Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Washington Post has temporarily suspended limit on number of articles one can read for free, and they are carrying lots of reports on Hurricane Harvey on their homepage.

If they paid me, I might read them but then again, probably not :).

The last hurricane that came in over Galveston (Ike) power was out for a couple of days (we were out of town) , but it took a week for some people to get power back.

North Easterners in New England seem much worse then hurricanes in terms of numbers and duration of power outages.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If they paid me, I might read them but then again, probably not :).

North Easterners in New England seem much worse then hurricanes in terms of numbers and duration of power outages.
That could be true, in at least the numbers of them. We were in Saugus-Salem area for Hurricane Bob, and although labeled as very expensive for New England, it was a cake walk which did not stop us from visiting The House of Seven Gables, which was open for tours! :) What you don't have up there as a rule is the God aweful heat when the power goes out.

Hurricane Harvey Update- Taking the scenic route half way to San Antonio.

data=yb52plQ5o5tTJoMRISKc5r8LaQMpknhKQtn16EOEEKb8HXzCN1N_LWRKL-_nz70o0R1gm2sHUJ-m5qS1VAaAcZOCv1jSbuDWdDDAxUgdC5rW0iEDm4gihHicZnsN0QMrevq-58ano39bAX0N8v9JawThUh-mWA4Wg19V-WMgWax34EK704qaSRln7T4KNCb3MyLu_9v8tVxL784IUbxF4m32Dn0wPk_57zQKer2XUSmvbpk

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

Yah the heavy snow from nor'easters often bring tree limbs down on wires, or else when the ground gets so saturated in spring or fall rains, the rootbeds of trees will tip up and bring a whole tree down across wires. The worst is an early nor'easter when there's still leaves on the trees, the snow sticks to the leaves and the weight can topple the whole thing. At least when one of those falls on your car you can sleep through the sound of the soft but thorough crushing. :rolleyes:

When the Spanish company Iberdrola bought up NYSEG here, it may have been part of the deal that some delayed maintenance take place along rights of way. There was more tree trimming done at that time than had been done for decades around here. For awhile it cut down on number of minor storm outages. Now they begin to creep up again. :(

Sometimes after a big nor'easter the crews even can't get out into fields right away where a tree has taken out power in a rural area. They do their best but if 1,200 people are out from that and meanwhile they can go work on wires in city streets where 120,000 people have no juice, they're gonna do the city first and wait for those drifts to quit blowing stuff around in the boondocks. It's why I'm saving up for a genny that hooks up to my propane and kicks in automatically.

Still I'll take a power outrage from snow any day over the horrible mess that is flood water getting up into your house proper. Bad enough water in a cellar. Upstairs... I can't even imagine. I just really feel for all those in Texas and Louisiana too behind what mischief Harvey is bringing.

Reactions: Huntn

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Hurricane Harvey Update- Taking the scenic route half way to San Antonio.

data=yb52plQ5o5tTJoMRISKc5r8LaQMpknhKQtn16EOEEKb8HXzCN1N_LWRKL-_nz70o0R1gm2sHUJ-m5qS1VAaAcZOCv1jSbuDWdDDAxUgdC5rW0iEDm4gihHicZnsN0QMrevq-58ano39bAX0N8v9JawThUh-mWA4Wg19V-WMgWax34EK704qaSRln7T4KNCb3MyLu_9v8tVxL784IUbxF4m32Dn0wPk_57zQKer2XUSmvbpk

Yep. Looks like we got lucky in Houston. My neck of the woods is especially lucky with less than expected rainfall and a pleasant 79 degree (considering how we were having 94+ before Harvey). I'm tucked in the calm between the center and outer rainbands.:)

I feel for those getting hammered. Been there; as pleasant as a root canal without going under.:eek:

Reactions: LizKat and Huntn

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
In times like this there needs to be some levity. So.

I present to you Otis the dog.

"
The morning after Hurricane Harvey tore into Texas, Gulf Coast residents were already trying to prepare for life after the destructive storm ― including Otis, the dog.

Tiele Dockens was checking out the damage for friends and family in Sinton, north of Corpus Christi, when she saw Otis on the street carrying a large bag of dog food."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...-looting-dog-food_us_599faaefe4b0821444c25eeb

He knew what to do.

59a1e87e1e00003c00c5f728.jpeg

This dog is walking around Sinton TX carrying a entire bag of dog food with him. LOL #refugee

PSA: Owner is found. He is not a stray he just got out on his street.
Dogs name is Otis.

