Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Can you share the wallpaper? Is stunning
Sure, it's the original Snow Leopard image from the physical disk, also included Apple's later happier cat LOL.

The original Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard Unedited.jpg

Edited by Apple; contrast, nose & jaw line being different for a softer less aggressive look.
Snow Leopard.jpg

For me the original is the standout as it's the epitome of a big cat, absolutely superb on the M1 Mac's display...

Q-6

Last edited:

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
We should just purchase what we want and can, within reason, of course. If 16 GB is sufficient, people often make it sound like going for 32 is criminal. It is not. It is a choice. The ones who make it are the ones who pay for the choice and end up with a lighter wallet. That's the cost of their choices. No harm done.

I raise you with people
  • demands 32 Gb to be the default configuration for all Macs because anything less makes the Mac useless
  • who needs 32Gb without knowing the definition of the word need as in something which is essential and and required and should be using words like want or desire

• Haha
Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I raise you with people
  • demands 32 Gb to be the default configuration for all Macs because anything less makes the Mac useless
  • who needs 32Gb without knowing the definition of the word need as in something which is essential and and required and should be using words like want or desire

It's a free country, do whatever you please. That was the point, that is still the point.

I never said either of the two bullets - neither did I say I need 32 GB, nor did I say I demand 32 GB. It isn't me who needs to take lessons in language comprehension.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Rock

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
Just curious - do you have an external monitor (or two)?

Between that and MS Teams, I decided to max my new MBP out (still waiting for shipment). Meanwhile, I'm heating my house with my 2019 MBP.

And tonight, I'm roasting marshmallows over the keyboard.

You'll be happy to know that Teams doesn't stress the Apple Silicon devices anywhere near like it does Intel. Fans remain firmly off ?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
You'll be happy to know that Teams doesn't stress the Apple Silicon devices anywhere near like it does Intel. Fans remain firmly off ?

I had to download iStat Menus to start the fans to test if they are working. I didn't want to realise something wrong with them after my warranty got over, just in case.

• Haha
Reactions: smoking monkey

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
I think the reason that folks warn against over-purchasing to “future proof” is that nothing magical is going to happen that makes the GPU cores keep the machine from getting obsolete. When the 16” Pro with 16 cores is obsolete, then the 32 core MAX will also be obsolete. Unless you think you’re going to be doing really graphics intensive work in the next 5 years that you’re not doing now, getting more graphics cores will not be of much use, you’re paying for something you’re not using. If you don’t mind spending extra money for a room in your house you never use, that’s not a problem, but it’s generally bad advice now to tell people that spending top dollar on a maxxed out MAX will future-proof them, or give them a dramatically improved experience in the day to day. If my car has 240 HP, or 160, I can tell the difference every day. If I have 8 unused cores, it’s not making anything faster, but it is draining the battery a bit more than it needs to.
My experience has been the GPUs in my Macs feel old and underpowered before the CPUs do. MacOS itself has changed to take more advantage of GPU features over time.

profcutter

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2019
My experience has been the GPUs in my Macs feel old and underpowered before the CPUs do. MacOS itself has changed to take more advantage of GPU features over time.
If you’re doing GPU-heavy work, that makes sense. If you’re doing web and word and office apps, not so much.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
I bought the 14in also 2 weeks ago and am wondering whether I should have bought the 16in. I only use it at home as a "portable" iMac. Might send it back and replace. Amazon allows me to do this until mid Jan 22 (assuming no cosmetic defects etc)
I talked myself into returning the 14in and getting a 16in. I regret it and im now going back to a 14in. the 16 is too big and heavy even for using around the house unless you plan on using it at a desk for the most part. I have always used 13in macbooks so maybe I just prefer the smaller form factor.

Reactions: drsox

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Yes, the info about power usage pro/max is arising now, not told by Apple.
I was sure about getting the max, just because I can afford it and wanted maximum gpu.
I have finally ordered the M1pro. Battery life is important to me. AND I presume a “Max” will have spent more charging cycles after, let’s say, two years. I’m sure the “pro” will fit my use in two years; not sure how well max batteries will stand after two years.
So, if someone is caring about “future proofing”, take a minute to think also about battery wearing.
I’m still waiting for the Pro, but feel some craving for the max. Some thoughts about this view of future proofing?
Battery replacement is $250 or cheaper if you do it yourself.
Its also a good idea to use some software like "al dente" to keep your battery at a lower % charge while plugged in if you use it plugged in a lot. optimized charging doesnt do a great job of this.

