Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
Good call. Most of the professional world that needed Mac Pro levels of power has moved away from Macs anyway. The only reason I still use one for work (and the most basic macbook is good enough for what I do) is because my company bought one for me.

Don't get me wrong. I like Apple products but they're pretty much just a mobile device company now.

Reactions: fermat-au

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
there are people who take their mac dedication to a level that they want to ridicule those who choose another platform. I'm a big believer in both getting value for your money and picking the right tool for the job. I still may buy a mac myself, but its harder to justify the premium pricing when I feel its less and less like a premium product.

There still may be driver issues, heck I have more driver issues when trying to run windows on a Mac and using Apple supplied drivers. Running windows on a windows machine has been far smoother.

Both platforms are solid, both platforms have their respective advantages and disadvantages. For me, I feel like spending my hard earned money on a company who's focus is providing great computers. I'm feeling that for apple that's less and less, Its clear they want iOS as the heir apparent for desktop computing.

I wish you were wrong, but it is becoming increasingly clear that you are completely right.

Reactions: flyinmac

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Very nice setup! Congrats. I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm clinging to my 2014 MacBook pro. The only thing tethering me to the Mac is FCPX and XCode. Thinking of getting a nice 6 core Windows laptop and moving to Premiere. Maybe get a light MacBook or updated MacBook Air for development.

A little off topic, but what made you choose Davinci Resolve over Premiere? How do you like it compared to FCPX?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Why are people giving the OP grief?

This is literally the "alternatives to Mac hardware" forum area

I think what sometimes happens is people see a provocative thread title in the "Latest Replies" section on the forums homepage sidebar, and they jump into the thread without realising its in the alternatives forum. This has certainly happened to me with Android posts slagging off Apple - I jumped into the thread to defend Apple/iOS and got warned for upsetting Android fans in their section without really knowing it. I now try to remember to check the forum breadcrumb to see which forum I'm in before hitting reply.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple - I jumped into the thread to defend Apple/iOS
You don't need to defend apple. Its not your job, they don't even know about you, and in this thread's case its about someone making a decision that Dell is a better fit for their needs then apple. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and there's no need to defend apple. Apple is a multibillion dollar company and who's primary concern is to do the wishes of its owners.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
You don't need to defend apple. Its not your job, they don't even know about you, and in this thread's case its about someone making a decision that Dell is a better fit for their needs then apple. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and there's no need to defend apple. Apple is a multibillion dollar company and who's primary concern is to do the wishes of its owners.

I'm aware I don't need to defend them. I'll defend Apple when I feel there's something that needs to be said. I don't actively run around looking for threads with negative Apple comments. I'm sure there are many negative threads on MR, especially in the Android section, as well as these alternative forums. I only comment when the thread has drawn my interest and I feel I have something to say that nobody else is saying.

marshzd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Very nice setup! Congrats. I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm clinging to my 2014 MacBook pro. The only thing tethering me to the Mac is FCPX and XCode. Thinking of getting a nice 6 core Windows laptop and moving to Premiere. Maybe get a light MacBook or updated MacBook Air for development.

A little off topic, but what made you choose Davinci Resolve over Premiere? How do you like it compared to FCPX?

I LOVE FCPX, it's significantly faster than Premiere and AVID. No question. The magnetic timeline and organization is a breeze. I helped my buddy make his film, Off the Tracks, all about FCPX and it's story. It's just great.

I chose Resolve over Premiere on Windows because it's built solidly, can handle 8k resolution as well as FCPX (Premiere chokes), and professionals like Michael Cioni prefer FCPX and Resolve over products like Premiere. I've talked to him a few times about it.

Resolve will round trip with FCPX so if I do get a MacBook Pro, I'll be able to use the two in tandem. I often send my FCPX projects to Resolve for coloring, so this is a process I'm familiar with.

I hope that's enough reasons for you. :p Oh...And Resolve is free.

Reactions: KarmaRocket

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
Those who popped off with the snarky comments in the beginning must not have realized which section of the forum this is in...

Reactions: Regime2008

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
It's superior in specs to anything Apple has released, and for much cheaper. What other reasons would there be to hate and have snarky comments?

The fact that Windows is a massive train wreck. You could not pay me to go back there. MacOS does everything I need and does it well.

It’s my opinion, but I believe every word of it.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
The fact that Windows is a massive train wreck. You could not pay me to go back there. MacOS does everything I need and does it well.

Windows 10 is actually very solid. I’ve been using and developing hardware and software since before the Apple II and IBM PC existed. And I’ve used, worked on, modified, coded for, and troubleshooted every iteration of said PC and Apple market ever since (including more other platforms than I could even begin to count - tons of other platforms over the years that most don’t even know about today).

