Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryMudd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2021
I bought the 16 inch Max with 32GB. I'm looking at iStat and it shows that I have yet to get the CPU above 25%, and the memory hasn't hit 50% according to the graph. I haven't heard the fans come on once. I've had it about 2 weeks. It's been three days since I charged the battery. This machine has far exceeded my expectations. Guess I'm not a "pro".

Having said all that, I'm still very satisfied with my purchase. I am certain that I could have done everything I do on the basic level 14". But I do like the large screen and I don't travel with the device so size/weight isn't a concern for me.

Maybe this information will help someone trying to decide which model to buy.

Harlowgold1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Ohio - GO BUCKEYES!
Well, I certainly appreciate your feedback! I tend to over-spec my laptops as well. I know there are people on here that have a fit if you mention "future proofing" your machine. We are not the consumers that buy a new laptop every two years. I keep my products pristine and hope to have a product that is worthy of being handed down or sold.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Think of it this way. You will probably never have to worry about your 16” MBP getting hot and it will be dead silent when you use it. I think most people would like to own a quiet and cool running laptop.

Last edited:

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I bought the 16 inch Max with 32GB. I'm looking at iStat and it shows that I have yet to get the CPU above 25%, and the memory hasn't hit 50% according to the graph. I haven't heard the fans come on once. I've had it about 2 weeks. It's been three days since I charged the battery. This machine has far exceeded my expectations. Guess I'm not a "pro".

Having said all that, I'm still very satisfied with my purchase. I am certain that I could have done everything I do on the basic level 14". But I do like the large screen and I don't travel with the device so size/weight isn't a concern for me.

Just curious - do you have an external monitor (or two)?

Between that and MS Teams, I decided to max my new MBP out (still waiting for shipment). Meanwhile, I'm heating my house with my 2019 MBP.

And tonight, I'm roasting marshmallows over the keyboard.

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
It does depend on your intentions - I never sell my old Macs and I keep them going for a fair while.

My last MBP I now no longer use (it’s a top of the line maxed out 2014 model) - but my son uses it everyday for homework, watching youtube and mild gaming etc.

So I just ordered a 64GB 2TB MBP - it may be more than I need most of the time but I do plan on doing some big 3D projects.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021

Nothing you said would help anyone trying to make a decision honestly. You didn't talk about your workflow or what your profession is so for all people know you watch YouTube all day...

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Most people never hit the limit of their speedometer either.
That’s one thing playing with bikes and cars has taught me:
Give it a couple of weeks and you’ll be used to just about any amount of horsepower, and anything less will feel puny in comparison. You may never exceed the posted speed limit but you’ll enjoy getting there quickly.

As people keep saying: The best deal on an Apple computer is when you know exactly what you’ll need and don’t over-purchase. But people keep over-purchasing all sorts of things without anybody batting an eye depending on what they like doing: Cars, houses, TVs, fishing equipment, why not computers?
No-one who doesn’t make a living on driving can rightfully justify owning a car more expensive than a Dacia Sandero, right? It has an engine, wheels and even a roof over its seats.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

Do not get into the guilt of over-buying. You buy what you want. Only thing the people really want to say is to be aware of what you are buying and why. How they say that often comes out completely wrong and sounds like they are policing.

I have the same machine. I bought this for my own reasons. I was going to go with the base M1 Pro then figured I want to make use of the M1 Max GPU. At that point, going for this spec just made more sense since it would be available sooner than the BTO config would have.

I did go over the budget with this purchase, but I did that knowingly that this is what I will appreciate for the time I keep the computer. And I am not disappointed with the purchase one little bit. I know I would have had that nagging thing with the base M1 Pro, so I went with this one.

No buyers's remorse whatsoever. This is a great machine and I cannot quite wait to put it to through its paces when I do. So far I have only been using it lightly, and loving every minute with it.

Enjoy this wonderful machine. I know I am.

Reactions: cmamb and 3Rock

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
As long as long as you enjoy it that all that really matters. I tend to go the opposite way as I look to replace the notebooks fairly frequently and I know my workload. Apple knows it's audience and the base models will easily serve the majority of users.

Q-6

This is correct - if I were to replace this computer in 2-3 years, I would have picked the absolute minimum spec that would get me by. That is what I do with the iPhone. The phone is going to get replaced sooner than my computer, so I keep it the bare minimum I can buy, sometimes even going for used if I get a great deal.

But, with the computer, I do give it good muscle even if I may never utilise it fully.

Reactions: Miat

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Just curious - do you have an external monitor (or two)?

Between that and MS Teams, I decided to max my new MBP out (still waiting for shipment). Meanwhile, I'm heating my house with my 2019 MBP.

And tonight, I'm roasting marshmallows over the keyboard.

I never imagined someone would need to max out an Apple computer because of Microsoft Teams. Gates must be smirking with a devilish smile, but that hurts users and nets Apple a better bottomline! Teams should not cause anyone to max out a configuration !

Reactions: cmamb

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
It does depend on your intentions - I never sell my old Macs and I keep them going for a fair while.

My last MBP I now no longer use (it’s a top of the line maxed out 2014 model) - but my son uses it everyday for homework, watching youtube and mild gaming etc.

So I just ordered a 64GB 2TB MBP - it may be more than I need most of the time but I do plan on doing some big 3D projects.

We should just purchase what we want and can, within reason, of course. If 16 GB is sufficient, people often make it sound like going for 32 is criminal. It is not. It is a choice. The ones who make it are the ones who pay for the choice and end up with a lighter wallet. That's the cost of their choices. No harm done.

