Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agipaok

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2014
Thessaloniki
When we have this option the photo library in iPhone storage must be another number from iCloud Photo Library storage ? Cause I have in my device library storage 580mb and iCloud Photo Library storage 540 mb and I have optimized storage !!!!!! Bigger in cloud ???

party

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Hong Kong
I am aware that with iCloud Photo Library enabled to the 'optimize' mode, the old photos I take with my iPhone will be downgraded to a low-res version while the high-res version remains in the cloud. I am fine with that approach as long as it happens automatically. However, today I checked my photos and none of them are in low-res. So, I wonder how long do photos take to be downgraded into low-res? 30 days?

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I am aware that with iCloud Photo Library enabled to the 'optimize' mode, the old photos I take with my iPhone will be downgraded to a low-res version while the high-res version remains in the cloud. I am fine with that approach as long as it happens automatically. However, today I checked my photos and none of them are in low-res. So, I wonder how long do photos take to be downgraded into low-res? 30 days?

I would be careful and back up all of your original photos before turning on the optimization mode. I ran into an issue where my photos would optimize on my iPhone, the full-res photos would be uploaded to iCloud Photo Library...then after a few days about half of the full-res photos on iCloud were swapped out for the compressed, "optimized" versions. I confirmed this by looking at the photos on iCloud via web browser and comparing them from day to day. Luckily I had all of my photos backed up in iPhoto and on a Photo Stream. Personally, I'm not going to use the optimization mode until iCloud Photo Library goes from Beta to Final version. My photo library is only about 500MB do it doesn't hurt much keeping them stored locally on my phone.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I would be careful and back up all of your original photos before turning on the optimization mode. I ran into an issue where my photos would optimize on my iPhone, the full-res photos would be uploaded to iCloud Photo Library...then after a few days about half of the full-res photos on iCloud were swapped out for the compressed, "optimized" versions.

I'm assuming you reported that to Apple as it sounds like your iPhone uploaded the compressed versions of the photos back up to iCloud, which isn't supposed to happen.

Personally I back up all my photos locally anyway. I had tried optimized mode, but since it didn't seem to do anything at all, I switched back to full mode. I probably should have put it back on optimized though since after I upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 8 and turned on iCloud Photo Library, it downloaded the full sized images of all the photos I had stored on my iPad down to my iPhone, which didn't leave much space.

faunsnyder

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
Really? Unless you're being sarcastic, your questioning actually makes perfect sense.

All images in cloud, delete from ONE device = delete from ALL, since thats what "cloud" is, it's a server warehouse.. with different portals accessing it. One place for things with different doors.

I understand it breaks the mould we've all grown accustom to over the last 7 years, but it's what it should of been from the beginning (COUNTLESS times, I've had either may iPad/iPhone/Macbook try to share something, but it's only on my Macbook/iPad/iPhone)..

This make's complete sense to me. If you want your photos stored so they don't get deleted I would think thats what importing them to your iPhoto (computer) would be for. I feel this is all set up so that your supposed to have a "base of operations" as it were and that is your Apple Computer. Its when you don't back up or import things to a computer that you start running into problems. This technology and the features that come with it can't be fully realized by joe schmo who is only willing to half ass it.

Hellomrmac

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2015
Why aren't my computer library photos viewable on my iPhone and iPad. All sharing tick boxes are done

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Why aren't my computer library photos viewable on my iPhone and iPad. All sharing tick boxes are done

You got me on that one. But I don't have that library feature enabled. Yet I still can see all my photos on my other Apple devices. The videos made with my phone don't go automatically to my iPad (but the photos do) but they are all (pics and vids) viewable on my Mac in the photos app. Also I use Amazon cloud, so all pics and vids are viewable on my iPad via the Amazon photo app.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Have they finished uploading yet? My 360GB library has been uploading for over a month and still hasn’t finished.

That's what made me give up on using it. I get good enough functionality with the library turned off. I can still see all my pics on all my devices without it. I don't see it adding anything worthwhile to my experience. And Amazon Cloud has worked a lot better for uploading all my pics and videos and keeping up to date.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Have they finished uploading yet? My 360GB library has been uploading for over a month and still hasn’t finished.

