Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Well said, I too prefer the aesthetic of OS X, although not so much the current flattened interface. That said I'm predominantly on Windows 10 for my professional needs as it's simply the better tool in 2018. Those righting off the OS so casually, speaks more of their capabilities than the platforms.

Good to see an unbiased view well presented in a professional manner :apple:

Q-6

Thank you.

Aesthetically definitely, I prefer Mac OS. But there are definitely aspects I prefer in Windows.

The window closing, full screen / window, and minimize buttons. For those 3 functions, Windows definitely has it nailed. Mac OS feels inconsistent in those 3 buttons. Sometimes close window is close window. Sometimes it’s close program. Minimize works as expected. But resize / full screen toggle is a mess. Sometimes it is full screen. Sometimes it’s full screen take over my screen and can’t bring up another window to overlay it. It’s just an interface mess.

But, aside from that, I prefer navigation in Mac OS.

Visually, my favorite was back in the traffic light / candy colors and aqua.

Prior to that, my other favorite was around System 5.x to 6.x. There was a simplistic elegance. Like comparing an 1800’s Newspaper / Gazette to a modern newspaper. The modern version has lost the borders and headers and typesetting that provides an elegant organized clarity and crispness. Now it’s about cramming and cost saving with minimal labor.

Nice, balanced post. I would wish that MS would get their act together on their store. The Mac App Store is WAY better than the Win 10 counterpart. The software situation is improving for Win10 overall, but there are some programs that are slightly better in Mac for my situation. Scrivener and Aeon Timeline for instance. Still there is a reason I am building my next machine to dual boot Win10 and uh some other OS that may be in the name of this site. ;) Hardware in the Mac side just can’t cut it anymore.

Thank you.

Yes, I agree that the Mac App Store is more refined in function. Very consistent. But the Windows store has an easier presentation for me to understand. As in, I can find what I’m looking for faster, understand it’s details quicker, and identify whether it is a utility, book, song, game, etc. at a glance. The search function in the Mac App Store presents this grid of results with tiny print that I must now look at every icon, and the tiny caption, then try to guess which looks closest to what I want, and click and read and realize it’s not at all what I’m after. But once I make the purchase, yes, the Mac App Store certainly handles it better and distributes it to my other computers and updates, etc. in a much more refined way.
[doublepost=1529961591][/doublepost]
Hey, hey, enough with the rationality! I want to see all these people whining at me. :p

Sorry, my irrational side is on a different topic today. Unless you care to discuss that topic. I’m not sure what that topic is yet... oh wait... I know what it is. Jet skis hitting my bouy. Doesn’t hurt it, doesn’t hurt me. But it just irks me for some reason. I justify it as the birds nest along my shore and the waves hurt their nest. But I know it’s just that they’re trespassing in my water space. And yet why should I care. The water is the water lol. Not like a 4 wheeler leaving muddy tracks through my lawn.

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
The fact that Windows is a massive train wreck. You could not pay me to go back there. MacOS does everything I need and does it well.

It’s my opinion, but I believe every word of it.
Seems like several people corrected you, so no need for me to do it as well. But as you see, your opinion is in the minority, by far. It is fine that you prefer Mac over pc, but it's definitely not a better experience, hardware or software wise.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Seems like several people corrected you, so no need for me to do it as well. But as you see, your opinion is in the minority, by far. It is fine that you prefer Mac over pc, but it's definitely not a better experience, hardware or software wise.

You don't know me and you cannot tell me what is a better experience for me ... it's not possible to "correct" the opinion of another - that is the very essence of an opinion. For my time and money, the Mac experience still far exceeds anything Microsoft could offer me. THAT is why it's MY opinion... and for those who feel the need to flame me for my opinion, well, knock yourselves out... but it will not affect my opinion.

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
You don't know me and you cannot tell me what is a better experience for me ... it's not possible to "correct" the opinion of another - that is the very essence of an opinion. For my time and money, the Mac experience still far exceeds anything Microsoft could offer me. THAT is why it's MY opinion... and for those who feel the need to flame me for my opinion, well, knock yourselves out... but it will not affect my opinion.
You said the fact that Windows is a massive train wreck... No one is arguing with your opinion, but more so disproving what you claimed about Windows. There is a reason the majority of the world prefer Windows over Apple, same with Android over ios.