Reactions: smoking monkey

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I usually try to buy enough Mac for 3-5 years. I typically sell/give away my old Macs to friends.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
This is correct - if I were to replace this computer in 2-3 years, I would have picked the absolute minimum spec that would get me by. That is what I do with the iPhone. The phone is going to get replaced sooner than my computer, so I keep it the bare minimum I can buy, sometimes even going for used if I get a great deal.

But, with the computer, I do give it good muscle even if I may never utilise it fully.
I think the game has changed as far as trying to determine purchase (price) to need and how long to keep etc. with the new Silicone macs.

Today..these M1’s are the workhorse and one of the best on the planet….then..next year MacBook Pro will be 7x faster with 3 times the GPU’s, etc. etc.. etc…predictability will be difficult for a few years until we can see Apple’s release and upgrade methods and philosophy etc. It is hard to guess the sweet spot of spending vs longevity right now.

People say they are buying for 5-7 years going from Apple’s offerings from the past to determine purchase right now..but who knows in 3 to 5 years where these MacBooks will be as far as a keeper. In 3 years these machines might be dinosaurs and everyone who said they will keep them for five years plus now will sell them for the beasts yet to come.

It is the name of the game right now…and Apple is dangling the carrot in everyone’s faces and many (including myself) bit or will follow the carrot on the path that Apple has designed to be a “subscription” computer purchase every three to five (or less) years. Brilliant.

Spend $5,000 today and keep it for 5 years…that is $1,000 a year subscription and then buy another…then another…

$ Brilliant Apple..good job Tim. ;)

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I think the game has changed as far as trying to determine purchase (price) to need and how long to keep etc. with the new Silicone macs.

Today..these M1’s are the workhorse and one of the best on the planet….then..next year MacBook Pro will be 7x faster with 3 times the GPU’s, etc. etc.. etc…predictability will be difficult for a few years until we can see Apple’s release and upgrade methods and philosophy etc. It is hard to guess the sweet spot of spending vs longevity right now.

People say they are buying for 5-7 years going from Apple’s offerings from the past to determine purchase right now..but who knows in 3 to 5 years where these MacBooks will be as far as a keeper. In 3 years these machines might be dinosaurs and everyone who said they will keep them for five years plus now will sell them for the beasts yet to come.

It is the name of the game right now…and Apple is dangling the carrot in everyone’s faces and many (including myself) bit or will follow the carrot on the path that Apple has designed to be a “subscription” computer purchase every three to five (or less) years. Brilliant.

Spend $5,000 today and keep it for 5 years…that is $1,000 a year subscription and then buy another…then another…

They will make a multi-X faster computer tomorrow, but I will not need it right away. ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: loby

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Agreed.

I figured this computer has a brilliant screen, a screamer of a processor and a great GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB storage, I would not have any pressing need for anything new in a good 5 years for what I want to do with the computer in the time. The MacBook Pro 2011 (after upgrading to 256 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM) made me feel the same - no need to upgrade. I sold it only because it was going to lose macOS upgrades after 10.13 and because it was a ticking time bomb with its dGPU chip and to add insult to injury, the speakers suddenly decided to crackle and the battery was shot anyway for over a year.

If hardware is running without issues, then I will only feel I want to upgrade when macOS is not upgraded anymore on this machine.

I did not buy into the Face ID thing till last month. I knew the advantages, I knew I would like it, but my iPhone 7 and 8 were doing everything I wanted to do with them. Only now I decided to take the plunge because of the form factor of the 13 mini. I love everything about the 13 mini, but nothing that I need. It's all that I appreciate - the Face ID tech, the gestures, the OLED display. These are conveniences of life. The phone still works just like the iPhone 4S I started with when it comes to making calls. No improvement there. Dual SIM does not even have proper support in Contacts wherein you could have different library for Primary SIM and different Contacts library for Secondary. What gives! So, there are conveniences. I never bother with the camera, I have a DSLR. But, the 13 mini camera is wonderful indeed.

