappeared in the last 200 years without doing a rough ballpark. I'd like to say we're several thousand years away from a split, but I don't know.

What I do believe is lessening the impact we have and using resources wisely. Up until a few years ago, it was illegal to capture rain water in California. I mean, illegal in the sense that you'd have be caught by an official who knew the law. Thanks to Brown, we can collect water. Granted, I'd been doing it since I bought my home because I couldn't give a flying squirrel about the law because I needed water and I wasn't going to "waste" water during a drought. My system consisted of various barrels dug halfway down, with collection pans and various mesh filters.

Nearly everyone here did it. Especially neighbors a few blocks up from us. Their large house sits on 1.7-2 acres of land with lots of fruit and coniferous trees, along with bushes and roses. Not much for some of you, but a lot for California. :p They had/have multiple custom rigged system to collect rain water. It was an engineering marvel when they showed it to a select few of us.

There's a lot of things I love about this state, but I also hate the stupid things such as the law that made it illegal to harvest rain water.

Reactions: Huntn

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Get a generator?
So the question for me, living in Houston, should I have a generator? A friend in the same neighborhood had one, but ironically he did not get to use it. He purchased 30 gallons of gas and 60 gallons of water, which I thought was overkill at the time (for the water, not the gas). You can burn, I want to say 10-15 gal of gas a day. Even though during the storm the highs were only in the 70's it would have been a miserable 4 days if the power had gone out on Friday night. Hmm. I'm thinking I should have one to power the fridge, and cool one room.

So your house stayed dry? That would be good news indeed while still commiserating with those who have a wet house, lost a loved one or everything. :( We stopped at a local shelter and dropped off 6 large large bags full of towels, clothing, toiletries, soda and hope that makes a difference. And I've donated to Red Cross with another donation this coming month. My wife felt frustrated we could not do more to help at the time, but we are cough "old" and were basically locked into our neighborhood. o_O
[doublepost=1504199199][/doublepost]
During the binge shopping, beer seemed to be high priority with many. ;)

Or one of Tesla's home battry systems.
Either that or Bloom box.

Our house stayed dry, but will be helping others whose house did not.

...and meat. Lots of meat sold at Kroger. And Eggs, diary, and other carnivora foods. :D
[doublepost=1504235996][/doublepost]
My experiences of Houston are limited to flying in and out of the enormous George Bush airport, but having seen the absolute scale of that city from the air then seeing on TV what the storm has done to it is jaw-dropping. This is going to take a decade to get fully back to normal.

For now I just hope the death count doesn't increase much further. Truly awful.

Houston, in a few years, will be the biggest city on earth, and probably the most ethnically diverse.

Reactions: Huntn

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Here is visual on how much rain fell.

8kFPxSQqyBs

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
We could do with some rain here... According to our service provider and some of the apps we use, a major warning has been issued thrice today about massive rains over an inch in a short period of time. I'm looking at the sat images. There's very little chance anything will make a dent in the extreme heat here. We do have a lot of cloud cover that is helps with the rays, but it feels like a sauna outside.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Unfortunately, there have been 30 confirmed Harvey-related deaths in Harris County and grand total Deaths in Texas has risen to at least 60.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I remember one of the first reported deaths being that family of six that drowned in their van as they attempted to escape. :(

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I remember one of the first reported deaths being that family of six that drowned in their van as they attempted to escape. :(

Six relatives of singer Selena drowned in Hurricane Harvey, says her father
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/e3e7a7b0-b331-31f7-aff4-16c4be78702c/ss_six-relatives-of-singer.html
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/e3e7a7b0-b331-31f7-aff4-16c4be78702c/ss_six-relatives-of-singer.html
Just in case some are wondering who is Selena
http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/05/selena-quintanilla-family-members-among-harvey-victims/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.