That said... obviously I am intimately familiar with the underpinnings of every version of Microsoft’s operating systems, as well as Mac / Apple operating systems.

The Microsoft vs. Apple bashing is unfounded. It’s simply preference. I have a preference for “using” Mac OS.

Often over the years, my preference got in my way. I was determined to use Mac OS because I preferred it. But... often it was very problematic to get my task done. And after wasting days trying to get my Mac to do the task, I’d concede and go to my PC and be done with the project in an hour.

Personal preference does not make your preferred tool the right tool for the job.

I still deal with that today. I often wish to use my Mac. But I end up turning on the PC to get it done.

Windows 10 is actually a very solid and robust operating system. And I haven’t had it crash on me yet. And that’s over literally hundreds of Windows 10 machines that I’ve had to manage since release date.

The networking capabilities of Windows 10 desktop combined with a Windows Server 2012 or later are beyond the capabilities of anything you could accomplish with a strictly Mac based network. Though Windows Server can manage a Mac client desktop.

Beyond that, even on a home network, the integration level that I can get between my home desktops in Windows is amazing. Yet sadly my Macs sit there on the network with very little ability to achieve the same tasks. I have to do a ton of manual tweaking on the Mac to trick it into doing what I want it to do. It’s more like using exploits in the operating system to make it do something it wasn’t ever a thought to integrate into Mac OS.

I do like the Mac. And I use it for my daily tasks. But when I start doing serious work (aside from audio and video production), I find myself on the PC.

As for audio and video, both platforms are equally capable. I simply prefer the Mac for those tasks. But it makes no real difference.

Windows has gone through its growing pains. But so has the Mac. I can remember using Mac OS 8.5 through 9.2.2 (prior versions were more stable). And I remember sitting there literally praying before every click of the mouse that this click wasn’t going to be the click that crashed the computer. Unfortunately the design tool I needed was only available for the Mac, and it had one feature I needed that didn’t exist in any other design tool at the time.

Regardless of what task I was doing (even if no programs were running). it was literally known to me that every single click I made could be the one that crashed the computer. A very unpleasant experience.

Once OS X came out, that machine got a lot more stable.

But even OS X versions have had their problems.

So blaming Microsoft for their growing pains while forgiving Apple’s growing pains, is really very biased.

At this point, Windows has become an incredible tool. I don’t like it. But really the reason I don’t like it, is because the things I’m used to clicking on in the Mac OS are organized differently in Windows. So I have a moment of pause as I translate my intended action to the machine in front of me.

It’s not the machines fault. It’s simply a learned behavior that’s in my way.

I run into the same situation when I use different brands of power tools. One drill has a keyless chuck that works this way. The other works that way. I have to look at the tool, pause, then say oh it’s this design, so I need to do it this way. But that isn’t the drill’s fault, and it isn’t a bad design. It’s just that when I switch drills, I need to remember which tool is in my hand, and do the task the right way for that drill. But both drills make the hole the same. And both drills do it just as well. I do prefer one of them, but only because I use it more often and can perform the task without the pause to remember which way to change the drill bit. But that doesn’t make my preferred drill to be superior to the other drill.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Windows 10 is actually very solid. I’ve been using and developing hardware and software since before the Apple II and IBM PC existed. And I’ve used, worked on, modified, coded for, and troubleshooted every iteration of said PC and Apple market ever since (including more other platforms than I could even begin to count - tons of other platforms over the years that most don’t even know about today).

That said... obviously I am intimately familiar with the underpinnings of every version of Microsoft’s operating systems, as well as Mac / Apple operating systems.

The Microsoft vs. Apple bashing is unfounded. It’s simply preference. I have a preference for “using” Mac OS.

Often over the years, my preference got in my way. I was determined to use Mac OS because I preferred it. But... often it was very problematic to get my task done. And after wasting days trying to get my Mac to do the task, I’d concede and go to my PC and be done with the project in an hour.

Personal preference does not make your preferred tool the right tool for the job.

I still deal with that today. I often wish to use my Mac. But I end up turning on the PC to get it done.

Windows 10 is actually a very solid and robust operating system. And I haven’t had it crash on me yet. And that’s over literally hundreds of Windows 10 machines that I’ve had to manage since release date.

The networking capabilities of Windows 10 desktop combined with a Windows Server 2012 or later are beyond the capabilities of anything you could accomplish with a strictly Mac based network. Though Windows Server can manage a Mac client desktop.