Same with the new MBP. My MBA 2017 worked fine, I could have attached a USD 400 monitor and called it a day. I didn't need retina. But, I made a choice to go with the 16" because if I did not buy this computer today, I would have bought it next year and that would be an issue since I have other plans with my finances in the coming years. But, having made the choice today, I love every minute with it. The text is crisp, and I can feel my eyes not getting as strained. Larger display has made my seating slightly more ergonomic as against the 13.3 Air.

So, I bought this machine knowing I will keep it till they stop upgrading macOS on it. That amounts to about USD 75 a month to use it for 5 years. That cost is going to get subsumed several times over with the money I will make using this machine.

If only Apple devices were priced fairly in my country, allowing me the luxury of replacing them every 2 years. Would love to do that! I used to change my PC components every 2-3 years, if I remember right. It was the first MacBook Pro in 2011 that made me not bother with anything. I like that. It is liberating, even, sometimes, when you are busy with life and not as interested in upgrading every 2-3 years as you might have been in your previous years. Wow I sound old. Should stop.
This is why many buy Apple instead of PC..we want a purchase that is quality and will last a LONG time. We are willing to pay the extra for the durability and we don’t want Apple to create a product that we have to replace every 3 years.

I had back in the day a Sony desktop (liked it). A month after the warranty ended the power supply broke. Was out of luck, Sony said at the time “Sorry..that is how it is”.

We pay the premium pricing because we want quality parts and not affordable generic that are designed to break after a few years or after warranty so you have to buy another. If Apple got into that method of “Affordable”, they would STILL be some what expensive to meet their profit margins, and make up their profit goals by making their systems last only for 3 years so you have to buy again. We don’t want that and don’t want Tim to be tempted to do business like that being from his roots as coming from the supply chains.

Keep the quality components inside, including the not affordable for the masses, but a superior Mac that can last (if taken care of) 8–10 or more years if desired. That has been Apple..let’s not chance and become PC.

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
This is why many buy Apple instead of PC..we want a purchase that is quality and will last a LONG time. We are willing to pay the extra for the durability and we don’t want Apple to create a product that we have to replace every 3 years.

I had back in the day a Sony desktop (liked it). A month after the warranty ended the power supply broke. Was out of luck, Sony said at the time “Sorry..that is how it is”.

We pay the premium pricing because we want quality parts and not affordable generic that are designed to break after a few years or after warranty so you have to buy another. If Apple got into that method of “Affordable”, they would STILL be some what expensive to meet their profit margins, and make up their profit goals by making their systems last only for 3 years so you have to buy again. We don’t want that and don’t want Tim to be tempted to do business like that being from his roots as coming from the supply chains.

Keep the quality components inside, including the not affordable for the masses, but a superior Mac that can last (if taken care of) 8–10 or more years if desired. That has been Apple..let’s not chance and become PC.

This forum is replete with users happily running decade-old Apples that just refuse to rot away into oblivion.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
No-one who doesn’t make a living on driving can rightfully justify owning a car more expensive than a Dacia Sandero, right? It has an engine, wheels and even a roof over its seats.
That's much better than my Aston Martin Vantage Roadster. It's missing the roof, you know.

This is why many buy Apple instead of PC..we want a purchase that is quality and will last a LONG time.
True. It doesn't always work out that way, withness the dGPU and keyboard problems, or the 16" overheating, but generally, yes.

When I bought my first macbook, it was an 11" Air. I came from an eeePC and I thought I'd like the small form factor. But I really couldn't get used to the screen. So I swapped it for a retina 13" and upgraded it to specs that I thought would last me a while. They did. The 2013 retina models were one of those stand-out Apple laptops that beat everything on the market. Two years later, I found myself doing full time software development and even some image processing / AI. Yeah, the 15" would've been better suited for that, but in those days with the dGPU, the 15" was €600 more for the same RAM/SSD config. And the 13" just kept on going.