ETechMaster2002

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2016
CORPUS UPDATE 9:11 PM CST
It seems we are now in the post-Harvey stage here in Corpus Christi, obviously, not the same for other parts of Texas and Louisiana. I can stay that we dodge a flaming bullet, which I am of course fortunate for. I'm also fortunate for the fact I have power with my Wi-Fi, ability to charge my devices to make sure I don't lose notifications, I can watch my local news station on my television. But that is not the case for many, in fact hundred's of thousands in Corpus without electricity. We went driving today and here is some look at some power lines completely destroyed here in Corpus Christi, which is probably the most disaster we got in my opinion other than a couple of roofs and structures here and there but I haven't heard of any building collapsing here in Corpus Christi.
IMG_2230.jpg

But the coastline is holding up well ... other than a couple peers and some building damage.
IMG_2232.jpg

And it is a sad day for fishing people as the oldest port in the city could not hold up against Harvey. (From KRIS 6 News)
IMG_2248.jpg

However, Corpus is in the clear for now, I hope. Like I said, we dodge a bullet right there. However, for Rockport TX, pray for them. Pray For Rockport or Pray For Portland. Like I said, I'm watching my local news and this is currently the damage in Rockport right now as they are now in the Post-Harvey stage and they got a direct hit with Category 4 winds.
I'm very happy however, no fatalities in Corpus Christi, But, in other areas, I've heard of at least one confirmed fatality which is horribly sad, I can't imagine their final moments, the fear or how they died, what they saw before they died, we won't know and I honestly can't imagine it.

One more thing is stores and restaurants. Earlier in the day, when I was dying in my apartment due to no A/C, I was looking around all of Corpus to the point where I was going to go to my Hospital Emergency Room or Main Entrance to eat out of the Hospital cafeteria. However, I ultimately decided to leave that to the patients because I would think Doctors would only keep very sick patients in need of 24/7 Hospital Care. However, businesses are opening. Gas stations are very pack, the #1 thing people are looking for. HEB was pack. BREAD! The bread. It was all out, in fact, I wished I took a picture of the non-existent shelf of bread. All of it, GONE! OUT! NON-EXISTANT! Water was there, gas was there, food was there for those who had power to refrigerate. But the bread, I can talk about it all day, NO STORE HAD BREAD! Not one package of hamburger buns, hotdog buns, sandwich bread, NOTHING, no type of bread available in all stores I went too! So that would've been an issue if we were still in the outage area.

Oh and looters too. One got shot actually. Very sad that people are taking advantage of the fact that mass people are not home.

That is the current update. Very grateful for my own situation and praying for others! Will update if any more significant information occurs.

~ ETech

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Houston Hit by ‘Catastrophic Flooding’ from Hurricane Harvey, Hundreds Rescued

The good news is it's been downgraded to a tropical storm, the bad news is that it's moving at 1 mph, loitering just to the West of Victoria (roughly the same location as post 27) Texas dumping a record amount of water.

743702_1280x720.jpg

Not to get all political, but with all the bad press cops were getting recently, I'm glad the majority are good guys. Houston area LEOs have been working overtime rescuing home owners trapped by flood waters. Just wanted to show my appreciation for folks doing a thankless job.

There is a bit of flooding in my area, but nothing compared to other parts of Houston. Water is only tight deep here. Its up to the stop lights in other areas.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
T

Unimaginable... a forecast of up to five feet of rainfall? and poor drainage?

https://www.axios.com/worst-case-scenario-hits-houston-2477744783.html

We have a lot of sandy soil around so drainage is adequate under normal circumstances. Here it is a case of too much rain to fast, that would challenge any area. The last I heard, Harris County here I reside has received 16-20" rain as of early this morning and it's still pouring although right now there is a break.

So far, my neighborhood as had it easy, but I might just break down for next time and buy a generator... the goal being keeping the fridge going and cool one room with a window unit. 30 gallons of gas will last 2-3 days.

Reactions: LizKat and Peace

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Weather channel just said that the National Weather Service is warning "catastrophe unlike anything experienced". Insanity. I hope people are ok, I know some aren't. :(

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Have had the local channel turned on all day and there seems to be many neighborhoods underwater. Now the Houston area is huge so it's hard to maintain perspective. The city made the decision not to evacuate as in it's a nightmare to ask 6 million people to leave. In fact, a previous evacuation attempt was a nightmare, a giant parking lot where people ran out of gas on the highway. Where I think the city will be critiqued is not having every school and library not in a flood zone ready to house people.