I am the complete opposite. I feel that Mac is so far behind on hardware and software, that I could not get anything accomplished that I can easily do on Windows. There is a huge disparity between the two when it comes to user options, functionality, availability of apps, etc.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
You said the fact that Windows is a massive train wreck... No one is arguing with your opinion, but more so disproving what you claimed about Windows. There is a reason the majority of the world prefer Windows over Apple, same with Android over ios.

I am the complete opposite. I feel that Mac is so far behind on hardware and software, that I could not get anything accomplished that I can easily do on Windows. There is a huge disparity between the two when it comes to user options, functionality, availability of apps, etc.

For Apple the Mac and the desktop OS are clearly not a priority nor it's future, with little more than lip service paid to it's professional users. Inversely Microsoft has got it's act together with W10 now being solid platform for the majority of it's users.

Productivity on the Mac has been nosediving for years, with Apple literally needing be shamed into updating some of it's hardware, if at all. The hardware Apple does update is now often flawed requiring extended coverage, at best inconveniencing the customer, then only in the face of court action Apple knows it's not in a position to defend.

https://macperformanceguide.com/AppleCoreRot-intro.html

For the most part Apple's position as a premium provider is starting to look more and more like "smoke and mirrors" with every passing release :oops:

Q-6

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For Apple the Mac and the desktop OS are clearly not a priority nor it's future, with little more than lip service paid to it's professional users. Inversely Microsoft has got it's act together with W10 now being solid platform for the majority of it's users.
By the same token, MS realizes they need to diversify, and they've been moving into other areas like cloud and what not. I think both are realizing that they cannot assume computer sales will be a major driving factor in long term growth.

I see similarities in how both manage their operating systems, i.e., both have opted for small incremental annual (or semi-annual) releases. MS has stated that windows 10 is the last version of windows and they'll just keep improving it, while they haven't stated this to my knowledge, Apple is doing the same with macOS, i.e., working off the Yosemite code base and just improving that.

One of the differences as I see it, is that Apple is content (or even actively) working to have their iOS business cannibalize their macOS business. I see in many ways the ability to run iOS apps on macOS as portend of the future, i.e., no more intel.

Since Apple makes hardware and MS doesn't (not to the same level as Apple), I also think Apple is trying to make their laptops a commodity, buy a new one every few years instead of upgrade/repair. That worked well for phones, but phones don't cost 3,000 dollars.

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
I'm aware I don't need to defend them. I'll defend Apple when I feel there's something that needs to be said. I don't actively run around looking for threads with negative Apple comments. I'm sure there are many negative threads on MR, especially in the Android section, as well as these alternative forums. I only comment when the thread has drawn my interest and I feel I have something to say that nobody else is saying.
That last sentence just about sums things up :)

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Ewwww. Dell....
Really? I have a little XPS13 I bought 16 months ago running Linux, i7, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB memory, 2 USB ports, USB C port, camera card reader, nice keyboard, running both Ubuntu and MX17 Linux. I paid $2000 for it, and it was worth every penny. No, it doesn't have the glowing Apple on it like my old 2006 MBP, but the new MBP's don't have that anymore either. I still have a new iMac that is nice, but I'd take the Dell laptop any day over the current problem laden Apple laptops. BTW, here's an article for you:

https://hackernoon.com/apples-numbe...ys-while-i-continue-to-use-macos-5471f1935ff3

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Good article, and I think its on point such as this
One of the points I made in my original piece was how Apple ignore problems until it affects enough people. I was told this directly by an Apple employee.

This is where I'm at right now:
But I had my reasons. I like macOS and have investment in software (both money and time/experience) and it would be hard to not have access to certain apps.

