Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funwithstuff

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Did you mean 64GB of RAM? The Pro is available with 32GB of RAM but not 64GB. You need to choose the Max for 64GB of RAM.

That said I watched a Youtube video that summed it up nicely. It said, paraphrasing, if you don't know which one to choose then the Pro is all you need.
Yes, correct, apologies. You’re right that you can get the M1 Pro with 32GB of RAM, but the RAM upgrade is the expensive part of the upgrade. I suspect most users who need 32GB or more of RAM would benefit from the GPU or video boosts, and it’s worthwhile going to the Max.

Reactions: m1maverick

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I’m on medical retirement; could get by w/PC - but why? purchases are quite feequently driven by emotion amd if you can afford it - ticketyboo... I’m driven by emotion and want. after getting an MBA/MBP I panicked b/c there were no USB ports other than USB-C. All of my external hard drives with video content wouldn't work w/o a hub or dongle so I went and got an iMac. Ot rately gets used (once or twice a week). But it’s there, sitting ready as capacity in case I need/want it.
giphy.gif

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
You know you can get USB-A to USB-C adapters for $2-3 and attach them to all your USB cables, right?

Tha’s a much cheaper solution than buying a new iMac…. :)
One of the issues that comes along with dialysis (that I do myself at home, not hooked up to a machine) is severe OCD, arising out of the necessity to be sterile/clean. I couldn’t live with an adapter. My only regret is that I didn’t wait 1 week and order an M1 iMac - but now I can wait for the M1 iMac Pro.

Now I have a nice little ecosystem where everything can stream, cast and/or connect with/to each other and an iPad Pro. All of my medical data is on every device/iCloud/Pages/etc.

edit: Yes I realize I could have purchased an adapter, or a cable w/the appropriate connectiors. Unless the cable looked symmetrical > issues. Not hurting anyone, all the bills/mortgage get paid, no dependents and I’ve got guaranteed income. Shrug.

I just…..like computers ??

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: steve217 and Queen6

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
i was misled by the videos arguing that 16 gb was sufficient. i returned my 16 gb pro for the 32 gb max. i'm a developer and often running a ton of ram hogging apps. the extra $400 off was very tempting but in the long run if you are a pro making a living on this box it's nothing. not the time to cheap out imo.
did you get the 24 or 32 gpu core?

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
did you get the 24 or 32 gpu core?
i got 24 core gpu. i think for me it's the sweet spot. i'm a developer. i am waiting for the new one to ship and continue to use the 16 pro. it is decent but i think it's a bit under powered for my needs. much much better than my 16" i9 with 32 gb i upgraded from. i also ended up with 2 tbs as i didn't want to have any limits on storage.

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
i got 24 core gpu. i think for me it's the sweet spot. i'm a developer. i am waiting for the new one to ship and continue to use the 16 pro. it is decent but i think it's a bit under powered for my needs. much much better than my 16" i9 with 32 gb i upgraded from. i also ended up with 2 tbs as i didn't want to have any limits on storage.
I've waffled between the 24 and 32 core gpu max's since they are so close in price, I also have the 24, along with 32gb and 2tb.

Reactions: philosopherdog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.