The city is no stranger to hurricanes. My impression of a hurricane- it comes in with damaging winds, heavy rain and moves on, the last part a key phrase. Besides where the the storm first hit the coast, just north of Corpus Christi, this has been a somewhat mild wind event, and the rain is deceptive, oh just rain, until due to a stalled weather system sits and continues to dump monsoon rains for now 2 solid days, with projections of another 15-25" rain through next Friday, a solid week, 4' of rain, if that projection holds up.

They said a noteworthy past hurricane, Allison damaged 100,000 houses and this one could have much more wide spread damage affecting a much larger area.

Last edited:

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Was living in the greater Houston area back in June 2001 when Tropical Storm Allison hit. I remember a photo of a jet ski going down one of the major freeways over a submerged semi!!! And that was just 30 inches of rain. This time it is almost double that at 50+ inches of rain. I hope the loss of life is minimal. I find Texans more friendly than Seattleites.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
We have a lot of sandy soil around so drainage is adequate under normal circumstances. Here it is a case of too much rain to fast, that would challenge any area. The last I heard, Harris County here I reside has received 16-20" rain as of early this morning and it's still pouring although right now there is a break.

So far, my neighborhood as had it easy, but I might just break down for next time and buy a generator... the goal being keeping the fridge going and cool one room with a window unit. 30 gallons of gas will last 2-3 days.

Ya I understand the logistics. I lived in Houston as a child and my brother was born there.

It is a huge city. 3rd largest in the country.
It would have been a nightmare to evacuate yesterday. Probably would have done more harm than good.

Reactions: Huntn and LizKat

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@LizKat, I listened to a critical report on PBS about development in the Houston area, development without regard for mitigating the ability of the land to absorb flood waters, prarie lands paved over, little green space retained. So your drainage comment was more appropriate than I credited.

For a long time I've felt that Houston and Austin will develop as fast as they can, the builders are in charge. It's one of the reasons why house prices are relatively low, and (my impression) the housing market is more volatile than the national average, but I've not backed this up with any research. With inlaws in Austin, I know first hand the housing market has taken a dump there several times over the last 40 years due to over building, at times with homes depreciating.

Regarding this flood, what I find interesting, but bothersome, historically, they know what neighborhoods have flooded in the past and now know what new neighborhoods flooded this time. There are neighborhoods down along the Buffalo Bayou that have flooded before since we have lived here. I'm not an expert, but it's surprising if they don't have all the known neighborhoods mapped out and put in evacuation orders for known flood zones. And as I said before, they should have a database of every school and library that is not in a flood area, ready to go as a shelter. I realize that costs money. :rolleyes:

The other issue is building in known flood areas. Some states like South Carolina have forbidden rebuilding in coastal zones when a house is lost due to flooding. I wonder why this has not happened in the Houston metro area? If it has, I am unaware of it. Maybe that will considered.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
hopefully all our Houston neighbors are OK. i'm from Corpus Christi and rode out the storm which made landfall about 30 miles away.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well back out over the water as a tropical storm and headed North to Houston, slowly, continuing to dump rain.

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL9_swath_1280x720.jpg

DISE3OHVYAEiOP2.jpg

Note: This is just one county, where Houston resides, as compared to many more being impacted in a large geographic area.

041816ktrkflood5pm04.jpg

I wonder if the fish are biting? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well it seems Houston now has land sharks.

DIS4F4JWsAA14QI.jpg

And they're fishing in their flooded homes :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...flooded-by-harvey_us_59a3e2d9e4b06d67e338d91d
Is that photoshopped? o_O

We ventured out to survey the neighborhood today. HEB (grocery) was open this morning, but later seemed to be closed with water in the parking lot later. It's new so I'm surprised drainage is so poor. Kroger's (grocery) was open with a queue to get in. Fortunately there is electrical power. There was a lot of food in the store but you can tell what the popular items are:

IMG_0343.JPG
Meat... chicken

IMG_0342.JPG
Bread...no, but all the Little Bites you can eat.​

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Had a discussion with the wife about our decades in Minnesota and all of the houses we lived in were built with grading plans that put the house 3 or 4' above the street. The last house we were in was almost 10' above street level with a driveway that was sloped a bit more than I liked it. My brother lives in Northern Virginia and that county requires a minimum of 55% permeable ground. My guess is neither of those requirements are payed attention too. Fortunately the house we purchased is maybe 2' higher than the street, but many houses look as if the front door is at ground level. Not much leeway for street flooding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.