I'm debating whether I want to keep the Razer laptop or not. For me, the hardware that my new laptop has, is superior so it boils down to macOS and what I lose by going to windows

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Really? I have a little XPS13 I bought 16 months ago running Linux, i7, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB memory, 2 USB ports, USB C port, camera card reader, nice keyboard, running both Ubuntu and MX17 Linux. I paid $2000 for it, and it was worth every penny. No, it doesn't have the glowing Apple on it like my old 2006 MBP, but the new MBP's don't have that anymore either. I still have a new iMac that is nice, but I'd take the Dell laptop any day over the current problem laden Apple laptops. BTW, here's an article for you:

https://hackernoon.com/apples-numbe...ys-while-i-continue-to-use-macos-5471f1935ff3

XPS13 is a nice little machine - I've recommended it to several friends and relatives. Personally, I think the bizarre position of the camera, the plasticy hinge, and the small trackpad would bother me.

Also, for me, reputation matters. After college I worked in IT support and helpdesk. Anything Dell brings back my PTSD from those days. It was awful.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
XPS13 is a nice little machine - I've recommended it to several friends and relatives. Personally, I think the bizarre position of the camera, the plasticy hinge, and the small trackpad would bother me.

Also, for me, reputation matters. After college I worked in IT support and helpdesk. Anything Dell brings back my PTSD from those days. It was awful.

I have so been there. LOL.

Reactions: oneMadRssn

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have so been there. LOL.

I swear this screen is seared into my eyeballs: Caution, it will trigger bad thoughts.

upload_2018-6-28_12-11-0.png

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the bizarre position of the camera
Not that I use the camera on my MBP (or Razer), but that "feature" bothered me enough that it helped drive down the XPS from by by list. Others provided enough of a bezel to place the camera in the proper location, and I think Dell erred in making the bezels so thin. I'd say its the same mentality that drove Apple to make their laptops so thin the keyboards break.

Bananas Ananas

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Massachusetts
After waiting for WWDC in hopes of a decent hardware update, I just couldn't do it anymore. I found a machine with really great specs, easily upgradeable, and that has been performing like a beast for me.

My work is primarily video distribution, so I help editors a lot. I love FCPX, but I also love gaming, raw computing power, and the latest cool tech. So I'm switching to Davinci Resolve as my editing platform.

I will probably get a MacBook Pro when they finally update them, that way I can still coordinate and work with FCPX editors more simply and keep up.

Here are the specs:
i7-7800X Hexacore
32gb DDR4
256 PCIE Drive + 2TB Storage Drive
Nvidia 1080 ti 11gb (I will expand to 2 of these when the prices drop)

Dual 34" Wide monitors, which is giving me tons of real estate for editing and entertainment.

I am really happy so far. It feels like a beast of a machine and I don't feel like I got ripped on the price of the hardware.

Total cost (there was a bundle deal and sale): $4800 + tax

View attachment 766886

You got pretty awesome system over there!

I am thinking of jumping to AW Area-51 myself too. Just waiting them to upgrade to 8th gen Intel and then buying an entry level model. I think it should provide upgradeability for long time down the line.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
As a heavily mac-centric family we're about to throw in the towel and start over fresh with W10.

I already use W10 daily at work and I quite like it. I have it boot-camped at home on our macs. Surprisingly W10 runs far better and smoother on our Apple desktops than High Sierra. For our uses and from our experience so far, both work and personal, if I have to choose one OS as the one that "just works", it would be W10 for us. If anyone asked me the same question 10 years ago when we first moved to OSX from Vista, I would never have guessed we'd be here now, but here we are.

My only reservation is related to the eco-system. As in, do we switch everything from Apple to something else or do we keep one foot here and another there... Right now my family is tightly connected through iCloud; share calendars, iMessage, we have iPhones and iPads etc...

I wish there was an in-depth switchers' guide from macos to Windows that would include the subjects of eco-system and mobile-device integration. I feel like there might be a need for one these days.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Why would the OP wait for WWDC? It's a software event for Developers. It's very unusual for Apple to introduce hardware there...

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
As a heavily mac-centric family we're about to throw in the towel and start over fresh with W10.

I already use W10 daily at work and I quite like it. I have it boot-camped at home on our macs. Surprisingly W10 runs far better and smoother on our Apple desktops than High Sierra. For our uses and from our experience so far, both work and personal, if I have to choose one OS as the one that "just works", it would be W10 for us. If anyone asked me the same question 10 years ago when we first moved to OSX from Vista, I would never have guessed we'd be here now, but here we are.