Beyond that, even on a home network, the integration level that I can get between my home desktops in Windows is amazing. Yet sadly my Macs sit there on the network with very little ability to achieve the same tasks. I have to do a ton of manual tweaking on the Mac to trick it into doing what I want it to do. It’s more like using exploits in the operating system to make it do something it wasn’t ever a thought to integrate into Mac OS.

I do like the Mac. And I use it for my daily tasks. But when I start doing serious work (aside from audio and video production), I find myself on the PC.

As for audio and video, both platforms are equally capable. I simply prefer the Mac for those tasks. But it makes no real difference.

Windows has gone through its growing pains. But so has the Mac. I can remember using Mac OS 8.5 through 9.2.2 (prior versions were more stable). And I remember sitting there literally praying before every click of the mouse that this click wasn’t going to be the click that crashed the computer. Unfortunately the design tool I needed was only available for the Mac, and it had one feature I needed that didn’t exist in any other design tool at the time.

Regardless of what task I was doing (even if no programs were running). it was literally known to me that every single click I made could be the one that crashed the computer. A very unpleasant experience.

So blaming Microsoft for their growing pains while forgiving Apple’s growing pains, is really very biased.

At this point, Windows has become an incredible tool. I don’t like it. But really the reason I don’t like it, is because the things I’m used to clicking on in the Mac OS are organized differently in Windows. So I have a moment of pause as I translate my intended action to the machine in front of me.

I run into the same situation when I use different brands of power tools. One drill has a keyless chuck that works this way. The other works that way. I have to look at the tool, pause, then say oh it’s this design, so I need to do it this way. But that isn’t the drill’s fault, and it isn’t a bad design. It’s just that when I switch drills, I need to remember which tool is in my hand, and do the task the right way for that drill. But both drills make the hole the same. And both drills do it just as well. I do prefer one of them, but only because I use it more often and can perform the task without the pause to remember which way to change the drill bit. But that doesn’t make my preferred drill to be superior to the other drill.
Your post is absolutely the BEST post I have EVER read when it comes to discussing the differences between MS and . I wish I had been able to say it this way. But since I didn't, I am going to bookmark your post and use it whenever the topic comes up, which is fairly often. ;)

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Your post is absolutely the BEST post I have EVER read when it comes to discussing the differences between MS and . I wish I had been able to say it this way. But since I didn't, I am going to bookmark your post and use it whenever the topic comes up, which is fairly often. ;)

Thank you. I appreciate your thoughts and glad you find it useful.

Reactions: Martyimac

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

Excellent post!! Unbiased and informative. I use both systems daily and you are right Windows is a great tool even though i love and prefer OSX.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe

This train wreck (in your opinion) is considered good enough to run the production line of Apple.
I know this article is from 2014 and the post of @flyinmac is much better and much more nuanced than this one, but I could not resist:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/236...o-of-mac-production-line-running-windows.html

upload_2018-6-25_8-29-48.png

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4

Well said, I too prefer the aesthetic of OS X, although not so much the current flattened interface. That said I'm predominantly on Windows 10 for my professional needs as it's simply the better tool in 2018. Those righting off the OS so casually, speaks more of their capabilities than the platforms.

Good to see an unbiased view well presented in a professional manner :apple:

Q-6

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

Nice, balanced post. I would wish that MS would get their act together on their store. The Mac App Store is WAY better than the Win 10 counterpart. The software situation is improving for Win10 overall, but there are some programs that are slightly better in Mac for my situation. Scrivener and Aeon Timeline for instance. Still there is a reason I am building my next machine to dual boot Win10 and uh some other OS that may be in the name of this site. ;) Hardware in the Mac side just can’t cut it anymore.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not for nothing, but as I bounced between my Mac and Razer today, that there are some nice things that macOS offers. I was needing to rebuild my iMac thanks to Mojave destroying my system, and as I was splitting my time between both, there is some things I'm used too because I've been in the Apple ecosystem for so long.

My Razer is actually more robust in able to do more, no question but some of those things require extra work, where as apple has things very streamlined

Queen6

macrumors G4
Not for nothing, but as I bounced between my Mac and Razer today, that there are some nice things that macOS offers. I was needing to rebuild my iMac thanks to Mojave destroying my system, and as I was splitting my time between both, there is some things I'm used too because I've been in the Apple ecosystem for so long.

My Razer is actually more robust in able to do more, no question but some of those things require extra work, where as apple has things very streamlined

Very true, ultimately it comes down to what one needs to accomplish versus a personal preference. For me the scales have tipped as Apple has now become more a liability than a productive partner...

Q-6

Reactions: eltoslightfoot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.