So the 14", I also slightly overspeced it to make sure it can last for 6 years or more. It's looking like this year's 14" is again one of those stand-out Apple laptops that beats everything on the market. If yes, it will definitely pay off to overspec and to keep it for longer.

salvatore.p

macrumors member
May 18, 2020
This forum is replete with users happily running decade-old Apples that just refuse to rot away into oblivion.

Tech will degrade with age. SSD's became slower with write cycles, capacitors can eventually broke, and so on.
While I was very affectionate to my 2015 13" mbp, after 5 years of daily use, I was aware that I should have swapped to increase my productivity.
I wouldn't invest on "futurproofing", say you want to spent 5000$ on a maxed 16" and take for 5 years: isn't better to just take the base for 2500 (maybe adding another 200$ for 1tb of storage) and swap after 3 years for the current low specced? You will gain in performance and also can resell a not-so-old machine for a good 50% of the price.

Of course, this works if the base model is enough for your actual workflow, otherwise ordering a specced machine shouldn't be considered "futurproofing".
I ordered a 16" Pro/32Gb/1Tb, and was debating if it would be worth spending an extra 400€ for the ram upgrade. Storage is a must, I can imagine myself fill 200gb on first boot with just the developer tools and the source code I need for work. Ram on the other hand isn't that mandatory, but my workflow will benefit from and in the end I decided to take it.
I can also take the Max for "only" 200€, but as I will not use the GPU for my actual workflow I decided to save that extra.

I can't imagine working with older Core 2 Duo MacBooks.
I can't imagine myself to work with my gf's i7-4520U/16Gb/SSD/GTX850 daily, which she use for autocad/photoshop/revit/3ds/sketchup/etc
I can't even imagine myself working with my own built hackintosh (Skylake-X 7800x oc'd to 4.8Ghz + RX5700XT) after trying that M1 Mini my company sent me. Every time I start that monster of machine I feel extremely slow compared to the M1, Xcode takes ages to just start.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
Notebooks 2-3 years tops, then I gift or repurpose them. The tech advances so fast that unless there's a tangible benefit I don't over spec. Just look at the current Mac line up versus a year or two ago.

Goalposts naturally shift, equally as long as your HW/SW does the job that's all that really matters :)

Q-6

Yes, there have been huge leaps in the last 2 years, mostly due to M1 and now M1 Pro/Max. However, I don't think we will see such large jumps for a long time, if ever.

Hopefully, Apple will advance Apple Silcon iterations more than Intel has in the last decade, but I think we shoudn't set our expectations unreasonably high. A 10-20% annual improvement for the same class of SoC (i.e. M1, Pro, Max, Max Duo, Max Quad ....) sounds likely looking at recent iPhone/iPad advances.

I think we've just had the "big leap", which is why I think now is a good time to get onboard with Apple Silicon.

I'd love to be proven wrong and blown away by big jumps every year, but I think this is just wishful thinking of a self-confessed fan-boy :)

salvatore.p

macrumors member
May 18, 2020
I expect a release cycle of 2 year for the mac lineup once the transition is complete.
Every iteration should improve far more than the 10% Intel used to.
It could be reasonable a new M2 Pro with 30-40% single core and 50-60% CPU improvement in 2023, due to new core architecture, 3nm pp which can unlock higher clocks, and ram improvement. GPU side can improve even more, and also the Neural Engines.

If it would be true, in two iterations (4-5 years) this M1 Pro will be outperformed by a very big margin. Hence, futurproofing would not make huge differences.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
OP if you have the money to spec up then by all means do it. It gets so tiring in here listening to people tell others "You don't need a MacBook Pro" or "You don't need this or that spec." People can buy whatever they want and if its working for you then by all means enjoy it.

Last edited:

Larabee119

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014

I’m having a hard time understanding your logic.

You can spend $5,000 today, claim tax under business expense this year, make it free, then use it to make $25,000 month for 3 years, sell it for $1,500 later. That is my case. Your mileage may very.

Reactions: jerryk and ader42

Ignacio Russo

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2021
Just curious - do you have an external monitor (or two)?

Between that and MS Teams, I decided to max my new MBP out (still waiting for shipment). Meanwhile, I'm heating my house with my 2019 MBP.

And tonight, I'm roasting marshmallows over the keyboard.
We are out of 16 Max/64GB/8TB machines until January, please buy the others.

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.