My only reservation is related to the eco-system. As in, do we switch everything from Apple to something else or do we keep one foot here and another there... Right now my family is tightly connected through iCloud; share calendars, iMessage, we have iPhones and iPads etc...

I wish there was an in-depth switchers' guide from macos to Windows that would include the subjects of eco-system and mobile-device integration. I feel like there might be a need for one these days.
I still have an iPad, iPhone, and iMac. My wife has an Android phone, and I have two Linux laptops. They all share Signal encrypted messaging and Google Drive for a common cloud service. I'm probably not going to get another iPhone or iPad, as they are going directions and with pricing I feel isn't what I want anymore. The Apple "walled garden" has just gotten a little weedy and pricey for me of late. I honestly think they are headed away from the desktop/laptop hardware business. I think they'll either phase them out all together, or license MacOS to subsidiary companies. I hope they go for the subsidiary idea, as I'd like to see new life put into MacOS and hardware development. MacOS still remains a fine BSD founded system, but application and front end development has suffered. We all know the hardware issues of the last 5 years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why would the OP wait for WWDC? It's a software event for Developers. It's very unusual for Apple to introduce hardware there...
Because Apple has a habit of rolling out hardware at WWDC

Source (up to 2014)
  • 2004 New Cinema Displays
  • 2005 Announcement of going to intel
  • 2006 Mac Pro
  • 2007 No hardware
  • 2008 iPhone 3G
  • 2009 Macbook pros, and iPhone 3Gs
  • 2010 iPhone 4
  • 2011 No hardware
  • 2012 MBA and rMBP
  • 2013 New Mac Pro and MBA refresh
  • 2014 No hardware
  • 2015 No hardware
  • 2016 No hardware
  • 2017 iMacs, MBPs, iPads

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Because Apple has a habit of rolling out hardware at WWDC

Source (up to 2014)
  • 2004 New Cinema Displays
  • 2005 Announcement of going to intel
  • 2006 Mac Pro
  • 2007 No hardware
  • 2008 iPhone 3G
  • 2009 Macbook pros, and iPhone 3Gs
  • 2010 iPhone 4
  • 2011 No hardware
  • 2012 MBA and rMBP
  • 2013 New Mac Pro and MBA refresh
  • 2014 No hardware
  • 2015 No hardware
  • 2016 No hardware
  • 2017 iMacs, MBPs, iPads

I did say unusual. ;)

2005 was very developer related. No hardware for sale, that took another 9 months, hence the continued rollout to the Pro users at WWDC in 2006.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
After waiting for WWDC in hopes of a decent hardware update, I just couldn't do it anymore. I found a machine with really great specs, easily upgradeable, and that has been performing like a beast for me.

My work is primarily video distribution, so I help editors a lot. I love FCPX, but I also love gaming, raw computing power, and the latest cool tech. So I'm switching to Davinci Resolve as my editing platform.

I will probably get a MacBook Pro when they finally update them, that way I can still coordinate and work with FCPX editors more simply and keep up.

Here are the specs:
i7-7800X Hexacore
32gb DDR4
256 PCIE Drive + 2TB Storage Drive
Nvidia 1080 ti 11gb (I will expand to 2 of these when the prices drop)

Dual 34" Wide monitors, which is giving me tons of real estate for editing and entertainment.

I am really happy so far. It feels like a beast of a machine and I don't feel like I got ripped on the price of the hardware.

Total cost (there was a bundle deal and sale): $4800 + tax

View attachment 766886

May you enjoy that set up. I loathe Dell beyond belief, and laughed so hard at the IT poster who said Dell gave him PTSD (sorry about that, but that's pretty much how I felt coming out of my first and last encounter with Dell "tech" support and "customer service".) :confused::eek::confused:

However, that's Dell, not you. So no offense in your post here.

I've always used Windows at work, never at home until last year and I disliked it. However, I am running into constant hardware and software issues with my Apple gear and can no longer justify putting out that kind of money for things that no longer work. Case in point, I just unloaded my iPad Pro this morning.

For me, it's whatever OS / OEM works best for the user. It took awhile for me to come to that, but my own experiences and dealing with nothing but change in this last year, has forced me to become the open minded tech user I always thought I was. :p

Now that I begin to understand what I want and need in a system (preferably desktop), it is just a matter of waiting as no one currently makes what I want (a Surface Studio with updated internals).