I know 16 GB is going to be sufficient for me. I went with 32 GB because I wanted the M1 Max GPU cores. At that point, going for the top config in stock made more sense. I did not need 1 TB. I have been using 256 GB since 2013 and that, too, 150 GB free more or less, at all times. Store most of my data on external drives, and only the 'running data' is what stays on the laptop.

That happened because of the 256 GB drive. The 1 TB now offers me more leeway. Did I need it? No. But, will certainly appreciate and use it. That is all tools are about. You can have the bare minimum screwdriver do the job, and then you can have an assisted screwdriver, or a screwdriver with a better grip and handle. It's just about choices.

Reactions: cmamb

Queen6

macrumors G4
This is correct - if I were to replace this computer in 2-3 years, I would have picked the absolute minimum spec that would get me by. That is what I do with the iPhone. The phone is going to get replaced sooner than my computer, so I keep it the bare minimum I can buy, sometimes even going for used if I get a great deal.

But, with the computer, I do give it good muscle even if I may never utilise it fully.
Notebooks 2-3 years tops, then I gift or repurpose them. The tech advances so fast that unless there's a tangible benefit I don't over spec. Just look at the current Mac line up versus a year or two ago.

Goalposts naturally shift, equally as long as your HW/SW does the job that's all that really matters :)

Q-6

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Notebooks 2-3 years tops, then I gift or repurpose them. The tech advances so fast that unless there's a tangible benefit I don't over spec. Just look at the current Mac line up versus a year or two ago.

Goalposts naturally shift, equally as long as your HW/SW does the job that's all that really matters :)

Q-6

Agreed.

I figured this computer has a brilliant screen, a screamer of a processor and a great GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB storage, I would not have any pressing need for anything new in a good 5 years for what I want to do with the computer in the time. The MacBook Pro 2011 (after upgrading to 256 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM) made me feel the same - no need to upgrade. I sold it only because it was going to lose macOS upgrades after 10.13 and because it was a ticking time bomb with its dGPU chip and to add insult to injury, the speakers suddenly decided to crackle and the battery was shot anyway for over a year.

If hardware is running without issues, then I will only feel I want to upgrade when macOS is not upgraded anymore on this machine.

I did not buy into the Face ID thing till last month. I knew the advantages, I knew I would like it, but my iPhone 7 and 8 were doing everything I wanted to do with them. Only now I decided to take the plunge because of the form factor of the 13 mini. I love everything about the 13 mini, but nothing that I need. It's all that I appreciate - the Face ID tech, the gestures, the OLED display. These are conveniences of life. The phone still works just like the iPhone 4S I started with when it comes to making calls. No improvement there. Dual SIM does not even have proper support in Contacts wherein you could have different library for Primary SIM and different Contacts library for Secondary. What gives! So, there are conveniences. I never bother with the camera, I have a DSLR. But, the 13 mini camera is wonderful indeed.

Same with the new MBP. My MBA 2017 worked fine, I could have attached a USD 400 monitor and called it a day. I didn't need retina. But, I made a choice to go with the 16" because if I did not buy this computer today, I would have bought it next year and that would be an issue since I have other plans with my finances in the coming years. But, having made the choice today, I love every minute with it. The text is crisp, and I can feel my eyes not getting as strained. Larger display has made my seating slightly more ergonomic as against the 13.3 Air.

So, I bought this machine knowing I will keep it till they stop upgrading macOS on it. That amounts to about USD 75 a month to use it for 5 years. That cost is going to get subsumed several times over with the money I will make using this machine.

If only Apple devices were priced fairly in my country, allowing me the luxury of replacing them every 2 years. Would love to do that! I used to change my PC components every 2-3 years, if I remember right. It was the first MacBook Pro in 2011 that made me not bother with anything. I like that. It is liberating, even, sometimes, when you are busy with life and not as interested in upgrading every 2-3 years as you might have been in your previous years. Wow I sound old. Should stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: smirking

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
My sister, who is prone to using colorful language, got a "deal" on a poorly specced Windows laptop, and routinely cussed it out for its slowness. One morning last summer her neighbor stopped her and jokingly asked her to close her computer room window if she's going to be using her computer before 8:00AM on the weekend.

Moral of the story? It's better to "over buy" than to do the opposite ;)

Last edited:

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos

I bought the 14in also 2 weeks ago and am wondering whether I should have bought the 16in. I only use it at home as a "portable" iMac. Might send it back and replace. Amazon allows me to do this until mid Jan 22 (assuming no cosmetic defects etc)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If you're within the return window, you could exchange it. If you wanted the 16" screen, then the only thing that's overkill is the ram. I can exceed 16GB at times on Windows and Linux (and Mac OS last time I used it quite some time ago) but probably not frequently enough to justify the price bump to 32GB.

Well, I certainly appreciate your feedback! I tend to over-spec my laptops as well. I know there are people on here that have a fit if you mention "future proofing" your machine. We are not the consumers that buy a new laptop every two years. I keep my products pristine and hope to have a product that is worthy of being handed down or sold.

It's presumably because the cost of upgrades are rarely proportional to the additional time you might get out of it. Things can happen, including accidents, theft, changes in architectural features (32 to 64 bit, SSE to AVX to AVX2, x86 to Apple Silicon), changes in ports, etc. Just bumping something like ram only makes sense if you're going to use it.

Reactions: macintoshmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.