Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJ8

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I thought I would have my All Photos folder and then also a Photo Stream folder (or something similar) where all my photos were stored and stayed forever regardless of what I did within my All Photos folder.

But when I delete a photo from All Photos I get this message "This photo will be deleted from iCloud Photo Library on all your devices". WTF? So All Photos is now iCloud Photo Storage? Ugh. I thought this was going to be clear and simple.

Can anyone explain this to me? If I delete a photo on my phone I want it to stay in the cloud. Isn't that the entire purpose of having iCloud Photo Library?

Woodlandstar

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
Basically, All Your photos are now in one big photostream. The only options you have at this moment are to store ALL your photos and videos on device, or to have them optimized, which basically keeps all the thumbnails, but will download high res images and stream the videos when you need them.
I would like to see an option to keep, say, last 30 days on device, then older ones get optimized. As I'm more likely to show family and friends videos I've taken recently, than older ones.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Isn't the way it works that iCloud Photo Library stores all the photos that are also on your phone, (the ones on your phone are either full size or smaller res versions). If you delete pics from your phone , then it will indeed delete from the cloud as well. If you don't want that to happen, switch off iCloud Photo Library.

EJ8

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Isn't the way it works that iCloud Photo Library stores all the photos that are also on your phone, (the ones on your phone are either full size or smaller res versions). If you delete pics from your phone , then it will indeed delete from the cloud as well. If you don't want that to happen, switch off iCloud Photo Library.

What is the purpose of iCloud Photo Library if they delete from the cloud when you delete from your phone? Completely stupid.

DarkoDonnie

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
What is the purpose of iCloud Photo Library if they delete from the cloud when you delete from your phone? Completely stupid.

Really? Unless you're being sarcastic, your questioning actually makes perfect sense.

All images in cloud, delete from ONE device = delete from ALL, since thats what "cloud" is, it's a server warehouse.. with different portals accessing it. One place for things with different doors.

I understand it breaks the mould we've all grown accustom to over the last 7 years, but it's what it should of been from the beginning (COUNTLESS times, I've had either may iPad/iPhone/Macbook try to share something, but it's only on my Macbook/iPad/iPhone)..

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I don't get this 30 day stuff so after 30 days pictures in photo stream get deleted but stay on the device the picture was taken on.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Really? Unless you're being sarcastic, your questioning actually makes perfect sense.

All images in cloud, delete from ONE device = delete from ALL, since thats what "cloud" is, it's a server warehouse.. with different portals accessing it. One place for things with different doors.

I understand it breaks the mould we've all grown accustom to over the last 7 years, but it's what it should of been from the beginning (COUNTLESS times, I've had either may iPad/iPhone/Macbook try to share something, but it's only on my Macbook/iPad/iPhone)..

.....in answer to the OP's post, I couldn't agree with you more!

Vegasryn

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't understand why everyone is so confused. With ANY cloud storage service, when you delete a file off of the cloud, it's deleted off all devices attached to that cloud. This is by design, and is the correct implementation.

If there is a picture that you want to keep permanently. Open up iPhotos on your Mac, or connect your phone to your PC and download that picture to your local HD, and then you're free to delete it from the cloud.

EJ8

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Not sarcastic at all. I really thought this solution was going to expand a users ability to store photos. Photos that no longer fit on their phone. I thought it was going to eliminate the need to constantly offload pictures (that no longer fit on my phone) to a computer.

As it's set up now all it is is a larger duplication of what's already on my phone. I don't need my photos duplicated if I still have to move them over to my computer where they get redundantly saved anyway. What is the plus here regarding iCloud Photo Library? I don't have a purpose for this.

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
Not sarcastic at all. I really thought this solution was going to expand a users ability to store photos. Photos that no longer fit on their phone. I thought it was going to eliminate the need to constantly offload pictures (that no longer fit on my phone) to a computer.

As it's set up now all it is is a larger duplication of what's already on my phone. I don't need my photos duplicated if I still have to move them over to my computer where they get redundantly saved anyway. What is the plus here regarding iCloud Photo Library? I don't have a purpose for this.

Then the service isn't for you. Turn off iCloud Library, and carry on under the old system. That's why there is a choice.

Vegasryn

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

It's not a duplication. You either choose to store a full resolution image to your device, which if deleted, deletes it from the cloud, or you choose to have a smaller thumbnail image downloaded to your device, when, if deleted will delete from the cloud.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010

If you don't have a purpose for it, turn the option off!!! iCloud Photo Library is a choice - it's not compulsory!!!

EJ8

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
If you don't have a purpose for it, turn the option off!!! iCloud Photo Library is a choice - it's not compulsory!!!

Hey thanks for suggesting I turn it off. I wouldn't have known I could do that if you hadn't told me.

Now you may be sensing sarcasm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.