You give me hope. :)

Glad to see this thread added to with recent posts. I read this whole thread after I turned on ICPL on my rMBP and before my iPhone. Was nervous with the warning "All Videos and Photos Will Be Deleted From My iPhone".

But, learned a lot reading here and many articles on web. Think I somewhat understand now. And, always do backups to external drives.

All, is working well. iPhone populated overnight. But, I have less than 600 photos. My iPhoto Events folder did not populate like the ones on iPhone and rMBP. Seems a little odd considering everything else went relatively fast.

Does anyone else have this folder on iCloud and not yet populated. It seems to be a useless folder anyway. But, it is on Photo Library on rMBP and iPhone.

On Photo Library on rMBP it creates the albums/events it wants under iPhoto Events. We don't do anything in there? Or can/should we?

Last edited:

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
You give me hope. :)

Glad to see this thread added to with recent posts. I read this whole thread after I turned on ICPL on my rMBP and before my iPhone. Was nervous with the warning "All Videos and Photos Will Be Deleted From My iPhone".

But, learned a lot reading here and many articles on web. Think I understand now. And, always do backups to external drives.

All, is working well. iPhone populated overnight. But, I have less than 600 photos. My iPhoto Events folder did not populate like the ones on iPhone and rMBP. Seems a little odd considering everything else went relatively fast.

Does anyone else have this folder on iCloud and not yet populated. It seems to be a useless folder anyway. But, it is on Photo Library on rMBP and iPhone.

My other Apple devices serve as backups, as does Amazon Photo. I don't bother making yet another backup on an external drive.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I never got an answer to my iPhoto Events Folder---:(

1. Should it be in iCloud Photo Library?????????????

I have it there and is empty----all my library uploaded in a few hours, days ago. So, doubt anything is going there.

Also, nothing new added to it on my rMBP since I started using the new Photo Library.

2. Is that also normal, it is just a copy from iPhone to rMBP when I imported and started using the new Photo Library. Seems like that is the way it is designed?

Have read a lot, but nothing definitive on my 2 questions.

Appreciate and answers--:)

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Yes, my iPhoto Events Folder showed up at the bottom of the Album list in the side bar. Also showed in both iPhone and iPad. It contained all my Events and all the monthly Photo Stream Folders.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Yes I have iPhoto Events in Photo Library sidebar and iPhone. Outside of that Folder I still have the "Albums" within it showing separate in Photo Library and on iPhone. But, not the individual dated events are showing outside of iPhoto Events Folder. In a way a duplicate since no new photos appear in iPhoto events Folder.

But, is your iPhoto Events Folder populated in iCloud Photo Library? Or, do you even have one there?

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
NVM--I think I figured out the iPhoto relationship with Photos. I'm old with a lot of "white matter lesions" lol ;)

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
I've been meaning to ask this and don't really know a better place to do it.

We are using iCloud photo Library with my wife's iPhone and her iCloud account so she can take photos and whatnot and not really worry about her device filling up.

The issue is we only use PCs. Is there currently an easy way to get iCloud Photo Library photos onto a PC besides downloading them 1 by 1 from iCloud.com? That is not very efficient to put it mildly. Does apple have plans for some kind of dropbox app where things just sync to where ever you designate?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Turn on Photostream and download the iCloud for Windows and enable Photos. It's not iCloud Photo Library per say, but any photos taken on the iPhone will download to the PC.

Raysofhope

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Just had the same issue here. If I keep a thumbnail on my iPhone, how do I get the full res pic for eg. on my iPhone when it is stored in the iCloud?

Gageduke

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
So from reading all of this, I might as well just plug my phone in and store it in my computer because the "cloud" that Apple provides is nothing but a drop box? How freaking lame. My 50 gigs that I pay for are only as good as the storage on my phone (10 gigs). Thanks for nothing apple. Amazon Prime gives you unlimited photo storage people. I have 17 GB with Google chrome. Come on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.