I appreciate everyone who made the switch and are kind enough to talk about their experiences here, big shout out to @Queen6 for always being so patient with me. I enjoy hearing about your laptop purchases. @maflynn am curious about your Razer laptop too.:)

Reactions: Regime2008

scoobs69

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2009
Thanks for coming here to make the announcement. I am sure millions of MacRumors users would have wondered "hey, where did the new guy go?"... wow.

Then again, "I will probably get a MacBook Pro when they finally update them" isn't really leaving, is it? wow, again.

I love when insecure people venture into the "alternatives for Mac Hardware" and pretend the Mac platform is not only alive, but thriving, when a Mac User migrates to Windows for a legit workstation. Especially when they are in denial about Apple having it's head up it's arse regarding real user workstation needs. ...but yay! for the $5,000 iMac Pro. Apple workstation problem solved. o_O
[doublepost=1531153310][/doublepost]
Just to clarify a couple things...

Sorry for those that are offended. I didn't mean it to be offensive! But since this is an alternatives forum, I posted here. This is an alternative solution for me. And it's really a big deal. I converted most of my family to Apple, but the prices the last few years have been killing me.

Yes, the Mac Pro was an amazing price...for 6 months. Now it's insane that anyone would purchase one, even with the price drops. The iMac Pro is a good deal, but I don't need the bells and whistles that Apple wants me to have. I need the ones that I want to have.

I never bought an Apple where I wasn't happy with the hardware. When I said that in my OP, I was more trying to say that shopping for an Apple computer right now was painful, because I didn't want to drop that much money on older, slower hardware. It's been really tough but when I saw this sale, I couldn't resist.

And as a final follow up...Back to the windows I remember! I spent a couple hours troubleshooting a wireless driver issue. That is something I never did in the last 16 years I've been with Apple. My wireless adapter always just worked out of the box. Here's to praying that I don't have anymore of those little bugs creep up on me.

Good lord, don't apologize. The 2013 Mac Pro was never amazing. It was an expensive non-internally expandable POS on arrival. If some people liked a glorified Mac Mini, hats off to them. I know some people made it work for them - but there are a TON of 2007-2012 Mac Pro users still waiting for something internally expandable and completely user upgradeable. I was one of them, but moved on after waiting 8 years.

Your 7800x system is sweet - plus it has a solid upgrade pathl; from 8-cores all the way to 18-cores. That's beastly. I built a 7820x workstation for $1950 without the display, as I didn't need one. Right now, I could build my exact system for $1,841, or $1,690 without RGB upgrades. Apple could never touch that price point-to-power ratio, much less have any interest in allowing user upgradeability.

If I didn't need a beastly workstation, I'd be entirely happy with my MacBook Air for home use (web browsing, media library).

Last edited:

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I love when insecure people venture into the "alternatives for Mac Hardware" and pretend the Mac platform is not only alive, but thriving, when a Mac User migrates to Windows for a legit workstation. Especially when they are in denial about Apple having it's head up it's arse regarding real user workstation needs. ...but yay! for the $5,000 iMac Pro. Apple workstation problem solved. o_O
[doublepost=1531153310][/doublepost]

Good lord, don't apologize. The 2013 Mac Pro was never amazing. It was an expensive non-internally expandable POS on arrival. If some people liked a glorified Mac Mini, hats off to them. I know some people made it work for them - but there are a TON of 2007-2012 Mac Pro users still waiting for something internally expandable and completely user upgradeable. I was one of them, but moved on after waiting 8 years.

Your 7800x system is sweet - plus it has a solid upgrade pathl; from 8-cores all the way to 18-cores. That's beastly. I built a 7820x workstation for $1950 without the display, as I didn't need one. Right now, I could build my exact system for $1,841, or $1,690 without RGB upgrades. Apple could never touch that price point-to-power ratio, much less who any interest in allowing user upgradeability.

If I didn't need a beastly workstation, I'd be entirely happy with my MacBook Air for home use (web browsing, media library).
I would bet that, like me, that PC in your sig runs more than one operating system. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.